Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I've been searching for an application, other than Profile Care, that will allow me to turn my 700p sounds off for a period of time (determined when I turn sound off) and automatically turn sound back on when that time is up. I'm not looking for an app that does this on a schedule (every night at 11); instead, I'm looking for something that will allow me to do this on the spot when the need arises. Does anyone have any recommendations? If not, I can always use the mute switch and set an alarm to remind me to unmute, but automatic would be better :-)

Thanks,
    Marc
    Mmmm... that's a great idea... But when I first read it, I thought that the app could also turn-off mute after a specified time while on a call. Time for TreoMute?

- mvk
    Game over!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Time for TreoMute?
    Yes! Now who's going to write it?
    Quote Originally Posted by mfield View Post
    Yes! Now who's going to write it?
    I'd like to think the race is on. But really, I've seem to have had enough PalmOS for the time being. Got to get back to my life, you know.

no... wait!
    Will Profiles by Milan do this? I'll check when I get a chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by sblanter View Post
    OH! of-course it will do this. Despite being a long-time user (and great fan) of Profiles, I missed the small little number field (minutes, hours) at the bottom of the select profiles pop-up!

- mvk
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by sblanter View Post
    Yes, looks like Profiles will do this too. However, I'm trying to avoid the broader profile manager programs and go with something more "lightweight" (i.e., something that will not slow my Treo down or create instability). I used Profile Care for a long time, previously with a Treo 650. With my 700, it really slows things down (the ones that bother me most are that it adds about 2 minutes to startup, there is a 30 second (or so) delay with each profile change (even a simple one such as turning keyboard lights on) and it usually adds a 5-10 second delay before my Treo will power off when I hit the red key). I'm concerned that Profiles will be similar, and I've also read that it resets a lot with the 700p and 680 (any feedback on these concerns?).

I found good replacements for the other Profile Care settings I use (the ones that operate at the same time each day: radio on/off, keyboard lights on/off, brightness day/night, and sound on/off). I just haven't found anything good to replace the "sound off for one hour" function.

Thanks for the replies!
    Marc
    Try this... it's beta, and with more options to follow.

Use Option Key + Right 5-way rocker (On) to switch on and Option Key + Left 5-way rocker (Off)...

It's a preferences panel...

- mvk

See post #11 for v1.0b2
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by GreenHex; 03/27/2007 at 07:38 AM.
    Game over!

Use Option Key + Right 5-way rocker (On) to switch on and Option Key + Left 5-way rocker (Off)...

It's a preferences panel...

- mvk

Don't you ever sleep??
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    Don't you ever sleep??
    I promised myself this will be the last of it, for now.

It was too simple to pass over.

- mvk
    http://www.swCP3.com/TreoMute/TreoMute.GIF

Release Notes:
    • It's ~ 10 KB size.
    • Messaging and Calender Alert stuff *not* implemented.

See v1.3 in post #51
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by GreenHex; 04/02/2007 at 12:57 PM.
    something to be said about the timeliness of this app. Just yesterday, this would have come in handy. I switched my 680 to mute because I was attending group coverage meetings yesterday. I forgot to switch it back and my 0445 alarm was silent this morning. I missed a much needed am workout. Now I've got this baby installed and don't have any more excuses. Oh, wait....I better uninstall this now

thanks!!
  13.    #13  
    As an amazed member of the TreoCentral community, I want to say thank you. I'm really excited that you're working on this! And as Christinac130 said, I wonder when you sleep...

Now as a beta tester, here is some feedback as you add options:

1. It would be great to be able to press the selected activation key multiple times and mute the device for another interval (so if your mute time is set to 30 mins, one press is 30 mins, two presses are 60 mins, etc.). Maybe a different key would put sound back on, or maybe just go back to the TreoMute prefs panel to turn sound back on.

2. On my device, I cannot use option-up or option-down. My applications seem to intercept this (happened with Initiate and Chatter, for example). Option-center, left, and right work fine. I'm perfectly happy using option-left -- just reporting this to help iron out conflicts/bugs.

3. When I'm done setting mute, the small red display stays on the screen until I do something that forces that part of the screen to redraw. Would be great if it just went away after 5 seconds or some other short period of time.

How much are you planning to charge for this? I hope people will consider it something they don't know how they lived without. I have had too many experiences like duke duke described and think this is one of those things that should have been built into the phone already.

Thanks again for working on this!
    Marc
    Great App. I've been looking for something like this....
    Thanks
    Wow... Thanks for your (and duke duke's and Christinac130's and MH01's) words of encouragement. Actually this is what has kept me going as my experience with selling software has been very bad, its pathetic.

Now, about TreoMute... Every feedback is valuable as implementation will always be based on some assumptions.

The main reason TreoMute is implemented in this way is that it should cause the least conflicts, least resets and the least freezes during operation.

1. It would be great to be able to press the selected activation key multiple times and mute the device for another interval (so if your mute time is set to 30 mins, one press is 30 mins, two presses are 60 mins, etc.). Maybe a different key would put sound back on, or maybe just go back to the TreoMute prefs panel to turn sound back on.
    This could be easily implemented, but during actual operation, it can get really irksome, in case you want to cancel the mute. The problem really is that there are so few hard-keys to marshal for switching. It would be unfair to take-over too many key-combinations for TreoMute operation. Maybe I'll think of some "smoother" way of implementing this feature.

2. On my device, I cannot use option-up or option-down. My applications seem to intercept this (happened with Initiate and Chatter, for example). Option-center, left, and right work fine. I'm perfectly happy using option-left -- just reporting this to help iron out conflicts/bugs.
    This happens with so many other software that I use too (includes Chatter, ScrBtn (that's one *great* software)). The reason for giving user configurable key combinations is to ensure that users select combinations that don't interfere with other apps, or else you'd find software with hard-coded key combinations. There is no real "conflict" in case some key combinations don't work, so there is nothing to worry about.

3. When I'm done setting mute, the small red display stays on the screen until I do something that forces that part of the screen to redraw. Would be great if it just went away after 5 seconds or some other short period of time.
    Now... this is something that I did think about. The reasons for leaving the display on are twofold. One is to inform the user who is not aware that the Treo has swiched modes, and the second is, if I put a timeout it will necessarily block other operation. Now the bitmap is simply painted over and is erased on a subsequent screen/ form refresh. I agree that the resulting screen artefacts are not pleasant, but they don't affect device operation.

How much are you planning to charge for this? I hope people will consider it something they don't know how they lived without. I have had too many experiences like duke duke described and think this is one of those things that should have been built into the phone already.
    This, I guess will be USD 5 to USD 10... I'd have made it freeware, but really, my other utilities are not really doing too well...

In the past 4 months I've been at this, I've written six Treo utilities (including one freeware, and the last being TreoMute). I've sold 4 licenses (one to a member of these forums) and given 4 licenses to others (all six utilities put-together, amazing!). So, clearly I'm no longer doing this for the money, though that was the prime motiviation in the begining.

I also find it rather discouraging (in a way) that these utilities are now available on all crack sites, some, even before they were listed on PalmGear.

- mvk
    Last edited by GreenHex; 03/27/2007 at 12:10 PM.
    Game over!
    it's a nice little program, but not something I couldn't live without. I think it shouldn't be more than a couple dollars, think of the effort put into it ... you had this thing out in one night? Of course you should get compensated I agree, but please not too much!
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
  17.    #17  
    This could be easily implemented, but during actual operation, it can get really irksome, in case you want to cancel the mute. The problem really is that there are so few hard-keys to marshal for switching. It would be unfair to take-over too many key-combinations for TreoMute operation. Maybe I'll think of some "smoother" way of implementing this feature.
    Is it possible to have an editable option in the popup window?

Now... this is something that I did think about. The reasons for leaving the display on are twofold.
    Makes sense.

This, I guess will be USD 5 to USD 10... I'd have made it freeware, but really, my other utilities are not really doing too well...
    I think cheaper is better. I'm not sure people would pay $10 for this given that apps with many more features sell for around that price.

Marc
    mfield, please see your PM... - mvk
    Is it possible to have an editable option in the popup window?
    That is a good idea, I think I'll make it so. - mvk

Last edited by GreenHex; 03/28/2007 at 06:58 AM.
    Release Notes:
    • Popup for mute time selection.

See: http://www.swCP3.com/TreoMute/TreoMute_User_Manual.html
    Download: http://www.swCP3.com/TreoMute/TreoMute.zip

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast