Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.swCP3.com/TreoLock/TreoLock.GIF

PS: See v1.0b7 in post #13
    PPS: See v1.1b2 in post #29
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by GreenHex; 04/03/2007 at 12:09 PM.
    Game over!
    What does this do? The screenshot is pretty...I like the fancy slider button I think you need to put your Treo down and go outside for awhile...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    What does this do? The screenshot is pretty...I like the fancy slider button I think you need to put your Treo down and go outside for awhile...
    Yeah... you're right...

Anyways, this is an alternative KeyGuard lock for Treos, and is supposed to fix the much discussed (on T|C) keyguard problem in the Treo 680... It will work on the 650 and the 700p as well.

- mvk
    Thank you Thank you thank you!!!

*me goes to try it out...
    -----------------
    http://kunjan.net
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by kunjan View Post
    Thank you Thank you thank you!!!

*me goes to try it out...
    It appears that it still does not address the 680 (and 650) issue... But I'm working on it.

- mvk

PS: watch out for resets on incoming calls (rare), the caller IDs are not captured . I'll fix this on top priority.
    Well, I got to get it to display its own keyguard, but it displays it *after* the attention manager alert. This was with Palm's keyguard disabled. It also lets as many as keys as you want go through to the attention manager. I can only display the "slide it to unlock screen" it after i clear the attention manager alert.

Also it doesnt engage always on power off. I had keyguardtime+, i disabled that even then I had this bug. It does engage if the Treo has been asleep for 1 minute. I am guessing you still have that variable hard coded?

Either ways, This is very encouraging. Butler is an option that works, but its way to bloated for me. I dont need that many features.

Whens the next beta coming out. I am getting this!

Thanks!!!
    -----------------
  7.    #7  
    Well, I got to get it to display its own keyguard, but it displays it *after* the attention manager alert.
    You mean *before* the Attention Dialog is displayed...

Also it doesnt engage always on power off. I had keyguardtime+, i disabled that even then I had this bug. It does engage if the Treo has been asleep for 1 minute. I am guessing you still have that variable hard coded?
    I don't know what is happening, but on the 650, it displays immediately on power-on, at any time. I've not hard-coded the time-out.

- mvk

PS: I know what is happening, TreoLock relies on Sleep and Wake notifications, (no 'hede' ). So if the Treo display is switched off, but there may be something happening (play mp3s, network related), in which case the Treo is not really asleep, and the pop-up fails to display.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    You mean *before* the Attention Dialog is displayed...

I don't know what is happening, but on the 650, it displays immediately on power-on, at any time. I've not hard-coded the time-out.

- mvk

PS: I know what is happening, TreoLock relies on Sleep and Wake notifications, (no 'hede' ). So if the Treo display is switched off, but there may be something happening (play mp3s, network related), in which case the Treo is not really asleep, and the pop-up fails to display.
    Yep, I noticed that on palm internals. Is there a way to fix that without using hede? I dont even mind if you have to use hede, as long as the performance penalty isnt huge. For reference palminternals gives me 3 seconds on the speed test now. With butler on it its 8 seconds.

And no on the 680, its displayed *after* the attention manager
    -----------------
    is the Wake notification sent when the Palm os keyguard is active? if so there can be a program that will eat up the first keystroke when the keyguard is active with "hede". right? That means tho the slide feature will not work.

I dont know if this is possible or not. I know nothing about programming on the palm platform. Just know a bit on how it (tries to ) work.....
    -----------------
  10.    #10  
    is the Wake notification sent when the Palm os keyguard is active? if so there can be a program that will eat up the first keystroke when the keyguard is active with "hede". right? That means tho the slide feature will not work.

I dont know if this is possible or not. I know nothing about programming on the palm platform. Just know a bit on how it (tries to ) work.....
    The wake notification is sent when the device is asleep (doing nothing, and the screen is off, the kbd is off) and something happens (call, alarm timeout, snooze, net activity, maybe a phone registration etc.) that requires to be processed/ requries display/ user attention.

I suspect the keyguard (and TreoLock too) is just a dumb form that consumes events... The wake happens much before the keyguard form is displayed. In theory, it should be the last thing, and the fact that the Attention Manager gets to be the last form displayed is the problem with the 650 and 680.

The slide feature will work because it does not rely on keypresses.

- mvk
    I suspect the keyguard (and TreoLock too) is just a dumb form that consumes events... The wake happens much before the keyguard form is displayed. In theory, it should be the last thing, and the fact that the Attention Manager gets to be the last form displayed is the problem with the 650 and 680.
    I wonder how does the internal keyguard jumps on top of everything then.
    Is it possible that when TreoLock gets a Wake event, it will set up an HEDE and eat up every key press, until it detects the keyguard being displayed(is it possible to detect that?) after that keyguard is displayed TreoLock will eat up one more key (to fix that retard 680 bug) .. remove itself from the HEDE queue and wait for the next wakeup event?
    -----------------
  12.    #12  
    I wonder how does the internal keyguard jumps on top of everything then.
    Is it possible that when TreoLock gets a Wake event, it will set up an HEDE and eat up every key press, until it detects the keyguard being displayed(is it possible to detect that?) after that keyguard is displayed TreoLock will eat up one more key (to fix that retard 680 bug) .. remove itself from the HEDE queue and wait for the next wakeup event?
    Native Treo apps always have an advantage that they have a huge repository of undocumented APIs and notifications to fall-back on. They can do pretty much as they please. (I really faced an up-hill task with TreoSpot to get the LAC and CellID, something that is taken for granted even in idiotic Nokia phones. People wonder why Nokia's and WM phones are popular. It must be for this reason; UI and ease of use is one thing, but the back-end APIs are important too).

I will not be using 'hede' as I think this has been removed from the 680 OS build. It was always suspect, along with so many other tricks used by developers. This is the reason many apps are now broken.

Anyways, I have a TreoLock beta that does away with all this mess, and is a pretty clean implementation. And now it handles alerts as well, just the way it should. It has some minor operational (for the user) faults though, that I think the user can get used to...

I'll be posting it in the evening, in a couple of hours, as I have to go out now.

- mvk
    Game over!
  13.    #13  
    See if this works (it works properly on my Treo 650).

Please report any "operational problems" I mentioned in my previous post (that you don't like). These are *not* bugs, but it is just the way TreoLock is implemented and works, some can be changed, some can't.

I have a few listed, but I'd like feed-back on what you all think.

- mvk

PS: It so happens that the sounds are silenced by keypresses with the latest beta v1.0b7, but at least the keypresses are not transmited to the underlying attention manager dialog. Is this acceptable?

I think the sounds are being silenced independent of anything else... this is how it works even when the phone rings.

v1.1b2 in Post #29
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by GreenHex; 04/03/2007 at 12:06 PM.
    Hi GreenHex:

I got a referral to www.swCP3.com for a key when I installed v1.0b7 but I can't find TreoLock posted there yet or on the link back to your TreoTown site...

Cheers

Also, hopefully some of the other members who are aware of the native keyguard problem will join in and help with testing and feedback.

Hey kunjan... that's some great feedback too!
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_OTR_Fan View Post
    I got a referral to www.swCP3.com for a key when I installed v1.0b7 but I can't find TreoLock posted there yet or on the link back to your TreoTown site...
    It's not yet posted there, everything is happening here in T|C. It takes just as much time to put it up on (and maintain) the website as takes to develop an application.

v1.0b7 works? I doubt it... or are we close to the target? The sad part is bizarre things are happening on my Treo, and TreoLock is not behaving as expected in v1.0b8 (not yet posted).

- mvk
    GreenHex:

I'm unable test or use v1.0b7 at all because there is a front-end registration dialog that requires a registration key to be entered which I am unable to obtain following the instructions on the TreoLock:Registration form.

Was this intended during testing?

Cheers!
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_OTR_Fan View Post
    GreenHex:

I'm unable test or use v1.0b7 at all because there is a front-end registration dialog that requires a registration key to be entered which I am unable to obtain following the instructions on the TreoLock:Registration form.

Was this intended during testing?

Cheers!
    This is an unintended consequence of my stupidity... let me see what I can do.

- mvk
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Am I retarded? I cant even find an icon for the program once installed. Tried hotsync and manually installing it...
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by odnerd View Post
    Am I retarded? I cant even find an icon for the program once installed. Tried hotsync and manually installing it...
    Nothing to worry about, everybody has their moments...

It will be in ther Preferences Panel (Launcher->Prefs), right at the bottom, in "Others"
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    aaaah. Thank you kind sir...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast