1.    #1  
    Friends

I have an offer of a 650 for about $100 in VGC. I could spend $300+ on a new 680 but all I want is a reliable phone for making calls and using all the basic Palm PDA functions. 650 looks nice. Do you think it will be fine for this purpose is might it be worth the extra bucks for a 680?

Cheers

Trevor

PS: does 650 have a voice memo function?
    $100 for a 650 in good condition vs $300 on a 680?

I'll take the 650. The 680 has no external antenna (a plus), more memory (a plus).
    The 650 has better battery life (a plus), and seems to respond more quickly (a plus), and a more simple phone menu (a plus for me).

Stability-wise, it's a toss up depending on who you ask here.

The screens, volume-level are about the same.

The 650 does not have a voice memo function. I actually just use my video recorder if I need to dictate a quick note, and then type it as a note later.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    This seems like a good device with which to start. 650 is a nice device for Contacts, Calendar and Phone Calls. Web browsing will feel slow. E-mail may not be compatible with your provider. Voice quality is good without background usage of data; e.g. Chatteremail (I use Chatteremail and love it though).

$100 seems like minimal investment to get familiar with an integrated device.

If however you have a tendency to explore possibilities of your purchases, get a 680, it's more amenable to adding programs if only for the additional memory when compared to the 650.
  4.    #4  
    Dear Puyi and MrCoff

Thanks for this advice. If I can nail it at that price I will - get started and then upgrade. I sense something with fixes over the 680 will come out within the year,

fundoctor
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I chose the 650 because of the better battery life. I get about 4 days of use where as my co workers 680 is at about 20% when we leave work and thats with the battery patch.

Plus I like the separate end/message and send/calender buttons as apposed to them being connected (I know its stupid) and last I like the memory card slot on top more than on the side with a cover that doesn't seem to stay on very well.

I just got the zoti antenna and couldn't be more happy with it too.
    SoundRec for voice memos...

http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-112.html
  7.    #7  
    I love these forums! Tip on the memo thing is crucial - thankx. Odnerd - where does the "zoti antennae" fit into the scheme of things? Another question - if you are on the phone to someone can you access all your Palm data and still stay on the line? I find if I want to look up a phone number while on the (normal mobile) phone it causes all sorts of trouble.

Thanks treologians

Fundoctor
    Bristol UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Fundoctor View Post
    I love these forums! Tip on the memo thing is crucial - thankx. Odnerd - where does the "zoti antennae" fit into the scheme of things? Another question - if you are on the phone to someone can you access all your Palm data and still stay on the line? I find if I want to look up a phone number while on the (normal mobile) phone it causes all sorts of trouble.

Thanks treologians

Fundoctor
    Bristol UK
    The "Zoti" antenna is just a shorter antenna to replace the stock one on the 650. Yes, if your on the phone you can still access all your PIM data while remaining on the call. The only thing you can't do is get online...
    ... - where does the "zoti antennae" fit into the scheme of things?...

See my avatar showing my 650 with a Zoti antenna installed and http://www.treoantenna.com/shop/
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Odnerd - where does the "zoti antennae" fit into the scheme of things?
    The only reason I would have gotten the 680 instead is because I hate antennas and the zoti antenna eliminates that from the 650.... Thats all.
    Just curious, what does VGC stand for?
    Quote Originally Posted by inorv9 View Post
    Somewhere in Canada?
    Quote Originally Posted by inorv9 View Post
    VGC = very good condition
    Quote Originally Posted by enynite View Post
    VGC = very good condition
    LOL...Ohhhhh!
    I have had several 650's over the last 20 months with the most recent being replaced 2 weeks ago with a 680. I can say that I like the form factor of the 680 better, love the more memory, faster Blazer, and have yet to drop a call and I was dropping call constantly with all of my 650's. I know the dropped call statement are not empirical data, but I love my 680. I wasn't planning on getting a 680 but Cingular replaced my 650 with one because of the mutiple phones I have had. Only one 650 worked well, still dropped calls, but was rock solid without resets, until I dropped it and cracked the screen. I actually miss the antenna because it was how I got it out of my case. I am glad that Cingular gave me a 680, and if I had to buy a Treo now, I would spend the extra 200 for a 680, but again that's just MHO.
  16.    #16  
    Treologians

Thanks for the tips - I am surprised that more people are not put off by the battery issue - on holiday and stuff a daily charge could be a serious PITB (pain in the ****). I have now bought the 650 (actually cost $130 in the end) on eBay. Doubtless I'll back, so,

TTFN (ta-ta for now)

Fundoctor