Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    I haven't seen any informative posts from Good here for about three weeks now. I wonder if they have abandoned trying to get GMM to work on the Windows Mobile platform. Our company has piloted a few devices on Exchange Direct Push. It has its pros and cons as far as functionality. But at least it does well the tasks that it advertises and it does not cripple your device for other functionality like GMM does. We hope to move about 80+ internal users off of GMM in the next few months and start to steer our over 400 external customers away from it also. By end of 2007 we hope to have no more Good footprint in our shop. This should save us thousands of dollars in support costs alone.
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
  2. #2  
    Conekkted...I have been here and posting. However, I have simply let your rants and bashing go as there is nothing I am going to be able to say that will make you happy. I have already told you that it is obvious that GMM is not a solution for you and your organization and it appears that you are making the move away from it. I hope that EAS does works for your organization. The fact that you have made it your apparent mission to slam the product every chance you get has not changed that fact.

    Good luck with your EAS implementation.
  3.    #3  
    I can understand your frustration having to be the sole voice that is man enough to come online and support GMM when there are dozens and dozens of users posting problems every week. And yes, it does seem that I am the most outspoken one here. But I challenge you or anyone else to find any posts where I have been slanderously wrong or non-factual with any of my reviews or advice. People need to know the truth. And the truth is that there are still many basic bugs in the software that Good refuses or is incapable of fixing and also refuses to give us any solid ETA on. Just look at todays new thread titled "Latest Issues" for an example of the almost daily questions that go unanswered about the most basic functionality. The newest GMM release has hijacked our devices like never before and Good has not given any formal explanation on why and if it will be fixed. If you guys were a brick and mortar retail store you would have daily mini-riots in your lobby. And I think it is pathetic that after your sales people duped us into investing tens of thousands of dollars in licenses, software and infrastructure with all of your future promises that you can just say, "if you don't like it switch to something else". Bravo.
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
  4. #4  
    I never said slanderous or non-factual. However, one of your initial posts brought up many "issues" from 3 and 4 releases ago. To me, that is neither constructive nor helpful. I am trying to figure out where you have been before January of this year since it appears, based on your posts, that you have been using GMM for years.

    As for my interaction here, I do this on my time. It is the end of the quarter, I have a family and other issues that are neither your concern nor your business. If you wish to take a week or so of inactivity on my part as a "lack of support" so be it. However, I have been MORE than gracious in dealing with you and your condescending and insulting tone. While this is not an "official" support forum, I do still represent the company and cannot respond in kind. Therefore, I ignore your baiting and use my efforts where I feel they will be better spent. Therefore, please continue with your crusade as you apparently feel you must. However, when I don't respond, do not take that as inactivity. Take it as refusing to stoop to that level.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by conekkted View Post
    I can understand your frustration having to be the sole voice that is man enough to come online and support GMM when there are dozens and dozens of users posting problems every week. And yes, it does seem that I am the most outspoken one here. But I challenge you or anyone else to find any posts where I have been slanderously wrong or non-factual with any of my reviews or advice. People need to know the truth. And the truth is that there are still many basic bugs in the software that Good refuses or is incapable of fixing and also refuses to give us any solid ETA on. Just look at todays new thread titled "Latest Issues" for an example of the almost daily questions that go unanswered about the most basic functionality. The newest GMM release has hijacked our devices like never before and Good has not given any formal explanation on why and if it will be fixed. If you guys were a brick and mortar retail store you would have daily mini-riots in your lobby. And I think it is pathetic that after your sales people duped us into investing tens of thousands of dollars in licenses, software and infrastructure with all of your future promises that you can just say, "if you don't like it switch to something else". Bravo.
    Dude, the reality is today that the wireless telecom market is changing faster than ever, and organizations are having to respond more rapidly than ever before with IT being expected to support new devices, multiple platforms, and reliable connectivity. Hosted mail services now routinely offer a la carte wireless connectivity options to customers as they need. Where one solution becomes more competitive and/or another solution unavailable or less reliable, you make a choice, plan your budget and redirect. I have configured and supported BES servers, Good servers, and now some EAS users too, although most of our users are on Good and very happy with it. Although you work for a company that apparently has used and resold Good (not sure if theyre aware of your rants on here) and is now redirecting to another platform, not everyone has the same experience as you. I can see from your lists of complaints you frequently post that you freely mix bugs or issues from a variety of GMM versions, many of which have been addressed in the current release, and some of your complaints are just plain wrong (eg shortcut keys). If you believe that EAS is the best thing out there, then go with that and talk positively about it, but quit dumping Good on every forum on here. I switched from BES because we had issues and I found GMM was just better, but I dont spend hours trawling around forums trashing RIM because I wasnt hot on their product.
    RIM 957 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Treo 750 / GMM
  6. #6  
    Hey CUN.ekkT.ed, maybe the issue is withthe inability of YOUR IT DEPARTMENT to implement software??

    Or do they also treat you as badly as you treat Goodguy who on his own time has genuinely tried to help you - and for free?

    Are you this nice to your customers too?

    Sounds like a cultural problem to me and I'm afraid not even Good can help you here.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by madeintheuk View Post
    Dude, the reality is today that the wireless telecom market is changing faster than ever...
    Your comments are fair and well thought out. I disagree with you on several fronts, however. It could be something as simple as your Good rep being very competent, telling you the realistic truth about their abilities and inabilities, and giving you helpful advice and solutions vs. our Good contacts who seldom solve our problems, make us many promises that they do not keep and are never proactive in solving our problems (and all this after convincing us to spend 10's of thousands of dollars on infrastructure and licenses). I will admit that you and I may have two totally different experiences with Good.

    However, anyone who has been with the Good implementation of GMM for Windows Mobile since the beginning will tell you that the experience has been disappointment after disappointment. And I believe anyone thinking of investing thousands of dollars in this technology ought to know the real story. This site alone is full of hundreds of posts by disenchanted GMM users. What more do you need to see?
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy View Post
    Hey CUN.ekkT.ed...
    Wow. What can I possibly say to the mensa member who is able to take my user name, spell it differently, and by capitalizing certain letters spell out a foul-mouth version of the female anatomy. You obviously win.

    Your parents must be proud.

    Note to children: this is EXACTLY why you should stay in school.
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by conekkted View Post
    Wow. What can I possibly say to the mensa member who is able to take my user name, spell it differently, and by capitalizing certain letters spell out a foul-mouth version of the female anatomy. You obviously win.

    Your parents must be proud.

    Note to children: this is EXACTLY why you should stay in school.
    And the fact that you have stooped to photoshopping screenshots means you have too much time on your hands.

    I have been lurking here for awhile now, but finally felt like I had to jump in here. Your constant bashing of Goodlink and bullying of goodguy has gotten to point of ridiculous. You have exaggerated the issues with the product, you have called a lack of a feature a bug. Good fixed something in a revision, yet you harp on the fact that the issue was there in the first place, but no credit is given to the fact that is has been fixed. My company has 100's of devices running Goodlink on both Palm and WM and, yes, there are issues, however, YOU decided to run Windows devices. You decided to go with an OS that:

    1) Is basically brand new
    2) Is from Microsoft

    Welcome to bleeding edge. This is the fifth revision of a mobile OS from Microsoft. Why 5? Because the other 4 were horrible. WM5 is decent because it is not as bad as the other 4 releases. To paraphrase your own words, "This site alone is full of hundreds of posts by disenchanted WM5 users". And they are not all using Goodlink.

    The fact that you did not do your own due dilligence before investing in a solution is your fault. If you completely based your decision to buy a solution based on the word of your sale rep, you have MUCH bigger issues at hand than an application that, despite it's blemishes, is the best-in-class when compared to every solution out there.

    By the way, Research In Motion just announced application support for WM devices. Now you have another choice. However, you will have to update all your devices to the SIXTH iteration of the Windows mobile OS. Let us know how THAT works out for you.

    http://www.blackberry.com/news/press..._2007-01.shtml
  10.    #10  
    This is what is so great about these forums...the ability for people to not only help each other, but also to debate the never-ending topics that make up convergence.

    There is no doubt that I am a harsh critic of Good up to this point in their application's history. I don't believe that a lot of you have to actually administer the server side of GMM and support dozens of devices, so you may not have any idea about the hours that it takes weekly to resolve issues that really should not exist in the first place. And I am certainly not above taking occasional sarcastic digs at Good and their product. That's the frustrated side of me. But the comments are never foul, threatening or without merit. And I have posted on many occasions that GMM is currently the best push mail solution out there. I have also touted its strengths like its speed of delivery and synchronization abilities. Do a lookup on my posts and see for yourself. But I expect those basic things to "work", so I am not going to come here everyday and post about those over and over. You have to understand that 90% of the posts on this site are about issues that people are trying to resolve.

    My only problem with some of the comments in the posts above are the lack of examples and facts to back up some of your own harsh statements. My posts are always so long because I give examples of what my IT team is encountering. Plus I have used GMM for years on many different devices and know the application inside and out. Also, take a look at the dozens of posts I have in forums outside of the Goodlink forum and you will see a totally different demeanor. I help out wherever I can and I ask lots of questions. But I also try to hold vendors accountable when they are doing less than should be expected (see my posts on Seidio customer service, for example).

    Quote Originally Posted by FrankieG View Post
    You have exaggerated the issues with the product, you have called a lack of a feature a bug.
    I will take my medicine where I am wrong. Please site the examples of where I have called a lack of feature a bug and I will rectify my comments.

    Quote Originally Posted by FrankieG View Post
    Good fixed something in a revision, yet you harp on the fact that the issue was there in the first place, but no credit is given to the fact that is has been fixed.
    And yes, I do harp on the issue that older bugs existed, but only when I believe they never should have been there in the first place and also when it subsequently takes way too long to eventually get fixed. A person or company has to be judged on their past performance, just like we all are at our jobs or in our personal relationships. Again, click on my user name and read past posts. I have indeed given credit for past fixes. But you will have to forgive me if I didn't jump up and down and applaud the fix to the degree that some may have liked (especially those times when their fixes break other things that used to work properly).

    Quote Originally Posted by FrankieG View Post
    My company has 100's of devices running Goodlink on both Palm and WM and, yes, there are issues...
    I have to ask this question. Do you actually administer the server-side implementation of Good for both Pam and WM OS for your company? Do you also have responsibility for the daily support of your user base with their devices?

    Quote Originally Posted by FrankieG View Post
    To paraphrase your own words, "This site alone is full of hundreds of posts by disenchanted WM5 users". And they are not all using Goodlink.
    Actually you got the quote wrong to the extent that you changed the meaning of it. To be exact, I said above, "This site alone is full of hundreds of posts by disenchanted GMM (not WM5) users." But I see where you are going with the WM comment, so I will explain. I have read EVERY single post in the Goodlink forums...and I read the new ones daily (no surprise there, huh). Look, I am the first one to gripe about the shortcomings of Micro$oft OS's both in the desktop world and in the mobile world. But that does not come close to explaining the incredibly rocky road that Goodlink has had with its windows implementation. Part of my job is testing software on our mobile devices. I have a few hundred WM titles sitting here on my desktop that can be installed on any device within a few minutes. I currently have a few devices with dozens of these titles loaded and running. Sure, there are a few dogs out there that don't work well or cause crashes, etc. But what do you expect from a $5 app that you bought off Handango. With the licensing cost per device with GMM plus the server side costs, yes, I do have MUCH higher expectations on the QA quality of the GMM product. Thus the huge disappointment. The point is that there are many very powerful, very complex applications out there that work splendidly with WM, regardless of 2003 or version 5. And not only do they work well, but they do not cripple the device nor interfere with other programs. Many of these developers have been nothing but professional in migrating their apps from version to version (both internal versions and WM versions). They respond to major bugs within days or weeks with a fix or workaround. And most of them do this without the benefit of a dedicated forum where dozens of power users are doing their QA for them. So I believe you can only take the "WM5 is buggy" argument so far in regards to GMM's poor performance.

    Quote Originally Posted by FrankieG View Post
    The fact that you did not do your own due dilligence before investing in a solution is your fault. If you completely based your decision to buy a solution based on the word of your sale rep...
    In hindsight, your comment here is fair. We did let our Good rep sell us a bill of goods. But if you read throughout the Goodlink forums here you will see that I am certainly not alone. Read GoodGuys old posts alone and you will see that many enhancements were delivered way beyond the date promised and some still have not been delivered to date. The statement that you made above that it is obviously not smart to rely on the words of Good's sales reps is another sad statement about their company. And the main reason that I post on this forum is so that other people thinking about investing large amounts of money know the facts beforehand and don't get hypnotized by the stickies of Best in Class from reviewers who have tried GMM on one device for 7 days.

    Quote Originally Posted by FrankieG View Post
    By the way, Research In Motion just announced application support for WM devices. Now you have another choice. However, you will have to update all your devices to the SIXTH iteration of the Windows mobile OS. Let us know how THAT works out for you.
    See how easy it is to get frustrated on the boards here. And that was your first post!

    Maybe I am too demanding, but our company cannot settle for mediocrity. And in some aspects GMM has not even reached that level. For those that think I am too harsh in the Goodlink forums I apologize. But I will continue to point out the areas that I believe Good owes us better service in. It is always interesting to see new GMM users post here talking about how great the application is (and in some regards, it truly is). Then wait a few weeks and you see the same posters coming back with all the age-old problems (contacts, attachments, memory hog, freezes, server disconnects, button mapping, etc). Again, I welcome the debate and the criticism. But please come back with facts and examples, not emotion. This forum is to help the other users out there. If I am stating something wrong or otherwise exaggerating, post a reply backed by research so that readers can form their own educated opinion.
    Last edited by conekkted; 04/23/2007 at 01:00 PM.
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by conekkted View Post
    This is what is so great about these forums...the ability for people to not only help each other, but also to debate the never-ending topics that make up convergence.

    There is no doubt that I am a harsh critic of Good up to this point in their application's history....
    I dont agree with you that the feedback comments generously offered to you are "harsh" as you label them. I do believe they represent a common perception of your conduct and behavior on these forums as manifested in rambling, generalized rants about how your company was promised X, Y, and Z by your Good account manager or support tech. Your assertion in response to my post and in later rants again here reveals more of the ignorance you have displayed in not gathering facts about the people posting, and in the idea that your whole complaints are so tied to promises made by sales people.

    I speak for myself here, but being the IT Manager at my job (I have yet to quite understand what it is exactly that your job title is, where you work, or how your employed would respond to your loquacious ramblings and rants on their behalf - sorry, but by definition thats what they are). I work with the server side of all applications we run on our networks, including of course the GMM Server and Console. I find this to be an eminently usable and intuitive application (compared to many of the others I have used and the relatively non-existent tools available for EAS at this point). Blackberry server admins also have pretty solid server management tools.

    Without picking apart your individual posts, which apparently others take exception to also based on your tone, your style, and your confusing, haphazard mixing of bugs, feature requests, interactions with Good, and your companies' rather bizarre history with the Good platform. Im not sure what your position there is or where you work, but if you took Getting Along with Others 101 and implemented some of that here I doubt you would have this problem. Instead you come across as a judgemental, self-righteous, and dismissive person who seems to enjoy the sound of your own voice.

    Yes, as the previous poster appropriately indicated, people on these forums express disagreement, and that is healthy enough. From reading the forums, the interjection of your almost fanatical invective distracts and diverts otherwise helpful discussions. You appear to have way to much negative energy attached to the Good platform to be working that out here.

    Im not looking for a line by line rebuttal, although Im sure youre warming up to it (exactly my point - see above). Good luck with moving to the EAS solution and dumping on those forums with all the bugs youre stuck with then (and of course, Microsoft's famous inexpensive tech support).

    -peter
    RIM 957 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Treo 750 / GMM
  12.    #12  
    Petey, thanks for the feedback. First I will briefly respond to the personal adjectives you used to refer to me and my posts. Please don't sell yourself short on your own ability to rant. While I believe I have a little bit more skill in that department, your last two posts above show great promise. And if you read closely I only refer to SOME of the posts in THIS thread as harsh. In no way do I refer to most people's feedback as harsh. I don't believe anyone here needs to reveal their company, job or title to be able to discuss the pros and cons of applications for WM5. I fail to see how that is pertinent. I believe you could make your points to me without describing my words as "ignorant, haphazard, confusing, fanatical, or invective". That is much more over the top than ANY lnaguage I ever use on the forums.

    I will say once again that people reading these posts need facts and examples to help make their own decisions on the topics being discussed. While I whole-heartedly understand that you may disagree with my tone in many posts, I almost always talk about first-hand experiences in using the product. Your contention above about my "confusing, haphazard mixing of bugs, feature requests, interactions with Good" is not supported by any examples or followed up by any facts that then disprove those. I don't at all mind people coming after me for my aggressive nature in responding to Good's lack of support on GMM. But for goodness sake back it up with factual information about the product. And toward that end I will comment on the only truly product-related comment you made above.

    I will agree that the console side on Goodlink (Palm OS and WM OS) is fairly straight-forward and easy enough to use. I challenge you to find posts where I dump on the Good server console. But you have to realize that GMM is for end-user consumption. That is the whole purpose of the software. The console is simply there to facilitate the end-users. And the end-users do NOT care one bit about the console and the server side. They simply want their handheld experience to be seemless and effective. They should never even need to know that the server side exists. And this is where my huge gripes about Good exist, the end-user experience.

    So in order to qualify the majority of my posts as "ignorant", I would love to hear your factual responses to the multitude of major problems that still exist with in the last few versions of GMM for WM5. The below examples are all prevalent in the 4.8 and 4.9 versions. They are, to name a few:

    1. GMM still takes over native contacts and does not allow native contacts to be accessed by any of the built in menu choices without hacking the registry. That to me is a bug because it negatively effects the functionality of my device (menaing it would work as designed without GMM loaded).

    2. On devices that use the Today screen speed dial feature, Good's handling of the database corrupts this feature.

    3. On many devices the offline feature does not close the data connection thus defeateing the true purpose of working offline.

    4. The offline feature is not persistent...meaning if you soft reset your device GMM goes back into online mode. A simple registry setting and subsequest reading by GMM upon restart should easily fix this. I still have not heard from Good why this cannot be fixed.

    5. On some WM5 devices GMM will disconnect from the mail server without warning. The only way I recognize this is because it is uncommon for me to go more than 10 minutes without receiving an email. When I notice that no mail has arrived in a while, I know it has disconnected and its time for a reset.

    6. GMM takes approx 7 MB to run any part of its suite. This makes it so that certain GPS and other large RAM apps cannot run at the same time as GMM. I have never seen any other application that takes even half as much active RAM to run. And if you read the Good 5.0 bulletin it looks like GMM 5.0 will need even more memory to run. Worse yet, on some devices there is no way to disable autostart. This means that with Goodlink loaded on your device some other 3rd party apps you may have loaded will never be able to run unless you uninstall Goodlink. So for me, Bug.

    7. Some devices still experience frequent freezes requiring soft-resets. I have to imagine this is due to the large memory footprint GMM has. These freezes are experienced even when GMM is the only 3rd party app loaded on the device.

    8. The new "Exit Good Messaging" is a blessing to those of us that need to close the behemoth once in a while to gain back RAM. But when GMM closes it does not return the contacts back to the native database. This makes it such that you cannot use the Today screen lookup/search. It comes up with nothing.

    9. Good's password implementation replaces the native password applet. When the password is enforced through your admin it causes some devices to miss phone calls and roll them straight to voicemail. It also sporadically causes certain reminders, notifications and sounds to malfunction. Other WM devices and also some Palm OS devices have reported many other strange occurences with the password applet on. Search the Good forum for "password" to see a multitude of issues here.

    10. Recent versions of GMM remap the hardware buttons and do not let you permanently remap them back. Big bug.

    Should we talk about DST? Naw...too much to write about and its already several weeks old. But their handling of that does make me skeptical about a huge release like 5.0.

    OK, so there are 10 bugs that I consider more than just a nuisance. All are on the device side of the GMM equation, not the server-side.

    Once again I am betting that none of the above posters actually handle the face-to-face and phone support of dozens of handheld users (across multiple device types). If you did you would absolutely agree that there are way too many basic bugs in the software that cause DAILY support nightmares.

    So please, start a thread called "Conekkted is a jerk" for all personal comments. Otherwise try to respond to this post with facts corroborating or dispelling the above bugs.
    Last edited by conekkted; 04/26/2007 at 10:24 AM.
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
  13. #13  
    Wow.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
    I am trying to figure out where you have been before January of this year since it appears, based on your posts, that you have been using GMM for years.
    Please understand that Treo has just recently started using the WM OS on their hardware devices. That is why I only recently sought out and found a Treo specific site. I have been online for years talking about Goodlink on pdaphonehome, howardforums, xda-developers and others.
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by conekkted View Post
    Please understand that Treo has just recently started using the WM OS on their hardware devices. That is why I only recently sought out and found a Treo specific site. I have been online for years talking about Goodlink on pdaphonehome, howardforums, xda-developers and others.
    Fair enough.
  16.    #16  
    Hmmm, is there no one to debate the 10 points above? Are any of them just not true? Are some features and not really bugs?
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by conekkted View Post
    Hmmm, is there no one to debate the 10 points above? Are any of them just not true? Are some features and not really bugs?
    Maybe no one cares enough to respond.

    I will answer a few of your questions. I and 3 others launched GL across a worldwide enterprise with several thousand users more than 2 years ago and we engineered server, infrastructure, client and helpdesk training with great success. Today one server, one client engineer continue with half a dozen helpdesk folks supporting the daily calls most of which are PIN regenerations or account resets.

    Initially most handhelds were PalmOS Treos but WM5 when it came out picked up some steam without a disproportional increase in support call volume granted PalmOS Treo was one of the more stable once they got to the latest ROM (which was not soon enough). While I would like to standardize on 3 or 4 models worldwide, logistically its a challenge and until we overcome that challenge, we support over 3 dozen unique phones - this is important to keep in mind because we for the most part have a very stable system and only a few calls into Good support a month. When we do, most have been resolved with actions on their side and others escalated into Good engineering.

    In regards to stability and memory requirements remember the primary requirement is to provide a good to excellent voice phone with enterprise level push email that is stable, intuitive to use, easy to support and has a good ROI. GMM meets this and often surpasses it in some areas in compared with other solutions. MSFT and BES are the closest competitors in my opinion but each still has its strengths and weaknesses.

    I have read some of the threads on bugs\issues\questions or inquires for help and encourage you and others to continue sharing information and when a suspected bug is found, document the heck out of it with make\model, ROM, OS, other 3rd party apps (sometimes the cause), carrier, scenario leading up to issue and lastly be as accurate and detailed as possible but brief (no one likes reading long tirades).

    Good luck with MS DP. While you cant beat the price, its poor client side security and lack of support tools may bring you back until WM7 or WM8.

    Cheers
    Last edited by eVader; 04/30/2007 at 10:22 PM.
  18. WDW
    WDW is offline
    WDW's Avatar
    Posts
    79 Posts
    #18  
    First off I have to say that I think about 25% of conekkted's posts are over the top. But with that said I agree that Goodlink/GMM has been one shortcoming after the next. I would like to see some other people's answers to the list of bugs he cites above. Our small group experiences most all of these and we are always on the latest version within a week of when it comes out. I see a lot of responses here but nothing that really directly addresses his very specific claims. eVader did mention memory requirements and the fact that he/she thought GMM does quite well with push mail stability and excellent voice capabilities. I think he is one of the few that would call GMM stable. And often time it messes wth the phone functions and other native functions. I am looking very forward to v5.0 and am willing to give Good this one more chance to get their act together.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by conekkted View Post

    1. GMM still takes over native contacts and does not allow native contacts to be accessed by any of the built in menu choices without hacking the registry. That to me is a bug because it negatively effects the functionality of my device (menaing it would work as designed without GMM loaded).
    This is not a bug, nor is it anything new. GMM has ALWAYS worked this way on all platforms. "To me this is a bug". No, it is the design of the application. The fact that you don't like it does not make it a bug. Finally, v5.0 allows use of both stores if the GMM admin allows it.

    2. On devices that use the Today screen speed dial feature, Good's handling of the database corrupts this feature.
    Close to a bug, but not as this is directly related to the way GMM handles contacts. Option in v5.0 to allow native stores will address this. Note it is an option, not a fix since it isn't a bug.

    3. On many devices the offline feature does not close the data connection thus defeateing the true purpose of working offline.
    Which devices would these be?

    4. The offline feature is not persistent...meaning if you soft reset your device GMM goes back into online mode. A simple registry setting and subsequest reading by GMM upon restart should easily fix this. I still have not heard from Good why this cannot be fixed.
    Soft resest, by definition, is a reset back to the defaults. The default for GMM is connected. Again, not a bug.

    5. On some WM5 devices GMM will disconnect from the mail server without warning. The only way I recognize this is because it is uncommon for me to go more than 10 minutes without receiving an email. When I notice that no mail has arrived in a while, I know it has disconnected and its time for a reset.
    Again, which devices? Also, on "some WM5 devices" data stalls have been ROM and device related, with or without GMM.

    6. GMM takes approx 7 MB to run any part of its suite. This makes it so that certain GPS and other large RAM apps cannot run at the same time as GMM. I have never seen any other application that takes even half as much active RAM to run. And if you read the Good 5.0 bulletin it looks like GMM 5.0 will need even more memory to run. Worse yet, on some devices there is no way to disable autostart. This means that with Goodlink loaded on your device some other 3rd party apps you may have loaded will never be able to run unless you uninstall Goodlink. So for me, Bug.
    You act like this is a surprise. GMM has always taken a hit for being a memory hog, no argument. This is not a bug. Is it something that is less than optimal? Yes, but just because you call it a bug does not make it one.

    7. Some devices still experience frequent freezes requiring soft-resets. I have to imagine this is due to the large memory footprint GMM has. These freezes are experienced even when GMM is the only 3rd party app loaded on the device.
    Once again, what devices?

    8. The new "Exit Good Messaging" is a blessing to those of us that need to close the behemoth once in a while to gain back RAM. But when GMM closes it does not return the contacts back to the native database. This makes it such that you cannot use the Today screen lookup/search. It comes up with nothing.

    9. Good's password implementation replaces the native password applet. When the password is enforced through your admin it causes some devices to miss phone calls and roll them straight to voicemail. It also sporadically causes certain reminders, notifications and sounds to malfunction. Other WM devices and also some Palm OS devices have reported many other strange occurences with the password applet on. Search the Good forum for "password" to see a multitude of issues here.
    First true bugs you have pointed out.

    10. Recent versions of GMM remap the hardware buttons and do not let you permanently remap them back. Big bug.
    And a release fixing that bug is forthcoming. It was pushed out internally here at Good yesterday.

    Should we talk about DST? Naw...too much to write about and its already several weeks old. But their handling of that does make me skeptical about a huge release like 5.0.
    Sure we should. And if we do, let's talk about Microsoft and Blackberry since they had major issues as well. No, that does not make it right that we had issues, however, to say we were the only ones, while your typical MO, is flat out wrong.

    Your generalizations "Some WM5 devices", "Some devices" are exactly that, generalizations.

Posting Permissions