Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is it possible to have tomtom say when you are near somewhere, ie: I want to map out the "red light cameras" with tomtom and have it "say out --- "warning: Red light camera ahead", when I approach the intersection. Thanks
    Depending on the exact TomTom model number, yes, it is possible. You can get more details and instructions here:

http://www.gps-poi-us.com

Quote Originally Posted by kocoman View Post
    Is it possible to have tomtom say when you are near somewhere, ie: I want to map out the "red light cameras" with tomtom and have it "say out --- "warning: Red light camera ahead", when I approach the intersection. Thanks
  3.    #3  
    Has anyone tried POI files with any GPS program for Treo?
    My city (Toronto) is not listed.
    Way off topic: how do you like tomtom on the 700p. I'm so close to getting the palm/TT gps package, but just can't go over the edge. Especially since the garmin c320 is $299 now (the wife has the 320 an we love it...)
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoogleNerd View Post
    Way off topic: how do you like tomtom on the 700p. I'm so close to getting the palm/TT gps package, but just can't go over the edge. Especially since the garmin c320 is $299 now (the wife has the 320 an we love it...)
    I still have to figure out where to buy an AAA/AA based Bluetooth GPS receiver, there are SIRF Star III, Star II etc. And to use Telenav or Tomtom?
    Quote Originally Posted by GoogleNerd View Post

I love the TomTom Navigator, since my contacts are automatically available. I use it all the time, even if I know where I am going for the Traffic alerts.
    I have tomtom 6 in my 700p as well...love it! i'm using a holux gpslim 236 receiver.
    I looked at the gps-poi site, and saw several files I would like to have. Red Light Cameras, Costco, etc. How do I import them into my Tom Tom 6?
    I think it depends on what format the files are in. For a TomTom, I think they have to be in OV2 format. If they are downloaded that way, you are set. If they are provided as text files (CSV) then you can convert them to OV2 using the free www.poiedit.com tool. I think the TomTom manual shows you how to install OV2 files once you get them in that format.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhboyd View Post
    I looked at the gps-poi site, and saw several files I would like to have. Red Light Cameras, Costco, etc. How do I import them into my Tom Tom 6?
  10.    #10  
    Which GPS units can penetrate buildings/backpacks?
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    SIRF III chipsets works in my glove box and office building.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
  12.    #12  
    Is it possible to show "detours" via small streets, etc. Sometimes I want to find garage sales while travelling detours..
    Is it possible to show "detours" via small streets, etc. Sometimes I want to find garage sales while travelling detours..
    It automatically remaps your travel if you veer off your destination. You can also set other POI's along the way to your final destination.
    Quote Originally Posted by mg48 View Post
    SIRF III chipsets works in my glove box and office building.
    +1 to that. I have the BT-338 with SIRF III chipset. I was shocked at how accurate it is indoors I would get the coordinates then type them into google earth.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by contempl8 View Post
    It automatically remaps your travel if you veer off your destination. You can also set other POI's along the way to your final destination.
    What I mean is.. we all know how to drive on major streets from here to there (common places, such as work, etc) but sometimes we have free time and would still like to go to the same place.. but just via different route. ie: sometimes if there is a traffic jam on the major roads, we would take the smaller "housing area" routes to bypass the affected area. I wonder if gps software can do that..
    What I mean is.. we all know how to drive on major streets from here to there (common places, such as work, etc) but sometimes we have free time and would still like to go to the same place.. but just via different route. ie: sometimes if there is a traffic jam on the major roads, we would take the smaller "housing area" routes to bypass the affected area. I wonder if gps software can do that..
    Yes, you can hit "find alternative route" you can also chose a scenic route when you set up your original route, you can tell it to take main streets side streets any streets ect. It also as a feature that you can tell it to take a new route to get around a road block or traffic jam and it will ask how far off you want to stay away from that area. Most of the time when i hit traffic I just randomly turn down a side street and it automatically makes me a new route.

check out tomtom's website or download the user manual and you can read about all the features it has way too many to list.
    Here are the instructions I posted for TomTom 5. http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...tom+poi+voices

You are supposed to be able to do the same with TomTom 6. The difference is that you just have to add the .ogg file with the voice promts directly to the file that contains the map you will be using. So you just have to follow steps 1 and 2. Unfortunately I have not been able to get it to work yet. The voice prompts are played like in slow motion...very slow. So you can't understand them. I am still trying to figure out the reason for this.
    Last edited by cash70; 05/20/2007 at 07:15 AM.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  18.    #18  
    Click here for the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database

This is another one I found, but nothing for Canada
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
    Stay away from TT6. Maps are NOT up-to-date at all!
    I have their latest map upgrade they released back in December 2006 and just two weeks ago, there were part of Victorville, CA that did not show up. I had to use Telenav that found where I was going and took me there...

I'm willing to sell my TomTom 6 software. Seriously
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentleman001 View Post
    Stay away from TT6. Maps are NOT up-to-date at all!
    I have their latest map upgrade they released back in December 2006 and just two weeks ago, there were part of Victorville, CA that did not show up. I had to use Telenav that found where I was going and took me there...

I'm willing to sell my TomTom 6 software. Seriously
    At least where I have traveled, it's as up to date as others I have used. There have been a few areas that were not completely accurate, but all I had to do was pick a street and let it reconfigure my route. I have compared it to Garmin and my wife's built in system in her Honda. They all are about the same, except TomTom does not speak the street name and doesn't say if the destination in on the left or right.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast