Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Hi -

So I've had my 700p for 2 weeks. Love it. Can't imagine life without it.

But I can't find a case for it! I've googled, I've searched eBay, I've trawled the accessories links here and still... nothing like I have in mind. Any other places I can look for a case? I've tried "real life" stores too in the hope I could actually try "hands on" before buying, and the selection (and quality) is just TERRIBLE, and seems ltd to really cheap and nasty, Cellsuit (I'm trying it, but it's too bulky) and the Palm OEM leather case (ok, I guess, but doesn't cover much of the rear and top housing) and/or pouches and holsters. I've now tried 3 different cases and none of them work the way I'd hoped. I even tried combining a skin with a cheapie hard "shell" and that didn't work out either. I'm in Case Hell!!

I know that I need more than "scratch protection" - I'd like something that will help protect it in the event of a fall. I DON'T need a holster or belt clip (I have a pouch in my handbag where it lives when not in use), and it would be a bonus if I could cradle it without removing the case; I'd also like it if it had keyboard covering (like a skin or clear panel), since that helps keep the keys from rubbing off and also keeps it cleaner. I originally thought I wanted the screeen covered too, but having tried the Cellsuit case which covers the whole front I'm not as sure about that now (maybe, maybe not).

I guess what I'm hoping for is something similar to the unobtrusive but lightly-padded case my iRiver 120 came with - it covers all corners and important parts, but great cutouts for all functions and just enough padding to cushion it in the event of a fall.

I've seen the "hard" leather cases via the links here, but they look like they'd be kinda bulky and I also worry about it separating while in use. I thought about a flip cover (cause that would help the screen) but really, I'd rather have it open for "ready access". I currently have it in a skin which feels nice and covers the keyboard which I really like, but it offers no impact protection at all. I'd go for a slimfit neoprene case as long as it has some keyboard protection too.

TIA - I'd really appreciate some recommendations!
    Last edited by divamum; 03/28/2007 at 12:39 PM. Reason: typos
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Well, from what I can tell you is that there is no case that fits 100% your set of requirements. The hard part is covering the keys, no case that I know of covers the keys anymore. There are a few leather carriers that flip the entire fron cover to expose the face of the Treo, but that seems somewhat a hassle for me. I had a 600 with a rubber skin case that covered everything except the screen, but they since changed that for the 650/700p and now the keyboard is "naked".

I'd recommend the combination of Palm leathercase with a hardskin cover from Seidio, the rubberized one. The thin case is very good, sturdy and doesn't make your Treo look chunkier than it is already , the rubberized finish gives more grip to the phone; plus with the leather case you can securely carry the 700p around and the exposed sections are protected by the skin case. That's the exact setting I have and I've found it quite useful.

You can check Seidio store online (www.seidioonline.com)
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Ah.....! I actually tried to do that with the skin I have and the OEM Palm leather case when I tried it in the store, but it wouldn't fit - the Seidio is that much thinner? Sounds like that might be my best bet I guess.

It's kind of a shame that they didn't make it with a small downward flip for hte keypad, like cellphones of a few years back.

All this said, I'm SURE I remember reading somewhere about a superslim case which was either leather or neoprene but had enough to provide some bump protection. ::scratches head:: Can anybody think of what I might have seen/read about and can't remember?

Thanks again!

Edited to add: I was also considering getting another OEM skin cheap on ebay and cutting it down so that I could cover the keyboard even if I found a case that was open. I wonder how that would work - has anybody tried Frankensteining together stuff like that?
    Last edited by divamum; 03/28/2007 at 08:11 PM. Reason: added text
    I use the Palm branded skin and the Palm branded horizontal leather case. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    Well, from what I can tell you is that there is no case that fits 100% your set of requirements. The hard part is covering the keys, no case that I know of covers the keys anymore. There are a few leather carriers that flip the entire fron cover to expose the face of the Treo, but that seems somewhat a hassle for me. I had a 600 with a rubber skin case that covered everything except the screen, but they since changed that for the 650/700p and now the keyboard is "naked".

I'd recommend the combination of Palm leathercase with a hardskin cover from Seidio, the rubberized one. The thin case is very good, sturdy and doesn't make your Treo look chunkier than it is already , the rubberized finish gives more grip to the phone; plus with the leather case you can securely carry the 700p around and the exposed sections are protected by the skin case. That's the exact setting I have and I've found it quite useful.

You can check Seidio store online (www.seidioonline.com)
    Verizon Wireless stores have leather cases that cover the keys with a polyurethane film.

FYI, if you cannot find a product in your cellular carrier's store, there is nothing that prevents you from going to a competing carrier's store for accessories.

Other than a skin, you will be hard pressed to find exactly what you are looking for. That said, may I suggest the Body Glove leather case which is currently being sold by Best Buy?

Stalker768
    All Treos are challenging with regard to cases, primarily because there is so much crammed into a small space, leaving very few angles that won't interfere with the keyboard. I've ended up with about ten cases, none of which I really like. I've ended up using a set of Best Skins Ever to provide a shiny, tacky surface that will enable me to use the cradle, as the phone sits in the cradle much of the day. There are no other skins that allow that. In combination with any decent horizontal case, this works fine. I spend a lot of time outdoors, so I also have recently purchased the Otterbox 1920, which actually costs almost as much as I paid for the phone, but it does have plastic covers of both the keys and the screen. Of course it's hugely clunky but serves its purpose when outside in the rain.
    I recommend this Podplus case. It is similar to Vaja style but 1/4 the price. I have dropped it a few times and no problems.

http://www.pdostore.com/index.cfm?fu...Product_ID=210
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalker768 View Post
    Verizon Wireless stores have leather cases that cover the keys with a polyurethane film.

FYI, if you cannot find a product in your cellular carrier's store, there is nothing that prevents you from going to a competing carrier's store for accessories.

Other than a skin, you will be hard pressed to find exactly what you are looking for. That said, may I suggest the Body Glove leather case which is currently being sold by Best Buy?

Stalker768
    Oh, I know - and I've tried! Verizon, Sprint, independent stores, department stores, electronics closeout haunts that I've had luck with before... I don't know what the deal is in my area, but there are soooo few Treo cases "on the ground" as it were - everybody is either sold out or has stoppped selling them. This is, I think, part of my frustration - I've been eBaying and then disappointed when what arrives isn't quite what I expected (not the product's fault, just the result of not having been able to see it and handle it "in person")

Has anybody used the Krussel ones with the zipper? What are those like?

Oh, and Stalker:
    "That said, may I suggest the Body Glove leather case which is currently being sold by Best Buy?"

Do you have a link to it? The Best Buy site only has the Body Glove cellsuit (which I've tried and don't like - bulky and not that great a fit) and hte rather bulky generic Smartphone case (which, in fact, I use for my recording gear - it's great for that, but I'm not sure I like it as a phone case....). Thanks!
    Last edited by divamum; 03/29/2007 at 08:27 AM. Reason: adjust text
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by investwisely View Post
    I recommend this Podplus case. It is similar to Vaja style but 1/4 the price. I have dropped it a few times and no problems.

http://www.pdostore.com/index.cfm?fu...Product_ID=210
    Thanks for the link Investwisely. Can you cradle it in that? If not, how easy is it to remove, and does frequent removing weaken however it fastens shut?

Thanks!
    Oh, and Stalker:
    "That said, may I suggest the Body Glove leather case which is currently being sold by Best Buy?"

Do you have a link to it? The Best Buy site only has the Body Glove cellsuit (which I've tried and don't like - bulky and not that great a fit) and hte rather bulky generic Smartphone case (which, in fact, I use for my recording gear - it's great for that, but I'm not sure I like it as a phone case....). Thanks![/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, I don't have a link to the site available. I did see a Body Glove Treo case up close and personal at my local Best Buy.

Stalker768
    I don't use a cradle but email them and ask. What I really like is that I have no obstructions using the keyboard because the case is tapered over that part.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by divamum View Post
    Thanks for the link Investwisely. Can you cradle it in that? If not, how easy is it to remove, and does frequent removing weaken however it fastens shut?

Thanks!
    The Treo won't sit on it's regular cradle when you have skins/cases attached to it... except if you have a special cradle.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm a Seidio salesman (which I'm not BTW ) but Seidio has cradles called INNO.dock that can take skinned Treos without a problem. Worth taking a look at them.

Just for the record, I posted this once sometime ago, but I am both a Treo fan and a Seidio fan: I have the rubberized skin case, cradle, screen protector, 3-in-1 stylus, 2400mAh battery, and battery cover with easy-access hole. Now that's some serious fanboyism right there
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Thanks all.

I went and dug through the archive here and came across links to Vaja. Uhoh... man those things are GORGEOUS and the one with the cutout fliplid looks like it might do everything I want except work with a cradle... I guess I could sell the cradle and get one of those travel battery/sync chargers!

The search continues, at any rate. Thanks for all the input!
    The Sena Magnet Flip Cases are very well made. I like the one in black without the nib as I carry it in my pockets.
    Hello,

I know you said you don't want the belt clip, but the NUTSHELL cases are awesome. I've had one case that's outlasted my 600, 650, and 700p.

http://www.tuff-as-nuts.com/

It's hard to tell from the website, but they're made with a thick saddle-type leather and stitching, and you can get various add-ons if you want (clips, hooks, SD-holders, etc...).

http://www.tuff-as-nuts.com/Resource...ase-2-2-07.jpg

Most other cases look cheap and flimsy by comparison.

Negatives: the top of the phone is exposed, so I don't think you'll be 100% scratch free, but that really depends on the user.
    The Body Glove case is very similar to the Palm leather case with the plastic over the front. It doesn't protect the top and corners very well.

The Vaja cases are pretty, but their reputation on the forum has gone downhill after a few users had problems with the leather wearing quickly with normal use.

The Krusell case with the zipper is nice for protection, but if you ever have to remove your SIM card or battery, it's kind of a pain to remove because it fits pretty snug.

The pouch cases, like the Nutshell are nice. The only problem is it's kind of redundant if you keep your Treo in a pouch pocket of your purse. When the phone rings, you have to remove the pouch case from the pouch in your purse, then remove the Treo from the pouch itself.

I use the Palm skin that covers the keyboard in the pouch pockets of my handbags. I don't use a cradles, just the AC adapter so I don't have to worry about the skin needing to be removed to charge. The skin elimates my fear of dropping it, since it's grippy. Since I carry my Treos in my purse, I found all the cases that don't allow full function through them to be a pain. I don't like having to remove the Treo from two things just to answer the phone.
    I've been using a leather Vaja case for past couple months. So far so good. Truly fits like a leather glove! Pricey at about $100.00. Does add some extra bulk too. But I like this out of several other cases I've tried to date.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    I've been using a leather Vaja case for past couple months. So far so good. Truly fits like a leather glove! Pricey at about $100.00. Does add some extra bulk too. But I like this out of several other cases I've tried to date.
    Is the leather on the Vaja cases soft or are they really hard? I'm actually into more of the soft feel.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I use eVono from Ebcases.com. My TREO 700p stays on the cradle without having to remove it from the case. Ditto when I place it on my palm universal keyboard. It covers all parts of the treo, and still gives you access to all functionalities of the phone. It has a magnetic closure on the flip. The case is very sturdy, as my treo has fallen on the concrete numerous times without a single crack. Check it out!

http://www.ebcases.com/-strse-3343/e...700/Detail.bok
    I use the InvisiShield myself. It's extremely rugged cutouts made of some tough material. I've dropped the treo from waist high onto concrete that left just a scruff mark on my InvisiShield. The suck part is I have to take it off to get them to send me a new one, so I bought a leather SPE FormCase inbetween. The great thing about the InvisiShield is that it's thin enough were you can use products designed for a "naked" treo and yet still have it protected.

Like a poster said earlier, you aren't going to find a hard case that will protect your treo AND still be able to use the cradle simply due to the laws of physics. And hard case will add at least 1.5 or more millimeters to the thickness of your treo and making it to bulky for cradle use.

I'd find a good flip case like the SmartPhone Experts Bookcase. It's good looking and covers your keys.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast