Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I believe the supposed treo 750P is suppsosed to have a different version of the palm OS , colbalt or something like that so don't count on the slingplayer being able to work on it until slingbox were to uograde there software. why I will wait until it works on a 755P (or whatever the name) until sling makes it avaliable for that device.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    I believe the supposed treo 750P is suppsosed to have a different version of the palm OS , colbalt or something like that so don't count on the slingplayer being able to work on it until slingbox were to uograde there software. why I will wait until it works on a 755P (or whatever the name) until sling makes it avaliable for that device.
    Yeah... ok... Well.. then you don't really care about watching TV on your Palm then, because it could be 2009 before that all works out. One of the most ridiculous comments I've seen in a long time. Wait on the software until there is a version for a device and OS that isn't even announced yet. Funny.

You've been a member for a few years. You know how it really works with Palm. Why suffer and give yourself heartburn waiting for something that may never happen.
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd View Post
    I have a standard cable/digital cable at home. What exactly do I need to order from their website for it to work on my Treo 700p? I found their web site confusing. Thanks for helping!
    You need an internet connection (and since you'll likely want to be able to use the internet and have the Slingbox on the internet as well, you'll need a router) with a decent upload rate (preferably 300 kbps or better).

If you don't need to tune channels with a cable box, you can get the Tuner model. If you must use your cable box to change channels, then you'll need an AV or a Pro model (or even the older Classic model).

Hope that helps!
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew23 View Post
    thanks for the answer.

One more thing, does anyone know if slingbox will work alright with the 650 (sprint)? I know calls will go to VM) but ....
    Contrary to cardfan, there are several reports of it working on a CDMA 650. I can't say from direct experience since I've got a 700p, but if you have a 650 on Sprint, give it a shot - you've got a 30-day trial window to see. The reported problems have been on the GSM 650's.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I don't think its worth using on a 650.

I use to miss calls when streaming. I never looked it up... but is that a limitation of Rx?

Also I haven't seen it with my eyes but I would think the bandwidth isn't enough.

This isn't a diss on 650 ppl. if I were you hold tight till the next hardware release.
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by e2chris View Post
    I use to miss calls when streaming. I never looked it up... but is that a limitation of Rx?
    Yes, that's a limitation of 1xRTT. No doubt there are weaknesses that many people might not appreciate with a 650, but why not give it a trial?
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman View Post
    Yeah... ok... Well.. then you don't really care about watching TV on your Palm then, because it could be 2009 before that all works out. One of the most ridiculous comments I've seen in a long time. Wait on the software until there is a version for a device and OS that isn't even announced yet. Funny.

You've been a member for a few years. You know how it really works with Palm. Why suffer and give yourself heartburn waiting for something that may never happen.

Mogulman, LOL , I think I wrote that all incorrect , (I feel like dofus) (When I read it back I was like , what the heck and I trying to say.) what I get for trying to Type on that small keyboard on the NJ transit bouncing around the car (I had to stand). I meant t say I aint holding my breath for the treo750 whatever and enjoyin my Slingplayer on my treo 700P now. and even if there is a treo 755P whose to say that the Sling will work on it . I was trying to convey to the person who said that they were hoping to use slingplayer on there 755P that they shouldnt wait .
    I just installed SlingPlayer beta on my 700p on VZW, using SlingBox Classic and Comcast cable. The install went very smoothly and I was up and running in a few minutes. Learning how to use it took a few minutes more (I even went to the manual) and I'm amazed. I had used MobiTV for a little while, but found the selection pretty weak and not worth $5 a month. I now have my full cable on my Treo. Cool. It works well with Goodlink running in the background and seems to be showing about 15fps. It's not High Def, but it is very watchable. This is one of the best apps I've seen since I bought my first Palm Pilot back in the day.

As someone else noted, the only drawbacks are battery life and the Treo does get hot after a while. I have a second battery and will get a third if necessary. The ability to watch TV while I wait in airports or just kill time is well worth it. With SlingPlayer on my notebook and now on my Treo, I can be a couch potato anywhere.

One last thought, I would love to see other companies (Palm, for instance) put out final release versions of their software that were half as polished as the SlingPlayer beta. I've learned to be pretty tolerant of the not ready for prime time software we've had to accept (Palm for instance), but you have to wonder why companies like Sling can get it right the first time, while others always seem to want us to accept that problems, instability and bugs are the nature of high tech products or even our fault because we actually use their device as advertised (Palm, for instance). Sling respects their customers, keeps them informed and puts out a great product. So, I guess it can be done.
    this may cause to get the extra extended larger battery. I don't like the extra size but the extra 2 hours may be needed now.
    Originally Posted by rcyphermd
    I have a standard cable/digital cable at home. What exactly do I need to order from their website for it to work on my Treo 700p? I found their web site confusing. Thanks for helping!
    Quote Originally Posted by tc600 View Post
    You need an internet connection (and since you'll likely want to be able to use the internet and have the Slingbox on the internet as well, you'll need a router) with a decent upload rate (preferably 300 kbps or better).

If you don't need to tune channels with a cable box, you can get the Tuner model. If you must use your cable box to change channels, then you'll need an AV or a Pro model (or even the older Classic model).

Hope that helps!
    Just a few additions. First you have to decide if you can live with non-digital channels only. Ie. ones you can see on a TV without a digital cable box.

If you can live without the digital channels. Then you can get the Slingbox Tuner. It merely needs to be next to a cable connection and an internet router. So if you have cable internet with a cable modem near your PC. You can install the Slingbox (and router if you don't have one) there. Simply split the cable connection to your cable modem. Hook the new connection to the slingbox and plug an ethernet cable between the slingbox and your router.

If you need the digital channels (only accessible through the digital cable box) then the slingbox needs to be near the cable box. If you don't have an internet router nearby, you can buy 'Slinglink' to connect your router and slingbox through your electrical outlets. The caveat is that when used with a digital cable box the slingbox will change channels on the cable box. This can cause confusion if someone is watching TV (say HGTV) at home using that digital cable box, while someone on the road using slingplayer is changing channels (say ESPN) that changes what the person at home is watching. If you want to avoid this conflict you need an additional digital cable box for the slingbox.

-Stew
    Aaron C, I don't have a player yet but looking at the PRO version of sling it seems you can do what you want since it can connect up to four devices. However, how are you planning to know which receiver is not being used? You will have the same issue you have now with your reciver, it can switch to any source but you must know which one to use.
    I have the Slingbox Pro connected to my Cablevison (LI,NY) HD box using the S-VHS cable. The HD box has a second set of outputs. I used the "advanced" network settings to allow my Slingbox to use a direct connection over the internet (Just set up port forwarding to the Slingbox IP and open port 5001 on my Linksys router), instead of the extra hop of the "Slingbox Finder ID". I am amazed at the quality of the stream and the beta software itself. Makes my commute a little more bearable...Thanks Sling!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tc600 View Post

Hope that helps!
    In reading over the discriptions of the various Sling models, it appears the Tuner model has only an analog tuner in it. Does Sling make a digital tuner model or must it be paired with its own cable box for $7 a month? (TWC cost for box)
    You have to pair with another box. Go to slingmedia's site.

After reading all this, I just ordered my Slingbox Pro and HD adapter. Sling delivered, it was my turn...
    I note that MilwakeePC has the Slingplayer Pro and HD cable for $260 which seemed pretty good price from a web search. Never heard of them though. Anyone in the WI area know them and are they ok to mail/internet order from? Better location for the Sling Pro?
    I actually bought the Slingbox Pro from buy.com for $199 no tax free shipping...not sure if its still that price...
    Quote Originally Posted by berliner View Post
    this is awesome. Thanks to Sling Media for making it happen. I am looking forward to the official version-- Now I can watch the Yankees win the series in the palm (treo) of my hand...
    Doubt you'll be able to use your Slingplayer equipped Treo for that. Yankees won't go any further than the Angels let them. A-Rod and the rest of the Yankee's will watching the World Series while sitting on their couches (unless they have Slingplayer installed on their Treo's too!).
    check techmicro.com. I payed around 245 with the HD adapter and delivery charges included
    Very very cool, I must say. I have one little issue though. I have the classic slingbox hooked up to my Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR. Whenever I input anything, I get a blank screen saying "Copy protection, DVI/HDMI output blocked". This is rectified by clicking exit but I have to press exit every time I change a channel, FFW or do anything really any ideas??

PS My TV is connected to the 8300 via HDMI and to the slingbox via coax or rca cables, I cant remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by cvela90 View Post
    check techmicro.com. I payed around 245 with the HD adapter and delivery charges included
    Thanks for the tip. I did and TechMicro shipped very quickly from a very nearby warehouse. I had it next day!

Works very well. I am amazed at the HD resolution transmitted to my laptop over a wireless connection and very smooth video on the palm! The remote needs work on the palm client. Is there a way to edit the buttons on the on screen remote for the palm client? None of the navigation keys are on the default buttons...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast