1.    #1  
    Dear Treophilists

A few questions from someone thinking of buying a Treo:

1. In the UK the only Palm OS Treos available are 650 and 680. Is there any argument for getting the 650 above the 680? Seen a few 650 owners who prefer it to the 680.

2. If I went to Windows OS from Palm OS (there is a good deal in the UK for the 750 via Vodafone) I guess I could Hotsync from current Palm PDA (Z22) to MSOutlook and then back to the new Treo 750. But what about my 1000+ memos - would they be lost? Can these be synced? General tips on making the change.

3. The 750 is $150+ more in the UK than the 680. I can't see any reason for this in terms of features. Am I missing something?

4. When I called my ISP (02 in UK) they said they had a lot of problems with their shape of SIM card (I thought they were all the same more or less) not fitting the Treos. Is this possible or some sort of sales dodge (they don't stock Treos)?

Answers to any of these vm appreciated,

Good wishes

Fundoctor
    Bristol UK
    Battery life would be my only guess on why those owners would prefer the 650 over the 680 .. . . . . but I am not fully aware of all what the 680 offers (or doesn't offer) vs. the 650.

The PALM Web site has good instructions on migrating from a PalmOS Treo to a WM OS Treo. http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...ase=obj(41224)
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fundoctor View Post
    2. If I went to Windows OS from Palm OS (there is a good deal in the UK for the 750 via Vodafone) I guess I could Hotsync from current Palm PDA (Z22) to MSOutlook and then back to the new Treo 750. But what about my 1000+ memos - would they be lost? Can these be synced? General tips on making the change.
    If you save the notes as regular text files, meaning .txt, (they most likely already contain text and nothing else), then you should be able to open them.

3. The 750 is $150+ more in the UK than the 680. I can't see any reason for this in terms of features. Am I missing something?
    Oh yeah, you are missing something that might make it a showstopper to get a 680 or a 750.
    680 runs palm os and can not multi task
    680 can NOT do data and voice at the same time, meaning you can not access some website/remote control a server while you talk to someone
    680 only does GRPS and EDGE
    680 has a 320x320 screen
    680 camera is 640x480
    680 uses SD cards, some treocentralers says 8GB cards works
    680 needs add on for bluetooth stereo
    680 are available in graphite and Crimson colours.
    680 has more hardware buttons that leads directly to applications.
    680 allows you to press and release option for then to press an application button == one handed operation

750 runs windows mobile
    750 can multi task
    750 can do voice and data at the same time (in 3G/UMTS areas)
    750 can do GRPS and UMTS (possibly EDGE as well). UMTS is fastest
    750 has a 240x240 screen
    750 camera is 1280x1024
    750 uses miniSD, max 2GB?
    750 supports bluetooth stereo
    750 comes in dark blue colour only
    750 has less hardware buttons
    750 requires you to press option and application button at the same time.

There are probably other differences. I have a 750, my GF a Copper 680. Both are great devices, i do prefer Palm OS, i just needed 3G functionality, aka voice while i take care of a customers problem. Stereo bluetooth is nice as well.

4. When I called my ISP (02 in UK) they said they had a lot of problems with their shape of SIM card (I thought they were all the same more or less) not fitting the Treos. Is this possible or some sort of sales dodge (they don't stock Treos)?
    Thats bull****, i doubt you need a new sim, i have not gotten a new sim for ages, and mine works, in both the 680 and 750. I have tried other sims as well, and mine i other phones. So my guess is that the sales person lied to you.
  4.    #4  
    ion

thanks for your time on the above! That is very helpful. Not sure what difference the UMTS side of things would make - I think my current provider offers GPRS. One thing i have covetted is a means whereby I could surf the web on my laptop whilst away from base. Can you do that "through" the Treo?

The screen pixels seem way different. Is that not a big down side for the 750? With BT stereo does that mean you can have proper headphones running wireless - that would be cool. People seem unhappy with battery on 680 - have you been happy with the 750 battery?

Many thanks

Fundoctor
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    ion

thanks for your time on the above! That is very helpful. Not sure what difference the UMTS side of things would make - I think my current provider offers GPRS. One thing i have covetted is a means whereby I could surf the web on my laptop whilst away from base. Can you do that "through" the Treo?
    You should be able to use your treo as a bluetooth modem no matter if you get a 680 or a 750. But if you are on a GRPS network, or you have a non 3G phone, then any voicecall will interrupt the internet. With a 750 and a 3G/UMTS phone provider, then you can surf while you talk on the phone.

The screen pixels seem way different. Is that not a big down side for the 750? With BT stereo does that mean you can have proper headphones running wireless - that would be cool. People seem unhappy with battery on 680 - have you been happy with the 750 battery?
    I think the battery life on the 750 and 680 are _VERY_ similar. But the batteries are also both 1200mAh. And no, the battery life could be a little better. I charge every other day, sometimes every day. With my 650 i could go 4, maybe 5 days without a charge.
    No, you do not notice the screen, unless you look at highresolution pictures. But you do notice that windows mobile wastes precious screen space to top and bottom bar.
    Wireless stereo is cool. I have a Nokia HS-12w, but i have to charge it _EVERY_ day, and you can not change the battery. Sometimes i dont even get a full days of usage. It depends on how much i listen to the FM radio in the headset. But i'm loving it. It hangs arround your neck, and doesnt get in the way. When you need to answer a call, you put the earphones into your ear and answer. There is even a display showing the phone number of the one calling. For phone talk only i can make it last 2 days. (SE has something similar without the radio, and in-ear earphones.
    ion

Many thanks

Fundoctor
    The 680 is much more stable than the 650. You can surf the web on your laptop on any of them using a program like PdaNet. A program called SAG has been working on an app to help BT stereo on the 680, but it already works on the 650...not sure about the 750, it may already be capable without a third party app. My 680 battery has been fine since doing the Palm Camera Patch and discharging to 0% a couple times.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks people - I just seen a potentially very cheap 2nd user 650. If I mainly want basic Palm PDA stuff and a reasonably good phone (i.e. not internet) - do you think I'd be OK with 650. I really <hate> running out of battery - but if you do, I assume the memory is all safe? PS: too lazy to check - is there voice memo on the 650 (crappy or not?)

FunDoctor :-)
    You have to buy a 3rd Party Voice Memo for the 650 . . . . . it does not come with one.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Soundrec works well on the 650, and it's free.
    The 650 is still a great device, especially if you get a good deal on one. The later versions that came out were much more stable than the first batches. I still have mine and I still love it. The memory can become an issue if you load a lot of third party apps on it, but the battery life is fantastic. The poor battery is on the 680. SAG for bluetooth stereo works and SoundRec is a free VoiceMemo app that works on the 650. I only got the 680 because of the Amazon deal at Christmas...