Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berliner View Post
    this is awesome. Thanks to Sling Media for making it happen. I am looking forward to the official version-- Now I can watch the Yankees win the series in the palm (treo) of my hand...
    Yankees suck! Bostonian here! haha
    Quote Originally Posted by e2chris View Post
    Yankees suck! Bostonian here! haha
    Hmm. Yankees = 26. Boston = 6. Sounds like Boston has a lot of catching up to do.

Uh oh, NY vs. Boston thread war?
    Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I did and TechMicro shipped very quickly from a very nearby warehouse. I had it next day!

Works very well. I am amazed at the HD resolution transmitted to my laptop over a wireless connection and very smooth video on the palm! The remote needs work on the palm client. Is there a way to edit the buttons on the on screen remote for the palm client? None of the navigation keys are on the default buttons...
    Just curious...but does it transmit the HD in HD? Obviously on the palm it won't be..the resolution isn't there. But since its more data, i was wondering if the palm handled it ok.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    good question about HD. Does that run letterboxed? Require more bandwidth? I think the software probably compresses it.

oh and we obviously have some Arod lovers here... lol our pitching will own you! Hiiiiii Yaaaa. Dice-K! haha
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    HD is not transmitted in HD. I called Sling to verify. IMO, there's multiple issues with trying to do that and still provide the superior user experience Sling provides.
    The Sling player is fantastic! I was able to watch the NFL Draft (Go steelers!) while driving!!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd View Post
    The Sling player is fantastic! I was able to watch the NFL Draft (Go steelers!) while driving!!
    Tell me you're not serious.. watching teevee while YOU'RE driving?..

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    well, mostly I was listening!
    Like all of you, I've installed/used/troubleshooted more tech gadgets than I can name or remember.

The Slingbox and Sling player for the Palm is by far the BEST/ EASIEST TECH DEVICE I HAVE EVER USED OR INSTALLED. (I know all caps but I really mean it). I have used/set up so many devices I feel qualified to say this on my experiences. I literally set up the Slingbox to my complex Tivo Directv home theatre system and had it installed on my mac and palm in literally minutes (not more than 5-10 total for all devices). I'm very impressed.

Palm and other tech companies could learn a lot from Slingbox.

Thank you you created a great product that was easy to set up, works as promised!
    Palm Professional -> Palm III-> Sprint Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Sprint Handspring Treo 300 -> Sprint Handspring Treo 600 -> Sprint Treo 650 -> Sprint Treo 700p
    The part I'm trying to figure out is my wireless router is in one room, the DirecTV receiver in another (different floors).
    How do I get the two devices to connect to send the DTV signal out with the SB?
    Patchs

I struggled with the same issue how do I connect with the wireless router, etc. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks. I should just move my wireless router.

At my house the Slingbox is the only thing that needs an actual hard wired (plug in) ethernet connection. So I moved my Wireless Router from an upstairs office/room to the top of my entertainment center (downstairs/living room) along with DSL modem too. I have a phone jack behind my Entertainment Center (as I needed it for my Tivo phone connection) so I just plugged the DSL modem and wireless Router in there and connected to the SlingBox.

All my computers in the house have wireless cards in them. Even if you have a desktop PC that doesn't have a wireless card. It is so much cheaper to buy a Wireless USB adapter for a Desktop or a wireless card for a laptop than the Sling version of the Powerline wireless thing.

I hope this works for you.
    Palm Professional -> Palm III-> Sprint Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Sprint Handspring Treo 300 -> Sprint Handspring Treo 600 -> Sprint Treo 650 -> Sprint Treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    The part I'm trying to figure out is my wireless router is in one room, the DirecTV receiver in another (different floors).

You can use a Wireless access point or bridge to change the Ethernet on the Slingbox to wireless. I would only bother with this if you have 802.11g (b is too slow).

I used the Linksys WAP54G. It required some messing around with config to get it working but I've had it working with a slingbox for over a year with different brands of routers. It wasn't really made to work in bridged mode, so that's why it was a little hard to set up.

If you want the easier wireless setup. Then get one of the wireless bridge devices for hooking an Xbox or PS2 to an 802.11g network. Like the Linksys WET54G.
    I've got a little time to ponder this since Sprint EVDO isn't in my area yet (it's 20 miles away).
    Since I already use a Linksys router, the Linksys WET54G may be the best option.
    I can't move the modem, so that option won't work.
    Two easy ways: wired powerlinks, which transfer the ethernet over your house wiring (assuming you have good, fairly new house wiring)....relatively expensive, but works very well. Much cheaper, if you are within 50 feet or so, is to just get a Playlink (do a search on Ebay) for $20 or so. I bought one, it works, is very easy, and no config. There are some issues, like the need for port forwarding from most routers, and from some modems as well. I had to port forward to get the signal through both my router and DSL modem. Once it's set up, though, it works pretty well. You do need a good DSL and EVDO signal, though.
    I agree with the above comments about Slings tech support. They are phenomenal. I was on the line for 45 minutes with a gentlemen that walked me through the entire project....even waiting for the downloads to happen. They are incredible!
    Yes. I want to second that. The support for Sling is the best I have ever experienced from any tech company anywhere. Very patient, they know exactly what they're doing....it was truly amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    One other option is a wireless bridge/print server. I found a 802.11g Netgear refurb at Fry's for about half the price of the WET54G and it's been working perfectly on my Linksys network. The only problem was that the Netgear setup wasn't anywhere near as easy as Linksys and because I was in too much of a hurry, I didn't notice I had 64bit WEP on the bridge but 128bit on the WRT54G. I claim temporary idiocy.

If you are slinging around your house, you definitely want .11g as the full screen quality will be much better. I get >5Mbps on .11g vs ~1.7 with .11b. On the other hand, if you are slinging from the road, the bottleneck will be your ISP upload speed (typically capped around 384K) which makes the local network speed less important.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Works great, but what about Verizon's 5gig limit? Has anyone had any problems with that?

Cheers
    Wino
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123