1.    #1  
    It's very important that Palm does this because it's not like the 700p is in dire need of a firmware update or anything. I'm glad this upgrade was at the top of their priority list.
  2.    #2  
    and maybe next they can release a WiFi SD Card for the Treo 600. Or better yet, release a firmware upgrade for the Treo 180 that magically enables Bluetooth - all of which are things that need to be addressed yesterday. I bet we will see a firmware upgrade for a Treo 10000j before we see one for the 700p. Isn't the First Quarter of this year over yet? Are they waiting until the last day? Maybe they haven't started yet. They probably haven't started yet, that's it. I wonder if the "p" at the end of Treo 700p actually stands for "pnever pgoing pto psee pa pfirmware pupgrade".
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    c5vettes, You pmust preally pbe ppissed poff!

Count me in! Loved your ppost.
    Well considering that the 700p is being replaced in may (at least on Sprint), I don't think there's any point in expecting a firmware update for the 700p.
    Um, Palm isn't updating the version of Windows on the 650. Windows is making the update available to the carriers, who are doing the testing to see if they want to offer it to their users.

Yeah, it's on a Treo, and yes, the 700p needs a few bugfixes, but these are disparate issues.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX View Post
    Um, Palm isn't updating the version of Windows on the 650. Windows is making the update available to the carriers, who are doing the testing to see if they want to offer it to their users.

Yeah, it's on a Treo, and yes, the 700p needs a few bugfixes, but these are disparate issues.
    Not necessarily. Any ROM update has to address things at the OS level and at the hardware level. WM6 is ready yes, but in order to make it "fit" into a particular phone the manufacturer (in this case Palm) has to work at the firmware level to make sure things get plugged to the right sockets, and hardware can talk to the software the right way. Thus the ROM update.

If it was a hands-off thing, anyone who had a WM5-enabled phone as of today could start trying out WM6 by themselves without waiting for the manufacturers to release the update. Folks would realize how things don't operate properly.

It's bullocks to think that Microsoft is the one pushing out the ROMs at their leisure when in fact the phone manufacturer is the one who has to put it together in a coherent way so the phones can actually handle the new OS.

This only demonstrates once again that in Palm's mind there are only two devices to take care off (680/750). The rest of us unlucky to not own said devices can take a hike...