Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    I was thinking about a unlocked treo 680 from palm for use on tmobile. After reading this forum I'm a little hesitant as there seems to be many issues. Are most of these issues related to the cingular branded 680 or is the unlocked version from palm just as troublesom. Im a previous 600 and 700w user. Thanks for your input.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    I'm using the unlocked version on T-Mo and the only problems i've had are due to apps i've added and of course the whole battery thing. I've resolved myself to the fact that in order to have the thinner 680 (thinner than my 600 anyway) i have to deal with less battery time.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    So whats your honest opinion, should I go for it? How is the rf? Currently i'm using the dash.
    Quote Originally Posted by heckj View Post
    So whats your honest opinion, should I go for it? How is the rf? Currently i'm using the dash.
    I'm with randyg. I just picked up a Cingular branded Crimson 680, and it has been actually glitch-free...aside from the battery deal. But unless you are a "power user" the battery will last a full day and then some. Like randyg said, slimmer battery = shorter battery life.

RF has been excellent on every one of my Treos (the Crimson is my third), with very good signal-capture in almost any situation. As purely a mobile phone...it is one of the best I have ever owned.

I say, go for it!!
    I got an Arctic unlocked which I'm using w/Cing -- couldn't be happier.

keep in mind, the folks who are posting here are those having problems, I think you don't hear as much from happy peoples. the battery life isn't as good as the 650, but it'll easily go a day.
    I had a 650 before and have had an unlocked crimson 680 (using with T-Mobile) since December 1st, and I love, love, love it!! Hands down, it's better for me than the 650, and I really loved the 650! The phone reception is better, the bluetooth is better, the screen is brighter, it's much more stable because of the larger internal memory capacity, it natively takes large-capacity SDHC cards, and the external speaker is far better.

Like rayfield said, you mostly see the problems in these posts because people are looking for help finding solutions. It's the rare thread that talks about all the good stuff -- but for me, there's lots and lots of good stuff with the unlocked 680 (which doesn't have the gibberish and no service problems many 680 owners who have purchase Cingular-branded 680s have had).
    I like the 680, and on regular Palm apps it seems to work, the Bluetooth audio quality in my car has been awful however. I tried another 680 at the store and it was the same thing. A 650 and an HTC TyTN work great, so it's Bluetooh in the 680 that is the problem. The guy at the Cingular store in Seattle said they're not selling it actively and in fact have pulled it from the shelves because of the amount of returns (his words, not mine).
    I'm a Tmobile user, and used a couple of unlocked unbranded 680's when they first came out, and the battery issues (plus some other glitches) made me return them. I tried the Tmobile DASH and while I like the WM5 OS, I didn't like the form factor, it just didn't fit in my hand. I finally went with an unlocked unbranded copper 680 (about a week before Palm quit selling them), and have seen a much improved battery life. It is not what I got from the 650, but it is much better, to the point that I can go a couple of days between charges if I need to. I am also trying a Cingular unlocked Treo 750 since it is WM5, and will be comparing the two to see which I like better. Both OS's have the good and bad points.

Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    is it true that cingular is no longer seling the 680? What about palm? I dont want to pick up a phone that has been discontunued.
    For what it's worth, I stopped in a local Cingular store and they told me that they only sell the 680's via special order, they don't carry any stock in the store, and they only carry the crimson and graphite models. The reason they gave was the 750 model was selling better so they didn't stock it.

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I have the Crimson unlocked from Palm and signed up the TMO. No problems with this phone. I especially like all the memory it has; coming from a 650, this is a big deal for me. Plus, I can still use all my Palm apps that I've already purchased and used for several years. My battery runs well - I charge it every other day and turn bluetooth on when I need it (makes a big difference).
    Handspring Visor 2mb; Visor Prism; Palm i705; Tungsten2; VZW Treo650; TMO Crimson Treo680; iPhone 3g on TMO edge
    Just got an unlocked 680 to use with T-Mobile since Cingular's coverage, dropped call frequency, and customer service seem to be a lot worse than T-Mobile in my area (western VA suburbs of Washington, DC). I'm getting very good reception on voice, email, and web applications, and nearly all my old Palm apps (upgraded from a Zire 31) work just fine. So far so good after less than a week.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    One thing that you really need to keep in mind, especially with all the positive remarks here. If you start adding apps to the phone you jeapordize it's solidness! This is true with any sort of computer. So if you get the 680 and never add any apps at all to it you will probably never have a single problem. But if you're like me and load it up with all kinds of goodies, you WILL have problems! How bad, it depends on the quality of the apps you add. Obviously if you add one that keeps crashing the Treo you'll remove it. But you might also add one that just creates simple little headaches now and then. I just say this because you hear so many people on these boards with all kinds of problems, and i guarantee you they've added a problematic app. So don't buy the 680 and expect no problems at all. The main reason regular cell phones are usually rock solid is because the manufacturer or carrier has total control of what goes on the phone and they test everything they put on there. This is one reason i'm speculating the iPhone will be a very solid device when it comes out.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    is it true that cingular is no longer seling the 680? What about palm? I dont want to pick up a phone that has been discontunued.

The phone hasn't been discontinued! Palm has stopped selling unlocked 680s in the pretty colors, but is still selling the graphite. Cingular now has an exclusive on the colors.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    I ordered the phone at the palm retail store and will be picking it up in the morning. Im really looking forward to it as I havent used the palm os since my treo 600. Adding problematic apps occurs with any os, i have had my share of problems with wm5. I did try the beta of wm6 on my dash and it was definitely more stable. I am a phone geek so I can never keep a phone for that long before I need to try the next greatest thing. I did see someone mentioned the iphone, I wanted this until I tried cingular phone service on the 30 day trial. I will never sign up with cingular after the horrible phone reception and service. I guess ill have to wait for a unlocked iphone. Ill let you all know how the 680 works out and thanks for all the opinions and tips.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    My 600 died (after 3+ no problem years), I am a Tmo customer. I just bought a Arctic Treo 680 unlocked from ebay. Seller claimed it had a defect with touchscreen. It actually just needed recalibration. It is a great upgrade from a 600 for me. Nicer form factor, more memory and bluetooth. I paid just under $200..I think these are going for much more. Not sure if the white color for an unlocked phone will be worth more now taht it is a cingular only option. I may decide to sell...I am on the fence about the color and may want graphite.

Anyhow, my initial impressions and experience is positive. I was able to get all my favorite apps onto the 680. My GPS solution and cradles will need to replaced as the connectors have changed from my treo 600, but it is well worth any trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by randyg View Post
    One thing that you really need to keep in mind, especially with all the positive remarks here. If you start adding apps to the phone you jeapordize it's solidness! This is true with any sort of computer. So if you get the 680 and never add any apps at all to it you will probably never have a single problem. But if you're like me and load it up with all kinds of goodies, you WILL have problems! How bad, it depends on the quality of the apps you add. Obviously if you add one that keeps crashing the Treo you'll remove it. But you might also add one that just creates simple little headaches now and then. I just say this because you hear so many people on these boards with all kinds of problems, and i guarantee you they've added a problematic app. So don't buy the 680 and expect no problems at all. The main reason regular cell phones are usually rock solid is because the manufacturer or carrier has total control of what goes on the phone and they test everything they put on there. This is one reason i'm speculating the iPhone will be a very solid device when it comes out.
    When I did my test at the Cingular store, there was nothing else on the phone but generic Palm apps and the Bluetooth in my car wasn't usable. The guy at the store said "Yup, it's the 680 that's the problem".
    Love my 680... I've even dropped it on its head a few times and it's still working. (I don't recommend that though).
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I got a Treo 680 which was unlocked through 680unlock.com or something like that. No problems . This was originally a Rogers-locked Treo 680.

Palm M100 -> Handspring Treo 90 -> Sony Clie NR70v -> Dell Axim X3 adv. -> Dell Axim x50v -> Dell Axim x51v -> nothing.

Razr Z3 -> Nokia N73 -> Samsung i320n -> Nokia N73 -> HTC TyTN -> Palm Treo 680
    I ordered the phone at the palm retail store and will be picking it up in the morning. Im really looking forward to it as I havent used the palm os since my treo 600. Adding problematic apps occurs with any os, i have had my share of problems with wm5. I did try the beta of wm6 on my dash and it was definitely more stable. I am a phone geek so I can never keep a phone for that long before I need to try the next greatest thing. I did see someone mentioned the iphone, I wanted this until I tried cingular phone service on the 30 day trial. I will never sign up with cingular after the horrible phone reception and service. I guess ill have to wait for a unlocked iphone. Ill let you all know how the 680 works out and thanks for all the opinions and tips.
    So? How do you like it? It's been two weeks...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast