Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213
    Man I can see it 6 months from now. Insurance will eventually start giving you the 755p as replacements for 700p when they run out of it. That means I'll have to fork out more money for a miniSD card. This blows!
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode View Post
    Man I can see it 6 months from now. Insurance will eventually start giving you the 755p as replacements for 700p when they run out of it. That means I'll have to fork out more money for a miniSD card. This blows!
    Oh itll happen a whole heck of a lot sooner than that... I don't know about your past experiences, but I have virtually no doubt my lazy sprint store will do upgrade insurance replacements by mid-june at the latest... They keep virtually 0 stock of refurb smartphones, every single handset I've ever received has been new in box
    Just waiting for the day my Pre has contacts grouping, and a "speed dial" for text messaging
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    hey guys - don't you think Palm is just trying to EXPAND the market for their devices, rather than necessarily trying to appeal to you folks the techno-elite? Meaning, that the 755p isn't necessarily targeted at you, the current users. It's targeted at new users to the converged device market, trying to bring them into the fold.
    I think JohnnyMac hits the nail on the head. I'm a loooooong-term Palm user (Pilot 5000, IIIx, V, Clie, T3, Tx), but haven't been tempted by the Treos because the form factor just never worked for me. Too big, heavy and awkward to guarantee my PDA would always be with me. Sawing off the antenna and shaving the weight and size slightly will finally get me to make the jump.

I suspect that many long-term Treo users are heavy cell phone users who love the fact that they can have a PDA in their cell phone. I think the 755p is intended to bring the more PDA-focused Palm users into the Treo fold, letting us have a cell phone in our PDA.

Or maybe I'm just crazy. But the 755p is the first Treo that I'd even consider buying.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    hey guys - don't you think Palm is just trying to EXPAND the market for their devices, rather than necessarily trying to appeal to you folks the techno-elite? Meaning, that the 755p isn't necessarily targeted at you, the current users. It's targeted at new users to the converged device market, trying to bring them into the fold.

You guys seem to take it personally that this device isn't the breakthrough that you want (and seem to think you deserve) - that's natural, but all I'm saying is that it's <possible> that the 755p is intended to get users who don't ALREADY have Treos, to see the value. A smaller device, with no antenna will possibly appeal to a new user. Yes, you, the grizzled and hardened techie, may be put off by it, but maybe you're not the target.

Just something to consider....(and I'm putting on my flame-retardent suit right now for the bombs that are going to be headed my way).
    Allow me to quote the article:

Not included in the ROM is the well-received phone application found on the Treo 680. Instead the phone interface on the 755p is identical to the one found on the Treo 700p. Asked for comment, Palm noted that the 755p is more of a power-user / business phone compared to the 680.

And then note the key phrase of that quote: Palm noted that the 755p is more of a power-user / business phone.

I'm not flaming you here...but if Palm claims that this is a power-user/business device, then we who are upset seem to be the target. The 680p seems to be the "trendy Treo" targeted at the market you're speaking of.

I've been waiting since the Treo 650p for voice-dialing over Bluetooth. Still nothing, and by comparison, the simple Motorola RAZR has been able to do that for how long?. Been waiting eight months for Palm to fix the SMS-text lockup with Verizon phones (and that ought to be simple matter, not enabling a new feature). Still nothing. Been waiting for Bluetooth support that isn't either erratic, or causes headsets (including those on Palm's approved list) to crash-reboot the phone. Still waiting. I was hoping they'd arrive with a new phone with hardware that might fix lag issues (esp. under "No Signal) that they hinted was a result of the cross platform hardware design of the 700p/700w. And instead they reuse the same hardware with a slightly different outer shell, so either someone fibbed, or they don't care that much about the customer.

The point of a new device is to innovate. Instead, it appears Palm stuck the electronics of a previous device in a slightly newer shell, and updated the software just a little bit, and is charging more. I personally hope that the word gets out to people to hold off purchasing a 755p until someone (not CNet/Ziff-Davis, but a real, live user) tests one for a good 30-60 days and gets back to the rest of us. Nobody has made the perfect smartphone yet,and I'm now expecting that my hopes for the 755p are going to turn out the same as my hopes for the 700p -dashed.
    This is why I really get irritated with marketing people who think a few flashy words and graphics will somehow actually change what a device is. Call a 680 a "consumer smartphone" because it lacks 3G... but I still had someone complain "I just want to make a phone call... this is too hard" when I handed it to them. ('course, that was because it was still hooked up to my BT headset... oops!)

Palm can attempt to create all the potential market segments it likes. But if you sit down and compare these buggers on the facts (heck, they provide their own comparsion chart at http://www.palm.com/us/products/compare/index.html ... the marketing people must just HATE that ) they really aren't all that different.
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    Who?? I just spent the last month frantically searching for a device because I am sick of Sprint not having EVDO here. There simply is NOT a better device on the market today.
    Old post, I know, but...

Just because there isn't a better device doesn't mean the Treo is good. It just means that everything else is not as good as it is.

I'm still looking for that killer smartphone. There isn't one out there that does the things I want yet, and I don't think my needs are all that exotic. The Treo probably does about 75-80% of I want --but that isn't 100%, and it isn't stable for a number of my daily-use features. Palm has also failed to implement useful features already found on not-so-smart-phones that all of us could use.

Am I picky? When my company pays several hundred dollars to buy me a cell phone, darn tootin' I am. I'm hoping to see more Symbian-based stuff, or possibly something running OpenMoko for some renewed competition. The issue that allows Palm not to innovate is not that they're the best, it's that nobody else is stepping up to the plate.
    Last edited by LoneWolf15; 05/09/2007 at 10:21 AM.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode View Post
    Hi

Well if my 650 blows up and my Sprint replacement "Insurance" replaces it with a 755p because they don't have any refurbed 650s left, I'd take it.. but I'm not gonna trade in my 700p for a 755p.. I've got a ton of SD cards.. not a single miniSD card.. I LIKE the stubby antenna.. it makes a handy little handle to get the phones in and out of tight cases.. The 700p is my main media machine (Kinoma, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, mOcean, smarTVideo, TeleNav, Sling Player mobile).. while the 650 is my workhorse phone phone.. I make 99% of my calls on the 650.. hardly anyone has my 700p's number.. I carry both of them around with me..

If I had to switch my 650 for a 755p I'd have to get miniSD cards.. new cases.. and the 755p has a smaller battery than the 700p which is the pinnacle of stupidity for a phone on an EVDO network that you'd WANT to use for streaming media, which is a real battery-eater.. the 755p should have had a bigger battery, not a smaller one.. what is Palm smoking?..

I could care less what color the phone is.. mine are always in cases anyway.. it's functionality, compatibility with my existing accessories.. and the ability to do what i want to do with a smart phone that sells it to me.. not what color it is.. kinda like cars.. black cars might look mean and macho but they also get 20 degrees hotter inside when you park them in the sun than a light-colored car does.. so you wanna be macho and sweat or you wanna be not macho and not scald yourself on the seats and steering wheel?..

So yeah, if my 650 does a meltdown and i need it replaced, I'll take a 755p as a replacement, if that's what Sprint replaces broken 650s with.. I wouldn't mind having another EVDO-capable phone.. but I'm sure not gonna be pushing people out of the way to replace my 700p with one..

These are just my opinions, but you're welcome to buy them..

Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 05/09/2007 at 05:32 PM.
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213