Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm sure that everyone saw the article on the front page but I wanted to give a short review of the Slingplayer for Palm OS since I was one of the original beta testers. We were under a confidentiality agreement which is why I never posted and we were lifted from this agreement this morning.

A few thoughts on my experience. I play cards often (Texas Holdem) and when you play in a game you are easily distracted by the table and it takes away from your game so many players listen to music and I did that until I got the first release of the Slingplayer. Lets just say I wont be listening to much music in the future.

Non - Full Screen mode

When I first fired it up and saw this I was abit dissapointed but I can assure you that its not that big of a deal. The video is definitely large enough to be able to see whatever you are watching. 2 weeks ago I sat at Phillips arena at a hockey game watching the NCAA tournament on my T700P and was able to see the small score on the top of the screen. So I'm guessing there wouldnt be anything you can't see.
    Video and Sound Quality - Fantastic

The video is smooth and seldomly distorts. The only time its noticeable is during channel changes (which is sometimes seen on the Windows version) or watching fast action sports (hockey, basketball).

Navigation/Changing channels

You would be absolutely amazed at the end result vs Version 1, the favorites bar is useful and very easy to use. There needs to be more keyboard shortcuts but thats something the beta group suggested and hopefully they will look at that.

Battery Life

Heres where I need to be a little negative. If you plan to sit and you use your Treo to sling for a long period of time bring a backup battery or extenal charger. As seen in other apps using video (Kinoma) it chews through batteries. While this has gotten better with each release candidate its still very tough on batteries and on a full battery I was able to watch for 2 hours last night and then had to switch to a spare.

Conclusion

There are many apps that Ive considered for the "Cant live without app for the Treo" and the Slingplayer is certainly #1 for me. Take the rest of my apps and as long as I can keep the slingplayer I'm ok.
    Last edited by LateNight; 03/28/2007 at 07:08 AM.
    love it. will prevent me from getting the next treo unless it has Sling Player. this is my #1 app.
    only issue is the battery. I have the extended battery and a half hour of sling droped the battery from 85 to 55 percent. that's awfull . not sure what to do about that . watch 1 movie or hour long show and your battery will be more than half empty.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Ok,
    I am going to ask this here, cause i have not seen a response on a sling forum.
    I have a treo 700p and am interested if this is possible......

I have the following setup for my home theater.

1 HD directtvTivo, 2 SD directtvtivos, vcr, DVD player, all running to a receiver. The receiver then runs to an HD TV. The reciever is used to switch av sources on the TV.
    IN addition, I have the 2 sd tivos running to a tv in the bedroom.

This allows for me to watch 2 separate programs on the 2 tvs.
    I would like to add sling into the mix, so I could watch via my 700p while on the road.
    I need it to support this situation:

1 sd tivo to the bedroom.
    1 sd or hd tivo to the living room through the reciever
    the remaining sd or hd tivo to the sling out to my treo.

Is this doable?
    inquiring minds want to know
    A public beta for Slingplayer Palm was announced this morning around 6am. Go to the normal Slingplayer download page to download the player (30 day expiration). My son was watching ESPN on my 700p on the way to school today!

-Stew
    I am thinking about getting the 755p (Sprint) when it comes out. However, I am unclear how EVDO will handle incoming phone calls. One thing I hate about the 650 (and Vision) is that it bounces call directly to VM when I am doing anything involving the internet connection. If I get the 755p and EVDO and am watching Slingbox, will a phone call interrupt watching TV and come thru or will it get bounced to VM?
    I downloaded the beta first thing this morning and I'm loving it! I'm wondering what keyboard shortcuts folks have stumbled across for controlling a TiVo, as the documentation seems to be lacking in detail. I know that "M" functions as the TiVo button, and "P" is for play. Anyone stumbled across any others?
    Quote Originally Posted by ALooneyGuy View Post
    I downloaded the beta first thing this morning and I'm loving it! I'm wondering what keyboard shortcuts folks have stumbled across for controlling a TiVo, as the documentation seems to be lacking in detail. I know that "M" functions as the TiVo button, and "P" is for play. Anyone stumbled across any others?

If you go into the help for the slingplayer, (about->help)... at the bottom is a list of hard keys
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman View Post
    If you go into the help for the slingplayer, (about->help)... at the bottom is a list of hard keys
    Thanks! I guess what was "lacking" was my ability to read down to the bottom of the page
    Installed with no problems. When I connect to my slingbox it starts on the default channel 123 and plays for about 30 seconds. It then posts the message "Unable to connect to the internet. Please check connection settings and try again." I try to switch to another channel but it just stops on the "Starting..." message. Do I have the bandwidth set too high? Where do I change it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron C View Post
    Ok,
    I am going to ask this here, cause i have not seen a response on a sling forum.
    I have a treo 700p and am interested if this is possible......

I have the following setup for my home theater.

1 HD directtvTivo, 2 SD directtvtivos, vcr, DVD player, all running to a receiver. The receiver then runs to an HD TV. The reciever is used to switch av sources on the TV.
    IN addition, I have the 2 sd tivos running to a tv in the bedroom.

This allows for me to watch 2 separate programs on the 2 tvs.
    I would like to add sling into the mix, so I could watch via my 700p while on the road.
    I need it to support this situation:

1 sd tivo to the bedroom.
    1 sd or hd tivo to the living room through the reciever
    the remaining sd or hd tivo to the sling out to my treo.

Is this doable?
    inquiring minds want to know
    If I understand you correctly you have an extra sd directtv tivo in the house? If that is correct you could buy the Slingbox AV or Pro (just make sure it supports your sd directtv tivo box) connect it to this extra sd directtv tivo and your internet connection and it should work no problem. It doesn't even need to be installed near any TVs. Basically as I understand it the Slingbox AV or Pro has an IR dohickey that you install pointing to your sd directv tivo box and can change the channels on that box.

Not sure of what the Pro will do for you beyond the AV in your situation. One important note, is if you install a Pro or AV on your main Hometheater setup there can be conflicts between people watching at home and your Slingplayer on the road. So if someone is at home watching HGTV utilizing the DirectTv Tivo Tuner and you start your slingplayer from the airport and use slingplayer to tune that same DirectTV Tivo Tuner to ESPN, then the person at home will no longer be watching HGTV, they'll be watching ESPN. You need a seperate tuner for the Slingbox to have no conflict.

-Stew
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sysmg View Post
    If I understand you correctly you have an extra sd directtv tivo in the house? If that is correct you could buy the Slingbox AV or Pro (just make sure it supports your sd directtv tivo box) connect it to this extra sd directtv tivo and your internet connection and it should work no problem. It doesn't even need to be installed near any TVs. Basically as I understand it the Slingbox AV or Pro has an IR dohickey that you install pointing to your sd directv tivo box and can change the channels on that box.

Not sure of what the Pro will do for you beyond the AV in your situation. One important note, is if you install a Pro or AV on your main Hometheater setup there can be conflicts between people watching at home and your Slingplayer on the road. So if someone is at home watching HGTV utilizing the DirectTv Tivo Tuner and you start your slingplayer from the airport and use slingplayer to tune that same DirectTV Tivo Tuner to ESPN, then the person at home will no longer be watching HGTV, they'll be watching ESPN. You need a seperate tuner for the Slingbox to have no conflict.

-Stew
    Stew, you are close.
    I have all 3 tivos hoked up and running (the wifes sd the kids sd and MY hd). This was all 3 can be seen in the living loom, and the 2 sd ones can be seen in the bedroom. My question looks like its more or a question of being able to
    have the TV in the bedroom running 1 tivo, the reciever (put to the tv) running another tivo and sling running the 3rd, where I can tune to the "unused" tivo with sling regardless of which one it is without affecting the receiver. (this is where I thnk my issue will be!!)
    anyone know if there is a way to get Slingbox to control a Coolsat or other type of sat receiver?
    Anyone else having this problem? I tried a different location (next to a tower) and it still will only play for about 30 seconds before disconnecting. I turned on the Stats and it shows 15fps and 200k download just before it cuts off.
    this is awesome. Thanks to Sling Media for making it happen. I am looking forward to the official version-- Now I can watch the Yankees win the series in the palm (treo) of my hand...
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berliner View Post
    this is awesome. Thanks to Sling Media for making it happen. I am looking forward to the official version-- Now I can watch the Yankees win the series in the palm (treo) of my hand...
    SlingPlayer for Treo is awesome...but I can guarantee you won't be watching anything close to that on your treo anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew23 View Post
    I am thinking about getting the 755p (Sprint) when it comes out. However, I am unclear how EVDO will handle incoming phone calls. One thing I hate about the 650 (and Vision) is that it bounces call directly to VM when I am doing anything involving the internet connection. If I get the 755p and EVDO and am watching Slingbox, will a phone call interrupt watching TV and come thru or will it get bounced to VM?
    A phone call will interrupt your data connection. That's how it currently works on the 700p.
    Quote Originally Posted by berliner View Post
    You've got something else in the palm of your hand if you think that's gonna happen
    thanks for the answer.

One more thing, does anyone know if slingbox will work alright with the 650 (sprint)? I know calls will go to VM) but ....
    not right now
    I have a standard cable/digital cable at home. What exactly do I need to order from their website for it to work on my Treo 700p? I found their web site confusing. Thanks for helping!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast