1.    #1  
    This is a friendly, no complaints, request for some type of response on the two issues most people seem to be having, one recent and one old. I understand Goodguy (or the team the posts as Goodguy as the case may be) can't speak officially for Good but being inside the company my hopes are that he/she has some insight as to fixes, corrections, etc.

1) Contacts - This is an old one. There are sufficient workaround available for the Palm OS folks but nothing yet for the WM folks. While I can definitely understand if this is a corporate thing and that's the way it's going to be I'd like to know one way or the other. Is a "feature" going to be made available that allows the end user to determine if the Contacts that shows up on the Today screen are the native contacts or Good contacts. It seems there are folks that like it both ways. After doing some research it also seems it's only a link to an application so hopefully a workaround should be relatively easy (if I knew where to add the link I'd do it myself).

2) Buttons on PalmOS devices. The most recent versions of GMM seem to reprogram the 4 buttons every time the phone is reset. When I had a 650 I was OK with the e-mail and calendar buttons going to Goodlink but I always reprogrammed the Alt versions of the buttons to take me to Blazer (Alt-Phone) and Versamail (Alt-e-mail). I'd simply like to know if this is a new feature within Good that's going to stay or an "oops" that will be fixed with a subsequent release.

Again, no ill will is meant in this message but rather a request for updates/info on the two issues that are affecting me and my users the most right now.

Thanks!
    No ill will is taken, trodecke and those are valid questions.

1) Yes, it is on the road map to make available the option to use GMM contacts or native contacts. It is my understanding it is targetted for release in Q3/Q4, but nothing set as of yet. GMM 5.0 is going into beta soon, so hopefully I will get a better feel at that point if it is going to make it into that release.

2) Based upon the uproar here regarding the button issue, I will check with the PM group here and see what the deal is with the buttons.
    I got with PM regarding the button issue and it is a bug with 4.9.3 and will be fixed in 5.0.
    Good feedback - any way to get on the beta list for 5.0?
    To get added for the 5.0 Beta, you need to contact your account rep. They have a form that will ask some questions before they allow you into the program. I hear in the next couple of weeks, it will be out. (the beta that is)
  6.    #6  
    Thanks GoodGuy. I really thought the button issue was an oops and I'm glad to hear there are plans to allow the use of native contacts for WM. I'm a patient person and will wait for the 5.0 release though I will speak to our rep about a beta for 5.0. Considering the problems we've had with GMD I don't think she'll have any problems recommending us for the beta.

Speaking of betas, is there anything planned for GMD? Thanks.
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
    Trodecke,

Ask your rep for the upcoming roadmap for GMM and GMD. I think you will be pleasantly suprised.

We are also using GMM+GMD Combo, though limited to certain devices.
    Regarding GMD, you will see some of the features in GMD being built into GMM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
    I got with PM regarding the button issue and it is a bug with 4.9.3 and will be fixed in 5.0.
    My understanding was that 4.9.3.xx was going to be the last client release for Palm OS?
    Can you confirm that is the case or have these roadmaps changed?

If so are you able to say what else is being addressed in the version 5.0 release for Palm OS?
    Fasteye, this is incorrect. We are not discontinuing development for the Palm OS nor has that been on any roadmap that I have seen.

As for what will be in 5.0, I am hesitant to say until beta is done as things can obviously change.
    Fasteye, this is incorrect. We are not discontinuing development for the Palm OS nor has that been on any roadmap that I have seen.

As for what will be in 5.0, I am hesitant to say until beta is done as things can obviously change.
    Come on, give us a hint...We won't hold you to it.
    BC
    Quote Originally Posted by sooks View Post
    Come on, give us a hint...We won't hold you to it.
    Unless, of course, it's a really cool feature.
    BC

What we have been told several times is that there will be continued support and bug fixes in a 4.9.3.x guise but that because of the memory limitations on Palm OS devices like the Treo 650, Good were not going to pursue introducing the new features in a version 5.0 client for these devices.

If I'm wrong then I stand corrected but we've been told 4.9.3 was the last client for Palm OS by our Good reps who we speak with very frequently.
    No. We are not discontinuing support for the Palm OS. 4.9.3 was the last client for the 650, not the entire Palm OS.
    Thanks for the clarification. Are you able to answer either of these questions?

1) Will there be a button fix for the Treo 650?

2) Is the intention to provide full feature parity with WM and Symbian in version GMM 5.0 for Palm OS based devices such as the 680/700p?

I understand the second one may be difficult to answer but it would help me assess whether there is still life in the Palm OS platform or whether devices based on a different OS would be the way forward to replace the Treo 650.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by fasteye View Post
    2) Is the intention to provide full feature parity with WM and Symbian in version GMM 5.0 for Palm OS based devices such as the 680/700p?
    What WM features are you looking at that aren't in the POS version? The interface is slightly different but I've not seen any features available on my 700wx that weren't there on the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by trodecke View Post
    What WM features are you looking at that aren't in the POS version? The interface is slightly different but I've not seen any features available on my 700wx that weren't there on the 650.
    That was my question as well. Outside of OS differences, there isn't much that I can think of that varies with GMM on POS and WM.

When you say button fix, are you referring to the mapping issue? My guess is that yes, that will be fixed, but let me see if I can get some clarification on it.
    I'm running a 650 on GMM v4.9.3.21 and don't have any issues remapping buttons in the preferences application. Hopefully it isn't a 700p issue, as I'm updating today or tomorrow.
    Palm Professional -> Palm III-> Sprint Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Sprint Handspring Treo 300 -> Sprint Handspring Treo 600 -> Sprint Treo 650 -> Sprint Treo 700p