Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    When i tried searching for bluetooth related stuff, all i found was people advising others to turn it off for battery savings. (I get about 78 hours with IR, BT both turned off and 2-3 sms and 2 calls a day)

Anyways...i cant seem to send anything to anyone when i use bluetooth.

I have an unlocked 680, straight from palm.

I dont understand why it's bluetooth is so difficult to use..i connect to someone, they send me a pin, i send it back, we are connected.

When i try to go into my pics/videos viewer and try to send a pic i took, it says "unable to send", and ive never once been successful in transferring any type of file via bluetooth..

Can anyone help me out? It just pisses me off
    Last edited by ZlatkoZ; 03/24/2007 at 09:18 PM.
    might try turning ir off when you try the transfer - someone else said this worked for them.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    might try turning ir off when you try the transfer - someone else said this worked for them.
    Sorry, i meant to say, IR was turned off, i edited the post.

Any ideas guys?
    No idea... I sent files to my wifes Treo often.

Try setting both to Visible I assume? It shouldn't matter once they're trusted, but...
    I find using Bluetooth always a challenge, but in the end I do get it to work, and I send files to my PC fairly regularly. But, as I say, each time is a struggle. On the other hand, I think that once I get them paired with the number, success is at hand. I'm not sure I ever sent a photo in the way you describe, though. You might make sure it's on internal memory and not on the SD card, as just one of many steps i would take.
    BTW do you have Softick Commander installed? It takes over Bluetooth from my experience..
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    BTW do you have Softick Commander installed? It takes over Bluetooth from my experience..
    Nope...what is that?
    What device are you trying to send stuff to? If the 680's BT is like the 650's, then the problem is that most devices prefer to use the FTP protocol for transferring files. The Treo on the other hand, uses generic OBEX to transfer files. So the device you're trying to send stuff to is looking for an FTP connection, while the Treo is using an OBEX connection.

I have no problem sending stuff from my Treo to any of my other friends' Treos, but my Samsung A900 which uses FTP instead of OBEX and/or OPP won't receive or send files to my Treo because it doesn't detect the FTP profile.

In short, it probably won't work if what I described is the case. Now if this is another Treo or PalmOS device you're trying to send to, then there's something wrong.
  9.    #9  
    No, none of the devices im trying to send stuff to are palm devices.

It's a bunch of different motorola, samsung and sony ericsson phones..

I mean, i can see them, they can see me, we can pair..we can be trusted devices, but i cant for the life of me send anything..

And that's unfortunate because it was one of the selling points for me upgrading to a Treo 680 from a stupid motorola razr, i couldnt use that thing's bluetooth either.

I just got Bluetooth Commander v1.02, but i havent had a chance to test it with any devices yet.

I went on their site to get just some help on how to use it, and i found this

http://www.softick-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=848

So that isnt very encouraging either
    Um, Bluetooth Commander is BAD IMO, it takes over Bluetooth.. Kinda like I said above.

But if all you need from Bluetooth is what it provides, then that's fine I guess.
  11.    #11  
    Um, Bluetooth Commander is BAD IMO, it takes over Bluetooth.. Kinda like I said above.

But if all you need from Bluetooth is what it provides, then that's fine I guess.
    So what do you suggest?

Ive tried using the normal bluetooth, it just isnt very well built..i send anything to any device
    Quote Originally Posted by ZlatkoZ View Post
    So what do you suggest?

Ive tried using the normal bluetooth, it just isnt very well built..i send anything to any device
    I was able to bluetooth a photo from the Palm to my Nokia after pulling out most of my short hair but it can be done.

Phones used:
    Treo 680 and Nokia 6682

1. Enable bluetooth on both phones. Bluetooth > Trusted Devices
    2. I set the Nokia to look for new BT devices. It picked up the Palm.
    3. I set the Palm to look for new BT devices and it found the Nokia.
    4. The Nokia asked for a security code. So did the palm. They don't make it clear that you enter the same numbers on each phone.
    5. I entered 0000 on Nokia and 0000 on the Treos displays and the phones successfully attached as BT.
    6. I went into the Palm Picture program and sent a picture to the Nokia.
    7. The Nokia received it as a new message.

The most frustrating part was getting the two phones to acknowledge and trust each other. Once that was successfully completed the picture transfer was quick.
    Palm V > Palm Tungsten E > Palm Treo 680 (Unlocked GSM) purchased 1-4-07
    -
    My 680 Stats: Firmware-MW01.50; Software: TREO680-1.04-ROW; Hardware: A
    -
    Cellular One / PrimeCo / AT&T Wireless / Sprint / Clingular / AT&T Wireless (Cingular)
    -
    Moto Startac * PrimeCo Qualcomm * Nokia 6400 * Sanyo 4500 * Sanyo 8100 * Nokia 6682 (Unlocked) * Palm Treo 680 (Unlocked)
  13.    #13  
    Steve, i did that, but every time i tried to send something, it just comes up with "Unable to send"...and it wont stop giving me that
    Um, that's normal.. That's the point of the PIN, to make sure both sides agree on the number.
  15.    #15  
    Um, that's normal.. That's the point of the PIN, to make sure both sides agree on the number.

We're trusted devices...
    I don't think you understood the point of my earlier post.

Basically, there are two possible scenarios with the phones you're trying to send to.

1. They can send and receive files, but they use the FTP profile, OPP profile, or some other profile (although I don't think there are any other profiles used for file transfer).

2. They don't have any kind of file transfer protocool and can't receive files from anything (usually a way of crippling the phone by the carrier).

Regardless, in either situation, you wouldn't be able to get it working...

I'm betting it's situation number 1. In my experience, Samsungs and Motorolas use the FTP profile, which the Treo doesn't support. Don't know about Sony Ericcsons and Nokia...

So basically, I don't think you'll be able to get this working, unless the device you're transferring to has the OPP and/or OBEX profiles, which most newer phones don't use for sending/receiving files, only for sending vCards.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    I don't think you understood the point of my earlier post.

Basically, there are two possible scenarios with the phones you're trying to send to.

1. They can send and receive files, but they use the FTP profile, OPP profile, or some other profile (although I don't think there are any other profiles used for file transfer).

2. They don't have any kind of file transfer protocool and can't receive files from anything (usually a way of crippling the phone by the carrier).

Regardless, in either situation, you wouldn't be able to get it working...

I'm betting it's situation number 1. In my experience, Samsungs and Motorolas use the FTP profile, which the Treo doesn't support. Don't know about Sony Ericcsons and Nokia...

So basically, I don't think you'll be able to get this working, unless the device you're transferring to has the OPP and/or OBEX profiles, which most newer phones don't use for sending/receiving files, only for sending vCards.
    Ok...well..i got a bluetooth 2.0 dongle for my PC.

This is what happened:

Tried it with 2 phones
    -Treo 680, was only able to send "objects" to it such as "business card" and stuff like that, but i was able to trick it, into letting me send files to it of any kind that i saw fit.

-Sony Ericsson W950I, that ended up being the same as the Treo 680.

I tried it as well with my little brother's Samsung, and all these other features appeared for his phone that werent available for the treo..like file transfer...email syncing, all this crazy stuff..

I dont understand why the Treo 680 has so many issues with bluetooth...

I think there must be something else going on here. I can Bluetooth to my PC, frm my PC, to my wife's 650, from her 650, and to my colleague's Palm devices, and from them. It isn't always easy, but it does work once you figure out what has to be turned off, what has to be turned on, and what devices to erase before you start again to establish the particular device as the only trusted device, or whatever. But it does work in the end (usually). I hot sync via bluetooth regularly. Recently I switched to the USB cable and it took me forever to switch back. But in the end it worked. If I knew why it eventually worked for me, I'd tell you, but I don't. I just keep trying and it does. So I guess you're right.
    We're trusted devices...
    .....and you described the PIN during the Trust process....

This is what happened:

Tried it with 2 phones
    -Treo 680, was only able to send "objects" to it such as "business card" and stuff like that, but i was able to trick it, into letting me send files to it of any kind that i saw fit.

-Sony Ericsson W950I, that ended up being the same as the Treo 680.

I tried it as well with my little brother's Samsung, and all these other features appeared for his phone that werent available for the treo..like file transfer...email syncing, all this crazy stuff..

What bluetooth stack are you running? Please don't use the default Microsoft stack, it's garbage. If your BT adapter came with a CD, use the CD to install the software.

What phone does your brother have?

It's not that the 680 has bluetooth issues, but rather that Palm didn't design the bluetooth stack very well on the PalmOS. There's really not much we can do about it as far as I know.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast