1.    #1  
    While there are many cool ones, IMHO the best of the Hacks is called "MiddleCapsHack" and is available at PalmGear's website. This hack eliminates the need to do a capitalization stroke, making Grafiti just a little faster and easier. Check it out; after using it you'll wonder how and why Palm didn't build it into the OS.

Also, check out "Phlegm Hack", yes Phlegm Hack. This hack allows you to choose applications and switch between them with a simple pen stroke. I use it to change between DateBk4 and the built-in Address book without having to reach for a button. It's written by the same guy who wrote "DiddleBug" and his awesome "Intelli-Booger Extensions" that allow you to create entries in the ToDo, DateBook and other databases without leaving DiddleBug. Okay, DiddleBug isn't a hack, but it's worth mentioning as it's great software. (Intelli-Booger? Phlegm? Maybe a small fixation here?)

Those who bought SynSolutions' Launch 'Em (the 'next' Launcher III) will like the free "Launch Em App Hack." Launch 'Em App Hack, using a simple penstroke, will show you a list of your 5 most recent and 5 most-used applications in a small pop-up window. Pick one and it switches to it. Another penstroke will show you a window listing every application installed on your Handspring. Unfortunately the second penstroke is the same as the one Phlegm Hack uses so you have to choose which of them you like. Launch 'Em App Hack only works if you have Launch 'Em installed.

And HackMaster, as cool as it was, is a little old. Time to upgrade. A better freeware alternative is called "X-Master." Teal Software has a version called TealMaster but I don't think that it's worth the money they want for it. X-Master is pretty nice and is a big improvement over the incredibly innovative HackMaster.

Finally, it's worth checking into "Padlock Hack" and one of the "Keyboard Hack" versions currently available. Padlock hack allows you to use your Handspring's buttons to enter your password and unlock you device. Sounds odd but it's great. "Keyboard Hack", in any of it's current configurations (number keys on top, number keys on the side, etc.), is also very cool but I don't use the built-in keyboard much to begin with so I never use it.

- Dave
    "If you don't chase Perfection, you'll never have a chance to catch excellence." - Vince Lombardi
    Originally posted by ThomsoD
    check out "Phlegm Hack"
    Mike McCollister has essentially taken PhlegmHack and modified it with some new features and bug fixes. The newly named McPhling takes over where PhlegmHack left off, and even adds color support for Prism owners
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    My most-used hacks are:

1)Padlock Plus (I *hate* having to get my stylus out to unlock)
    2)McPhling
    3)MiddleCaps Hack
    4)Ben's Menus (better than MenuHack, IMHO)
    5)Afterburner
    6)Crash (don't have to use this so much, but it's great to have around when you need it)

Agree with your observations RE X-Master. Works great and you can't beat the price.
    AfterBurner 3
    Font Hack 123 (change those boring sys fonts!)
    McPhling (use the "last app" stroke the most)
    EasyLaunch
    ClockPop
    AppHack (my favorite launcher!)
    MagicTextHack (lots of MagicText plugins!)
    FindHack (wildcards!)
    3AlarmHack Free
    PrivateHack
    NoLinesHack (improvements over ClearHack by another author)
    Steve
    "Gort, Klatu verada nictu."
    Major thanks to ThomsoD and MarkEagle -- both for info on new hacks I hadn't heard about, and for the pointer to McPhling. As a long-time Phlegm Hack user, I was delighted to see the improvements made to this.

I've reduced the number of hacks I use, due to stability problems on my Visor Deluxe, and am currently using (with X-Master):

Phlegm Hack (soon to be replaced by McPhling)
    ClipHack
    TrekSounds (admittedly damn silly, but fun -- I only use the OUR MAN FLINT sound for the alarmhttp://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/cwm/cwm/uhoh2.gif)
    Swipe
    AfterBurner (currently disabled -- trying to figure if it had anything to do with lockups on button presses.)

Am looking forward to using MiddleCaps, McPhling and Launch Em hack (I've registered and love Launch Em) in the near future.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Originally posted by bookrats
    AfterBurner (currently disabled -- trying to figure if it had anything to do with lockups on button presses.)
    Which version are you using? I had a bunch of troubles with v2 (hey, it was free). When I switched to v3 "no tribble" at all (keep it at the top of the activation list). Running a VDX myself.
    Steve
    Originally posted by ss@rr

Which version are you using? I had a bunch of troubles with v2 (hey, it was free). When I switched to v3 "no tribble" at all (keep it at the top of the activation list). Running a VDX myself.
    Afterburner 3.0t. But I'm not sure that it's Afterburner. Tracking down conflicts is a tedious business. (Takes me back to tracking down INIT conflicts back on the Mac in the 80's...)http://www.mpz.co.uk/cwm/cwm/cwm/silly.gif
    Jeff Meyer

Yeah. I'm running 3.0t and using AppHack (talk about button press trapping!) without problems. Check your clocking speed too. 28mhz works for me, but I didn't see much improvement (Benchmark) after that, and if memory serves, some "things" started happening. You might try knocking a couple mhz off if your tribbles go away with AB off (btw, you did reset after turning AB off?)
    Steve
    Originally posted by ss@rr
    Check your clocking speed too. 28mhz works for me, but I didn't see much improvement (Benchmark) after that, and if memory serves, some "things" started happening. You might try knocking a couple mhz off if your tribbles go away with AB off (btw, you did reset after turning AB off?)
    I've always run it at 28MHz. And yup, I always reset whenever turning AB on or off.

Just to reiterate, I haven't run it for several months, after the conflicts I had with Datebk4 freezing occasionally on button presses. When I have some more time in the next month or two (after the next Datebk4 beta release) and see if things are working better.

Thanks,
    Jeff Meyer

3AlarmHack (the free one)

Afterburner

Cliphack (expands your clipboard over the normal 4k)

ClockPop (shows time, battery, appointments, etc. when hold down a button -- then goes back to what your were doing, or turns Palm off if it was off already)

CrashHack

FindHack

FontHack

Keyb+Graffiti (lets you use graffiti (or in my case Tealscript)

LaunchMenu (use this instead of a Launcher mainly)

McPhling

NoLinesHack (does what it says)

SafeHack (hides your private records when you turn palm off)

Teallaunch (this does so much I can't even begin)

VirtualKB (the best Keyboard hack I have found -- cut, copy, paste, etc).

All on TealMaster (using Beta version 1.29 -- 1.30 about to be released)
    Some one said::

My most-used hacks are:

1)Padlock Plus (I *hate* having to get my stylus out to unlock)
    2)McPhling
    3)MiddleCaps Hack
    4)Ben's Menus (better than MenuHack, IMHO)
    5)Afterburner
    6)Crash (don't have to use this so much, but it's great to have around when you need it)

Agree with your observations RE X-Master. Works great and you can't beat the price.

I Say:

How can you use the timelock in Padlock Plus with X-Master??? Mine refused to work!!!
    ~DarkVisor64
    ----
    "Programming is the struggle between programmers building bigger and better
    ***** proof systems and the universe building bigger and better idiots."
    How can you use the timelock in Padlock Plus with X-Master??? Mine refused to work!!!
    Actually, I didn't get Padlock Plus for the timelock feature. All I cared about was the ability to unlock w/ button pushes instead of the stylus. With that said, I believe the autolock function does work. I have it set to turn off after 6 hours and that seems to happen with no problem (although I'll admit that I don't pay too much attention). Can't understand why it wouldn't be working for you.
    I thought the Padlock Plus problem was resolved?

Andreas is usually very good at fixing bugs. Btw, a beta version of the next version of X-Master is out on his webpage now.
    This might be a dumb question, but if you are using Padlock hack and X-master, wouldn't a soft-reset and selecting DO NOT RE-ENABLE hacks on start up defeat the security?
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Here are my favorite Hacks:

ClockPop -- clock hack
    ScreenWrite --- Allow you to use the whole screen to write. One of my most used hacks.
    RunWrite -- Allow you to launch any program with two graffiti strokes. FInd this very useful. My second most used hack.
    VirtualKb -- Best Keyboard replacement IMO
    TrekSounds Hack -- Just Damn cool
    LaunchemApp Hack -- comes with Launchem. My most used hack.
    This might be a dumb question, but if you are using Padlock hack and X-master, wouldn't a soft-reset and selecting DO NOT RE-ENABLE hacks on start up defeat the security?

I tested this out before registering Padlock Plus and it doesn't seem to be a problem. If you perform a soft reset from locked status you are returned to a locked screen regardless of whether or not you choose to re-enable the hack. The only difference is that you must enter your password with a stylus instead of the hard key presses if you choose DO NOT RE-ENABLE.
    Originally posted by homer

Not really, because after Padlock locks it, the built-in security app stays there...you can't use buttons to get in if you disable Hacks, but it IS locked.

BTW: That's the first thing I did was to check that weakness.
    ~DarkVisor64
    ----
    "Programming is the struggle between programmers building bigger and better
    ***** proof systems and the universe building bigger and better idiots."