Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all (again),

I've been off the boards for a couple months while I "thought" I had been shipped a suitable replacement device for the troublesome treo 650's and 680's I 'd had. (Cingular subscriber and cingular branded devices). Their warranty dept ended up sending me an HP ipaq 6925 which at first seemed like it was going to work for me - although the windows mobile platform was a bear to try and work with after being so used to the ease and intuitive responses of the Palm platform.

ALso the screen resolution was hard on the eyes on the ipaq - vwery disappointing to have a device with a huge area of screen real estate and it has such poor resolution. But I thought a few trade offs would have to be endured for a working device.

I was shipped that device in January. At firse the device got great reception, wonderful voice clarity and all I had to do was learn the operating system. I loaded a few programs as noted in myprevious posts to kind of make WM5 more like Palm OS and still didn't run into any issues with incompatibilities. But the device has started gaining horrible intermittant static.

Bear with me - this is not a post about the HPipaq - well, not really. Bottom line is through some very insistent calls on my part I
    've got a repl;acement device (Sony Ericsson Z525a) coming my way from Cingular's warranty dept because really I am not certain if a hgih end PDA phone devixce is all they are cracked up to be.

I really liked the form factor of the Treos and the Palm OS and being able to combine a cell phone and PDA in one package is a great move towards efficeincy in business ( if they work).

Cingular's customer reps really dropped the ball and if I wasn't so tenacious they'd have even MORE of my money and I'd still be locked into tanother two year contract! As it is my contract is up in May which leaves me finally free to pick and choose a different carrier.

SO I guess my question to the boards are is the 700p significantly different from the 650 or the 680 as far as issues and reliability? Would there be any advantage to getting a 700p from Palm then going to Verizon and initiating service or are the 700p from palm already branded per carrier? PAlm's site lists carriers and their plans per device and the online prices weren't any different than what I saw in the Verizon stores today.

I do know for certain I do NOT want another windows mobile device - too many menus, and serious lack of one handed navigation.

I don't really need a wifi in the device as my laptop has wifi, I don't browse the web from my handhelds so the blazer isn't an issue. I do worry about signal reception, voice clarity, connectivity and resetting issues.

I have gone back to using my Palm T3 and will be looking forward to input from 700p users as to whether I should venture back into the treo arena again.

As an aside has anyone here ever heard about personal EMP (electro magnetic pulses) being an issue with small electonics? I can walk by a radio or a TV and hear or see some skewing of the signals - could it be possible that my body's EMPs(?) are contributing to the demise of these devices?

MAybe because the phone radio is in the same unit as the mini computer - the EMPs of each side of the device conflict with eachother? If your cell phone signal can interfere with your PC - you know when your phone gets close you can hear and see the interupted signals- - wouldn't it stand to reason that putting a phone and a mini computer in the same device is just forcing the two into combat?

Maybe I should just stick to two devices and buy clothes with bigger pockets?

Thanks for any input!

Cheers!
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    Im not a 700p user but from what I have seen, those that have upgraded think that the evdo itself was worth it.

I really like Palm OS but I really want wifi in my next phone (and Im not sold on the sd card wifi option...I use my sd slot for too much storage).

Uhhg.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    My two cents? don't get a 700p. It's very buggy–you can read about this all over the forums. It's also likely to get replaced relatively soon. We sorry early adopters have been waiting close to a year now for a fix from palm for several ridiculous bugs/problems like bluetooth device nightmares to embarrassingly sluggish performance. I'd wait for the next model.
    Depends on what you can get it for. For little money, get it. I wouldn't pay near what a lot of early adopters paid though.
    Mine isn't buggy at all. Depends on what you want to do with it. I think it's a very nice device that meets my needs and had very few flaws. But if it's going to be replaced soon with a device that has perfect Bluetooth and includes appropriate software for it, it might be worth waiting. If Bluetooth isn't an issue, and you're not going on Verizon with more than 300 text messages at a time, I'd get it.
    Before you buy, you should look at the thread below:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=138766

good luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    You'll be hard-pressed to find a device that can do everything the 700P can do, with the simplicity of the Palm OS. Especially if you are looking a Verizon.
    Go for it but I would get the updated 755p look... But a lot of people complain and over exaggerate the problems with this phone. I have had 3 of them (1 dropped in water, 1 defective, 1 current one) even the defective phone was not as slow and crappy as a few members here seem to complain about... The slowest program to open is versamail but if you take a stopwatch it only takes about 5 seconds to open, maybe 8-10 at the longest... opening blazer takes at max 5-7 seconds. opening the phone application takes about 2-4 seconds...

Main problems that I have had..

Bluetooth.... works like crap.
    SMS (text) lock up..Which happens every other day for me and usualy is traced back to when I am roaming and the phone is deciding to change to native network or the other way around.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Forgewizard,

If you got to use the 650 as a power user, i.e had it for longer than a year and installed several 3rd party apps to get you going; then jumping to the 700p is going to be a big pain. A BIG one.

If however, you only tested the 650 and pretty much you used it out of the box, then the experience with the 700p won't be as bad since you won't have previous experience to compare it to. And with the news today that there is indeed a 755p in the works, it is possible you will have yet another option for a Palm OS device.

Regarding your EM Pulses you are refering to and associated fears, the issue at hand is called EMI/RFI (Electro Magnetic Interference/Radio Frequency Interference). There's nothing to be worried about, any device that has the FCC label on it is supposed to be capable of accepting external radiation from other devices without dying in the process, while at the same time it should minimize the amount of energy itself radiates to the external world.

The fact that you skew signals when passing in front of TVs and or other similar devices has nothing to do with your body emitting radiation. You are just simply a big bag of water that is obscuring the antennas on said devices from picking up a good signal.

I deal with issues like that for a living, so trust me on this one, putting a phone radio and a computer next to eachother won't kill them as in zap them immediately. Things may not work properly due to normal electronic interference but when things are architected properly, both can coexist
    You would need to get your head examined if you were to go out and buy a Treo 700p right now. Tons of ongoing buggy problems with most of them, no support, and lots of talk about it being discontinued in the near future. I would surely wait...........
    According to this poll thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...highlight=poll

71% of respondents are at least moderately satisfied. Amazing if you read some of these threads where is sounds like everyone is having resets and problems. Sure there are some genuine issues with the 700P, but overall it is a nice smartphone.
    Love my 700p, wouldn't trade it for anything. That said, all the other devices you mention are also pretty good. Nothing out there is perfect. Working through the little quirks keeps the device interesting. Do not think the 700p will meet your exceptionaly high standards. This is not a put down. If more people demanded things like you, we would all have better devices.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    When it works right I would highly recommend it. When it doesn't I would change my recommendation.
  14.    #14  
    Thanks all for the input.

May2nd is when my Cingular contract is up and I have til then to peruse devices and forums.

I appreciate the info from the electronics wizards out there.

Hi Richinmj - guess high standards of voice clarity, signal reception is too much to hope for in a 400 to 700 dollar device? hmmmm so you think I am lowering my standards to go to a phone that has good reception, voice clarity and long battery life as well as my trusty Palm T3? O.K.

I shucked out 400 bucks several years ago for the T3 and have used it daily with very few troubles. Battery still cycles well and holds an excellent charge, slider works AOK, screen resolution and brightness are wonderful.

Yes all the reasons that endeared me to Palm and ancouraged my decision to venture into the world of Treos- combine a phone AND my PDA - guess those expectations were too much, eh?

I am not even a Verizon client yet and I am impressed with the way I have been treated as just a potential customer! I have to wonder how much of the reception issues and device troubles on the phone side have/were/are caused by cingular branding and networking. I am not enough of a geek to figure it out- but I do know thier customer service is atrocious!

I can't seem to locate any info on this mysterious Treo 755 some have mentioned. Nothing shows up on Palm's site.

I used the Treo 650 long enough and the 680's enough to install several pet programs and also used them enough to really yearn for that form factor, ease of use and superb screen resolution.

I also have to keep in mind that the first treo 650 I purchased and had troubles with may have been part of that batch that had known assembly issues; however because I got rooked into Cingular's warranty exchange by mail [program and kept getting issued "refurbished" units - I may never have received an actually fully functioning quality unit. Who knows?

This mystery 755 will it run on Palm OS or egads WM6? if WM6 - forget it - I am not interested unless they seriously do a make over of their week view scheduling.

I don't mind haing to initialize a device daily as long as the battery lasts, reception is good, clarity is decent and I can schedule as I am talking. But, nope, I won;t accept self resets, volume issues, keyboard problems, oor battery life and signal losses.

Now, to find that 755.....

Thanks all!
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    I'll add my 2 cents in as another current 700p user.

To me, the 700p is definitely simpler to use than the current batch of WM phones. It's user interface is more polished and mature and it's pretty intuitive to use. I have no idea why nobody has come out with a user friendly WM phone. There is no reason why a user should have to navigate through so many menus to do basic tasks. I expect that this will change when the iPhone comes out. Phone manufacturers will have big pressure to come up something to compete with the simple and intuitive way that the iPhone will work.

Having said that, my 700p is a much worse phone than the Q I compared it to (both in reception strength and call quality). Bluetooth on it sucks, it has horrible lag issues (both with and without any 3rd party apps on it), and as a longtime PocketPC user, I can't stand the dated and soon to be retired Palm OS.

Clearly different people have different preferences on what they like in a smart phone and you'll see a large amount of people both happy and unhappy with their 700ps. I am in the unhappy camp and will be abandoning it as soon as the next wave of smart phones is released for Verizon. I'd love to get an iPhone but all my family and company uses Verizon and it's not practical to switch.

Good luck in whatever you choose!
    Forgewizard. I trully meant no disrespect. It was more a commentary on the rest of us who put up with the crap. I admire the fact that you insist on getting what you deserve for the money spent.
    I'd love to get an iphone too. Except it would only do a few things i want.

No high speed (unless you're on wifi..but what's the point then? I'll use a laptop). No tethering. No slingbox. No video recorder. No voice recorder. Can't record calls. Won't play all the software i have (apps, games, etc). Is capped on memory. Battery can't be changed. Can't download songs or much else. No hard buttons. Harder to operate one handed. No editing office apps.

So...if iphone did all the above, i'd get one. It won't. Although it'd make a good present for the wife. Too bad its cingular though.

BTW..what about the palm OS (other than multi-tasking) is outdated? You click/touch an icon, the program opens up..cool huh?
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    BTW..what about the palm OS (other than multi-tasking) is outdated? You click/touch an icon, the program opens up..cool huh?
    Other than multi-tasking? That alone is reason to retire it. The second would be the lack of a decent file system.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I am a new, but so far very satisfied 700p user. I need a phone that allows me to easily RESPOND to email (plenty will let you view webmail, but actually anwswering o a phone keypad is a pain!) and was sick of carrying my Tungsten around for my calendar. I run Docs to Go, but I don't really expect it to act as a laptop replacement (although, to be frank, it's been doing pretty well on that score!)

So far the 700p has performed flawlessly as a phone, web access device and calendar/memo app. I've added a few 3rd party applications eg some games and utilities and all seems fine. I don't use bluetooth.

FWIW.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I'd love to get an iphone too. Except it would only do a few things i want.

No high speed (unless you're on wifi..but what's the point then? I'll use a laptop). No tethering. No slingbox. No video recorder. No voice recorder. Can't record calls. Won't play all the software i have (apps, games, etc). Is capped on memory. Battery can't be changed. Can't download songs or much else. No hard buttons. Harder to operate one handed. No editing office apps.

So...if iphone did all the above, i'd get one. It won't. Although it'd make a good present for the wife. Too bad its cingular though.

I put iphony on my phone. Dumb simple launcher that gives you everything thats cool about the iphone, the dumb little icons.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast