Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    While it is booting up, hold the red power key down. It will be completly shut off then.
    You can solve 99% of the Treo's problems with a hard reset.
    While it's booting up from a reset or when the radio is turning on? If you hold the red phone button during a reset, doesn't that take you to the hard reset option?
    Yeah I don't quite get what the post is about here either.. As far as I know the only way to shut off power completely is to take out the battery.
    No. He's right. To the extent you can shut off the power "completely" without taking the battery out, you could press the red button while booting up. Or, you could just press the red button any time.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    No. He's right. To the extent you can shut off the power "completely" without taking the battery out, you could press the red button while booting up. Or, you could just press the red button any time.
    I still don't understand. Doesn't that just turn the radio and/or screen off? It doesn't turn the PDA functions off, right?
    Yes, of course. But nothing, short of pulling the battery, will do that.
    Well, I got the feeling "question" was trying to tell everyone that you can completely shut the 680 off by using his procedure. Don't most people know how to shut the radio off? I thought he discovered some new "trick".
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    ... I thought he discovered some new "trick".
    Clearly, so did he. The excitement was palpable.
    So..anyone tried it?!
    Yeah, I've hit the power button my Treo's a gadzillion times in the last two years.

It awes me every time. The screen goes blank. Where does all the data go!? I carefully hit the power button and BLAM there it's back. At first, it worried me... Now I'm sorta okay with it.

But that light bulb in the fridge... That one I'm not so sure about.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Yeah, I've hit the power button my Treo's a gadzillion times in the last two years.

It awes me every time. The screen goes blank. Where does all the data go!? I carefully hit the power button and BLAM there it's back. At first, it worried me... Now I'm sorta okay with it.

LOL!!!

Why hasn't question returned to explain what he's talking about?
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    Why hasn't question returned to explain what he's talking about?
    I have it on good authority it's because answer showed up.
    If you press the red button, the light bulb in the fridge also goes off, but only when the door is closed. This is why you don't have to recharge your fridge every night like the 680. You could get the same performance out of the 680 if you wanted it approximately the same size, which is what the mammoth Seidio battery basically accomplishes.
    If you press the red button, the light bulb in the fridge also goes off, but only when the door is closed. This is why you don't have to recharge your fridge every night like the 680. You could get the same performance out of the 680 if you wanted it approximately the same size, which is what the mammoth Seidio battery basically accomplishes.
    So if I forget to charge the Treo the fridge light won't work??
    So if I forget to charge the Treo the fridge light won't work??
    Don't be ridiculous. As soon as the Treo goes off, the fridge light does the same. As long as the door is closed. It's all in the manual.
    Ah yes but none of these answers help questions statement, nor do they answer if a tree falls...
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    This is why you don't have to recharge your fridge every night like the 680.
    And here I thought that long black cord sticking out the back of my fridge was what was keeping the power going. But I guess that's just to keep the fridge attached to the wall. Wouldn't want it to roll away...

But are you sure that the fridge light goes out when you shut the door? Have you put a web cam in there to check? Isn't it a bit like Schroedinger's cat (search Wikipedia)? Until you actually observe the light, you don't know if it's on or off.

Bob
    Palm IIIc=>Sony Clie T665=>Palm T3=>Palm Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbd View Post
    Isn't it a bit like Schroedinger's cat (search Wikipedia)? Until you actually observe the light, you don't know if it's on or off.

Bob
    Crap. I changed the nature of this discussion by viewing it. Damn that Heisinger and his principle!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInDiego View Post
    Crap. I changed the nature of this discussion by viewing it. Damn that Heisinger and his principle!
    WTF? Reality being dependent on conscious observers actually observing it was posited by Bishop George Berkeley years ago if you know your philosophy. It's only the weird crap coming out of current quantum theory that sounds suspiciously like observations affect the nature of reality.

And it's Heisenberg, btw, and his principle was more to do with the fact that at quantum sizes, you cannot measure the momentum and the position accurately at the same time (because you'd use a light beam to measure the position (i.e. where it was)... and that light beam would end up moving the thing you're looking at). So it's one or the other... i.e. 'uncertainty principle'

Sod this interesting crossover between mid-millenium metaphysical philosophy and current theories of quantum reality... I want to know why the **** my 2400 mAh battery doesn't work properly in my 680. And yes, I have some scientific knowledge, and yes I'm being methodological in my approach to working out the problem, but **NO** I have not been able to work out why it works sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't.

It's like voodoo. And I don't spend time learning about science to find out that simple electronic devices like a Treo rely on spiritual voodoo to work with batteries of the *same damn voltage and current* but bigger capacity. This whole situation is ridiculous. And I'm sitting here trying 650 OEM batteries, 680 OEM batteries, 680 2400 mAh extended, and three different chargers, and none of them respond consistently regarding bootup or whether they'll even boot fully.

And until I bought this extended battery for my 680 (because it won't last a full business day) - everything worked with all chargers and cradles. WTF indeed.
    Palm since '98... Treo 600 Treo 650 Treo 680 ...what's next?
    Oh dear...
    I leave you alone for just one day, and you have all gone very silly....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast