Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Release Notes:
    • Popup for mute time selection.
    Thanks for adding this feature. With the addition of "on the fly" selection of the mute duration, TreoMute is exactly what I was looking for. BTW, I tested the new feature and it works fine on my device (700p).

I hope TreoMute is successful for you -- hopefully it will at least *double* your software sales

Marc
    I've had a "mute" profile in ProfileCare for a while that does this, but quick work on putting another app together!

Have you considered bundling the tools together under one price, or perhaps even one application? Similar to what ProfileCare/ScheduleCare does, you can enable/disable individual pieces based on needs?
    Thanks khaytsus! and...

christo1970... thanks for your appreciation...
    Quote Originally Posted by christo1970 View Post
    it's a nice little program, but not something I couldn't live without.
    ...but I was hoping somebody else would comment on your other comment...
    Quote Originally Posted by christo1970 View Post
    I think it shouldn't be more than a couple dollars, think of the effort put into it ... you had this thing out in one night?
    I don't believe that you should consider "out in one night" as a benchmark for the effort, or seriousness, or the depth, or complication of anything (I'm not merely commenting on TreoMute). A lot of aspects are not taken into consideration in a statement like that; all the preparation to get to point where an application can be put together in a short time, or the amount of effort (and time) required to digest information to be able to do that.

The application, in this case, is (almost) trivial, but it is not without its complications and idiosyncracies.

I had a similar comment (on 1src, maybe from another developer) that the app (not TreoMute) was too small, but the cost (pricing) was too high! I didn't bother with that comment, but here on T|C, it is different, and people are more open and accommodating.

It sounds like saying to a sprinter that she did the 100 meters too fast, and made it look too easy, and so it is not worth it.

It really is easy to take a month and land with a 500 KB behemoth.

Then, there is the aspect of commissions to software retail websites, they do keep upto 45 percent of the selling price.

No offence, christo1970, just wanted put forward my point of view on this. Not that I'm going to price it 10 USD.

- mvk
    Last edited by GreenHex; 04/02/2007 at 01:00 PM.
    I think GreenHex is right in his defence of the "Just One Night" argument. That said, people will pay what the app is worth to them, not what it cost to produce. Just ask IBM.

Another idea for a similar app is one which intercepts the normal "Mute Switch" action. If the switch is set to mute, up pops a little alarm setter, with some buttons for 30 minutes, 60 minutes, etc. At the end of that time, your device vibrates wildly, reminding you it's time to unmute.
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    Another idea for a similar app is one which intercepts the normal "Mute Switch" action. If the switch is set to mute, up pops a little alarm setter, with some buttons for 30 minutes, 60 minutes, etc. At the end of that time, your device vibrates wildly, reminding you it's time to unmute.
    This can be done, but with something like TreoMute, you can forget the mute switch ever existed; it effectively replaces it (the switch). - mvk
    Maybe he's got something there. Sometimes it's quicker/easier just to flick that mute switch. The popup displays user-configured time options, if nothing is selected by the user, it defaults to a user-configured time.
  7. tck
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    GreenHex, I must be doing something wrong. I have installed the application from my card to Ram. But when I enabled it & press Done, it does not mute. And when I go back to the application I noticed that all the "Select Alerts to Mute:" have been unselected.

My settings : unselected as None for both Activation & Modifier Keys & selected "Display Time Selection Popup."

Pls let me know what is wrong.
    Do I need to run TreoStar as suggested in the manual?

I am using Treo 680 & I am also using Phone Technician to control my Call/SMS ring tones; Agendus & Butler's Attention Grabber.

Latest :
    Now with Activation & Modifier Keys selected & "Select Alerts to Mute:" are all correctly selected, but my unit still does not mute.
    Last edited by tck; 03/28/2007 at 10:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tck View Post
    GreenHex, I must be doing something wrong. I have installed the application from my card to Ram. But when I enabled it & press Done, it does not mute. And when I go back to the application I noticed that all the "Select Alerts to Mute:" have been unselected
    I think the problem you are having is, you have *not* enabled TreoMute. That is the "Enable TreoMute" right at the top of the screen towards the right. Any preference changes you make will be SAVED ONLY IF YOU PRESS "Done". If you do an app-switch via the hard button, the preferences are not saved.

Let me know how it goes...

- mvk

PS: TreoMute will NOT work if you have -None- selected for the activation keys... (how else to activate it?). You need to set your preferred key combination, and press "Done"...

Then, when you press the key combination from anywhere (phone, launcher, ChatterEmail, DtoG...) the TreoMute pop-up will be displayed (but only for THREE seconds, there is a timeout, by which time you can change your default mute time).

After time-out your sound prefs will be restored to what it was before the mute...

The reason for making this a Preferences Panel is once you set it you can forget about it, and use only the Activation+Modifier key combinations to enable TreoMute. No cluttering-up the Launcher...

(On the aside, you MUST have a valid "Activation" key selected for TreoMute operation, though the "Modifier" can be -None-)
    Last edited by GreenHex; 03/28/2007 at 10:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sblanter View Post
    Maybe he's got something there. Sometimes it's quicker/easier just to flick that mute switch. The popup displays user-configured time options, if nothing is selected by the user, it defaults to a user-configured time.
    I, myself am a great fan of manual controls and buttons, the more there are the better... Despite this, the auto-return-to-previous-state-after-timeout is something that is not possible with the Mute switch (I think that electronically disables the speaker).

Maybe I should think about it... (no not now, I got another project started, yesterday)

- mvk
  10. tck
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Yes, I have enabled it already.

What is the function of Activation + Modifier keys? When I enabled them, then only "Select Alerts to Mute:" are selected (without being unselected after Done).

My last resort is to do a soft reset - then maybe it will work.
    Yes, I have enabled it already.

What is the function of Activation + Modifier keys? When I enabled them, then only "Select Alerts to Mute:" are selected (without being unselected after Done).

My last resort is to do a soft reset - then maybe it will work.
    WAIT! don't soft-reset... (despite the common feeling among Treo users, a soft reset is not the solution for everything, and I just hate having to reset for any reason)

I've added the PS: to my previous answer... that should clarify everything.

- mvk
    Oops. Sorry about that mvk. I think you're probably right about that mute switch. It just sounded good! Maybe, like you said, worth looking at though.
  13. tck
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    I got everything selected correctly but still no mute.

Alas, in response to a Snooze from Agendus, my unit soft reset - never had a soft reset from a Snooze from Agendus.

For the time being I have remove TreoMute. Will checkout again when I have more time.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Hi Hexie

Thanks!!! This works perfectly for me, very impressed. My only request would be at least one other time point between 1hr and two hours. Most seminars/meetings I go to are meant to be 1hr, but they nearly always stretch just that little bit longer!!

Personally, Im willing to pay 100 bucks for this - local currency of course

Which reminds me, you once referred to the "beauty of an unlimited data plan" (for your Treo). Just curious which one you use.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    Personally, Im willing to pay 100 bucks for this - local currency of course

Which reminds me, you once referred to the "beauty of an unlimited data plan" (for your Treo). Just curious which one you use.
    Thanks... But, I'd rather not go with the 100... The way you said it makes me feel downright insulted.

The pricing is not fixed as yet. You can keep a watch here...

I have BSNL CellOne (here it's GPRS, not EDGE). GPRS while roaming however is charged as extra, but it really is quiet less like 2 Paise per KB or something. But the great part is you can travel to even the remotest village in any part of the country and you will still be connected.

- mvk
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    I have BSNL CellOne (here it's GPRS, not EDGE). GPRS while roaming however is charged as extra, but it really is quiet less like 2 Paise per KB or something. But the great part is you can travel to even the remotest village in any part of the country and you will still be connected.

- mvk
    Thanks for that. I looked on their site, sounds better than the Airtel 399 per month/10Mb deal I currently use. And I have often experienced the non-coverage of the airtel network.

anyway, i shouldnt hijack this thread!

cheers,

your, sorry-I-never-meant-to-be-insulting, friend,
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    anyway, i shouldnt hijack this thread!
    To digress a little (just one more post), BSNL has a 1+1 plan so you get two lines in one plan with calls between the two lines free.

- mvk
  18. tck
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    I tried it again & this time I got every setup correct, even got the pop up ready, but the mute function still eludes my unit.

I want to enquire again, does Phone Technician (to control my Call/SMS ring tones); Agendus & Butler's Attention Grabber, interfere with TreoMute? I am using all these applications.

Thanks
    I tried it again & this time I got every setup correct, even got the pop up ready, but the mute function still eludes my unit.

I want to enquire again, does Phone Technician (to control my Call/SMS ring tones); Agendus & Butler's Attention Grabber, interfere with TreoMute? I am using all these applications.

Thanks
    It is quiet possible that the the utilities you mention interfere in some way (or the other way around).

That being said, there is nothing in TreoMute that is malicious to the operation of the Treo. You just need to select the correct key combinations that work for you, with your combinations of key presses. For example some keys don't activate TreoMute in ChatterEmail, some others don't work in ScrBtn. I've selected a combination that works for me (i.e., launches TreoMute) in most of my Treo apps.

Now, when the key combination is pressed (and the current application does NOT trap the key press), you should get the pop-up window. You can select the timeout and press any key to exit.

All sound volumes will be set to zero (still not implemented "Messaging" and "Calendar", but that will be done shortly).

After the time period selected, the volumes will be automatically set back to what it was before you activated TreoMute.

In case you want to cancel mute, you can press the same key combination again and it will reset the sounds back as it was.

In case you are looking for a "mute" for the phone volume, TreoMute does NOT do that!

Do post back in case you need clarifications.

- mvk

PS: Uploaded v1.2 http://www.swCP3.com/TreoMute/TreoMute_User_Manual.html
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Have you considered bundling the tools together under one price, or perhaps even one application? Similar to what ProfileCare/ScheduleCare does, you can enable/disable individual pieces based on needs?
    That is possible, but with my short experience at developing PalmOS applications, I've found that small, specialized utilites work better. The program flow is straightforward and smooth. It also keeps everything neat and tidy on the Treo, especially if the functionality of the individual apps have nothing to do with each other. Easier to track down bugs too.

But I could still bundle apps together in one package.

- mvk
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast