Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    The only two things I'm mad about are that they didn't fix the button configuration (needs to be like the 650 IMO) and that they chopped the battery (or at least I would assume so) to 1200 mah.

I expected everything else to be the same. Considering that the battery isn't as big, I'll probably just pickup a 700p when the prices start dropping, or wait for the next WM Treo on Sprint.
    a funny thing about the buttons is that the phone/calender and messaging/home button are one solid button that you rock either way. Not four seperate buttons.
    Quote Originally Posted by tj8212 View Post
    I think you are all looking at this from the wrong perspective. I dont think this is meant to be an upgrade for 700p users, your device will come in october. This is more of getting the 700p up to date interms of form factor in my opinion
    October?
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Where the hell is everyone getting this 1200 mAh rating from, just an assumption from the 750? I'd almost guarantee that's not the case. This is CDMA and EVDO, 1200 mAh would probably only last an hour or two. I know Palm is dumb, but I don't think they're quite that dumb.
    <<I know Palm is dumb, but I don't think they're quite that dumb.>>

"Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    it is a upgrade for me. Even though I have a 680. the EVDO speed would be great.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    I am gonna go out on a limb and suggest that a lot of the specs people are throwing out here are legit which leaves me some what happy with my 700P.

Even if palm is not targeting current users with their new line they are making a big mistake by thinking that word of mouth thru forums like here won't hurt their sales because they've become known as a company that does not support its products and who waits for hackers to solve problems.
    For ex. the security issue, the fat 32 hack and a couple years ago it was dial up networking.

I think my next smartphone will be the HTC treo 700wx.
    Audio thru BT
    Current and often updates to the OS
    Cheap Cheap and did I say getting cheaper by the hour SD cards.
    This reminds me of when I was a 600 user and the the 650 was announced. No one wanted to make the same jump, but people did (myself not included). I went to PPC-6600/6700 and then eventually to the 650 after a year and some change. Now, I have the 700wx, and I don't have to worry about there not being an alternative anymore.

I left the 700p as soon as the wx hit home and I have never been happier. My brother won't even think about jumping ship from the 700p (which I got him hooked on in the first place).

Bottom line, people will buy this device, people will love it, people will hate it. It will sell and if that happens, Palm does not see anything wrong with their convention of doing things. This device is NOT for 700p users, it REALLY isn't. It is purely for achieving new customers to the ever growing smartphone market.
    problem is without the innovation they once had, their company will die. (current news even indicates they may be short-lived, unless someone picks them up and re-invests...)

The 755 is not a true innovation, just a slight improvement on the 700p/
    Quote Originally Posted by dcopperfield View Post
    problem is without the innovation they once had, their company will die. (current news even indicates they may be short-lived, unless someone picks them up and re-invests...)

The 755 is not a true innovation, just a slight improvement on the 700p/
    '

I disagree to a certain extent. we that want the most innovative devices make up a tiny percent of the market. The reality is that mass market( both your mobile professional and mobile accomplisher) still feel the treo is the most advanced/amazing device they have ever used.
    While Palm will need to innovate, they are no where near dying nor are they even behind.
    '

I disagree to a certain extent. we that want the most innovative devices make up a tiny percent of the market. The reality is that mass market( both your mobile professional and mobile accomplisher) still feel the treo is the most advanced/amazing device they have ever used.While Palm will need to innovate, they are no where near dying nor are they even behind.
    I find this part hard to believe. One must remember that while Palm is trying to grow the market buyers are still upgrades, nearly 75%.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I find this part hard to believe. One must remember that while Palm is trying to grow the market buyers are still upgrades, nearly 75%.

Surur
    Can you verify that number. My sense is that majority of users still have the 650 and thus the 755 upgrade is very attractive.
    I doubt palm will be dumb enough to release a 755 expecting a massive amount 700p user to upgrade. I sense it will be mor targeted to 650 users and new users.
    If they are targeting new users that haven't made the smart phone leap, then the price needs to be near the 680 price, not the premium they are rumored to ask. If something should change since they started to make the 700P, at least the production costs should be down. This is assuming that this has almost no upgrades like is rumored here.
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    Can you verify that number. My sense is that majority of users still have the 650 and thus the 755 upgrade is very attractive.
    Not this 650 owner. Palm isn't getting another dime from me. Chopping off an antenna, or painting it colors isn't innovation. My next phone will be from Apple, and perhaps a Q to hold me over the next few months.

I can't believe some of you lemmings. Ed C. could drop a deuce, paint it some fugly orange, slap a keyboard on it, and you'll flood T|C with "Who's gonna buy Ed's new Piece O' Crap!!!" and "I Just ordered Ed's New Piece O' Crap!!!!" "My Piece Of Crap Has Been Loaded Onto The UPS Truck, And Is Only Two Blocks AWAY!!!!"

Amazing...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I don't understand the statement about this being an attractive upgrade for 650 users. If that were true then wouldn't the 700p have also been an attractive upgrade that they would've already purchased?

What about this phone would make it a more attractive upgrade than 700p? An internal antenna?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    I doubt palm will be dumb enough to release a 755 expecting a massive amount 700p user to upgrade. I sense it will be mor targeted to 650 users and new users.
    I believe the number is from one of those end of quarter conference calls, but I dont have a source at the moment. Does it sound intuitively wrong?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion View Post
    Not this 650 owner. Palm isn't getting another dime from me. Chopping off an antenna, or painting it colors isn't innovation. My next phone will be from Apple, and perhaps a Q to hold me over the next few months.

I can't believe some of you lemmings. Ed C. could drop a deuce, paint it some fugly orange, slap a keyboard on it, and you'll flood T|C with "Who's gonna buy Ed's new Piece O' Crap!!!" and "I Just ordered Ed's New Piece O' Crap!!!!" "My Piece Of Crap Has Been Loaded Onto The UPS Truck, And Is Only Two Blocks AWAY!!!!"

Amazing...
    Maybe....
    But the truth is I have paid less aquiring the incremental upgrades since the 600 than I ever have replacing reg cell phones over the years.

I purchased the 600 for about $350 then later was upgraded to the 650 and then eventually the 700p for free. I purchased the wife a new 650 on a corp special for $100. Total investment $450.

Bottom line is that if the 700p would let me listen to audiobooks and dial the phone with a BT headset, it would already do all I need. If the 755p does those things I will buy one. Of course in my city we still don't have EVDO so when that finally launches, it will already be like a new toy for me.

I hear lots of arguments that the competition is catching up (translation...palm still ahead). I have yet to hear a convincing argument that they have been passed. The Q is ugly and looks like a calculator. The blackberry is too restricted etc... I really thing the form factor was and still is a huge success. Until it becomes outdated, I honestly don't know what change I would even be happy with. Its kinda like tires still being round... I hope they don't change that anytime soon
    once the treocentral users find all the bugs, I will make my decision... I'm not hard to please, I just want a palm O/S EVDO device as stable as my current 650... the 700p wasn't the answer, maybe this will be it... otherwise I will have to switch to wm6.. or maybe wait for a 3g iphone(a big maybe)
    Last edited by R1_Rydah; 03/31/2007 at 10:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    You mean, like the major revision going from the 650 to the 700, since thats a jump in model number?

Let's face it, the only ones capable of any innovation were Handspring, who as a smaller company developed the Treo 600 with a much smaller R&D budget than Palm. Palm buys them back, and then just keeps releasing incremental upgrades, why is that any surprise.

I really do wish that Handspring was still separate. That being said, I like the form factor of the Treo as is, and think getting rid of the antenna on the 700p is the only really form factor related change I find necessary. However, Palm really should stick to SDHC, we're just starting to get 8GB cards, and I'd hate to have to jump back to 2GB cards in mini or micro SD (not to mention the fact I already have 5 different SD cards that are compatible with all my devices.)
    Uhh... yeah if Handspring was still an independent company, there would be NO company at all because they would have failed to exist by now...

Seriously though, all you peeps need to stop expecting soooo friggn much from Palm. I mean wtf, did you really expect some marvelous sh!t or what? Same incrementalism as always...that's the modus operandi for Palm. Namely, create something innovate once every 5-10 years or so and then milk it to absolute death with incremental and slightly evolutionary changes until the market passes you by. In the meantime, hope to gawd Hawkins dreams up some new fancy device to save the company's arse in the future. It's worked a couple time with the palm pilot and treo....lets see if JH can do it again...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    ( the sound of archie bunker's toilet flush reverberates from atop the second level....)
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    Until it becomes outdated, I honestly don't know what change I would even be happy with. Its kinda like tires still being round... I hope they don't change that anytime soon
    Thats fine. Too bad Palm is still making wagon wheels, while everyone else has advanced to rubber tires, inner tubes, tubeless, bias ply, radial ply...but yeah, at least you get a wagon wheel in friggin' Crimson, oh and with less spokes then the previous version... Yay Palm!!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast