Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The DateBook+ application's big brother, DateBk4, is amazing software and worth a look. It's extremely stable and includes revisions and improvements to the built-in Handspring apps.

If you know DateBook+ then you already know most of DateBk4. It should look familiar; both were written by Pimlico Software. DB4 has better views and the ability to link contacts to appointments and todos. Once you get comfortable with it, check out some of the great customization options available through the preferences.

If there is anything to 'complain' about it's just the breadth of the features - when you first work with it, it can be a little confusing. But this is mostly so for folks who bought Palms and not Handsprings, as they may not have seen DateBook+ before.

You can find it at Pimlico's website. A very thorough manual is available from the site, too, in Adobe's pdf format. It's worth a look.

Hope that all is well with everyone.

- Dave

(My original post had a bad URL which I just corrected - D'oh! )
    Last edited by ThomsoD; 04/12/2001 at 04:32 PM.
    "If you don't chase Perfection, you'll never have a chance to catch excellence." - Vince Lombardi
    i found the software pretty unintuitive and the manual very poorly written.

i much prefer Action Names Datebook, which i believe is also a smaller filesize and considerably more intuitive. you can get it from www.iambic.com

mc
    Alas, the datebook wars are not over yet.
    Both ActionNames and Datebk4 have their supporters.

http://www.writingonyourpalm.net/column000619.htm
    http://www.writingonyourpalm.net/column000425.htm
    --
    SURREAL SAGE SEZ: Wouldn't it be worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us happen because we really deserve them?
    Originally posted by ThomsoD
    You can find it at Pimlico's website.
    - Dave
    Living in Maryland, I too am a fan of horse racing, but I am not sure what it has to do with this topic. You might want to double check your URL, I think you meant it to point here
    Sven

If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished.
    Originally posted by sdoersam

Living in Maryland, I too am a fan of horse racing, but I am not sure what it has to do with this topic. You might want to double check your URL, I think you meant it to point here
    Also living in Maryland, I too am a fan of talking cucumbers
    I tried DB4 in my early-newbie days (these being my late-newbie days), and was overwhelmed. The interface seemed cluttered. Now, I suppose, I may be better able to handle it.

I'm trying out Action Names. I miss the floating events (hopefully, the beefed-up ToDo will fill that void), but I love the icons!

I have a feeling that Action Names may win out. But I'll probably give DB4 one more try...
    Originally posted by patwoods

Also living in Maryland, I too am a fan of talking cucumbers
    LOL
    Sven

If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished.
    Frankly, Datebk4 is the application that makes my Visor as useful as it is. It's the last app I'd be willing to part with.

That said, when friends who have just bought Visor/Palms ask what applications to get for it, I qualify my recommendations for Datebk4. I usually tell them to play with the built-in Datebk application first (or especially Datebk+ with Visors), and see if this is adequate to what they need. (This also gives them a chance to get familiar with the 4 standard Palm OS applications.)

Then, a month later, if they're longing for missing functionality with their built-in app, I point them at Datebk4 (or sometimes Datebk3, depending on what they want to do), with the following warning:

YOU WILL NEED TO READ THE MANUAL.

Datebk4 was the first piece of software in years where I actually RTFM. I needed to, to understand what options I had to choose from; and I needed to reflect on how I wanted to configure it. Personally, I found it fairly easy to grok; but it was necessary for me to read the whole thing.

However, it was worth the effort. I now have a PDA that organizes my life in a way that is intuitive for me.

No, is not used without effort. But for picky bastards like myself, it is worth said effort.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Question:

Which is better designed for use with the Stowaway, DB4 or ActionNames?
  10.    #10  
    As the guy who posted this topic -- gushing about the coolness of DateBk4 (DB4) -- I also agree with those who like Action Names DateBook (AN). That too is a great program.

I was a DateBk3 guy, and when revision A of DateBk4 came out I found that I didn't like it so I deleted it. Around that time, I also tried AN and liked it, so I switched to AN.

AN is great and I used it for a long time until I decided to give the latest release of DB4 a shot. What I found felt more polished to me (and arguably more powerful than AN) so I made the switch back to it. Among other things, I guess that I like the views more, especially the list view.

The debate rages on, DateBK4 or Action Names DateBook. Heck, they both have trial periods - try them both and then decide for yourself.

- Dave
    "If you don't chase Perfection, you'll never have a chance to catch excellence." - Vince Lombardi
    ActionNames all the way!
    I've used Datebk4 since August. I just last nite switched to Action Names simply because it has gotten to be a pain to pull the device out of the Rhodiana case to reset it every time I create an appointment. It was almost counter-productive.....

Nice features though.

Cheers,

Arker
    Originally posted by Arker
    I've used Datebk4 since August. I just last nite switched to Action Names simply because it has gotten to be a pain to pull the device out of the Rhodiana case to reset it every time I create an appointment. It was almost counter-productive.....

Nice features though.

Cheers,

Arker
    You mean your Visor locks up every time you enter an appointment? Yeah, that'd make me consider switching, too.

I haven't had any problems like that with Datebk4 -- the only conflict was one with Afterburner (maybe) and pushing the buttons in Datebk a bit too quickly. Other than that, Datebk's bulletproof (for me.)

(I have a Rhodiana case too -- I feel your pain)
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Datebk4 is so good. I can't believe you didn't keep trying to find the fix for it. They have great support and a good network of users that seem to know everything. (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pimlicodatebk)

Also, there are updates every few weeks that seem to fix all of the problems that come up!

I had a few conflicts with the download version of Datebk4 a few months ago, but after checking the user forums, found out that all were fixed in a new version.

Also, I reported a problem once and had a fix for it the next day!

Someone mentioned that the manual was poorly written. There is another document called the "cookbook" that is in more of a Q/A format and pretty good. http://how.to/datebk-cookbook in HTTP, Doc, or Isilo format

I tried Action Names and thought it was okay. Datebk4 has sooo many more features that I can't live without now.

By the way, someone mentioned icons as a bonus of Action Name, but Datebk4 has them, too!
    Originally posted by Rolando
    By the way, someone mentioned icons as a bonus of Action Name, but Datebk4 has them, too!
    Yes, but you have to clutter your memopad with a stupid list of code to keep them. I've accidentally deleted it twice! AN lets you edit the icons from within the program itself. It looks like you either have to dl a separate DB4 icon editor or know hexadecimal like the back of your hand.

...all that said, DB4 ROCKS!
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    It looks like you either have to dl a separate DB4 icon editor or know hexadecimal like the back of your hand.
    DBiced is a handy little free app to modify the DateBk3 or 4 icons.

If you're using the security feature to hide private records, you can set the DateBk3 memo to Private. This prevents it from being normally displayed and therefore helps keep you from deleting it.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Originally posted by MarkEagle

If you're using the security feature to hide private records, you can set the DateBk3 memo to Private. This prevents it from being normally displayed and therefore helps keep you from deleting it.
    I don't like that the tags are in the memo either. I've also accidentally deleted the tag once or twice (since I use the notes a lot for other things (like notes...l)).

I saw a note from the developer where he says that he's working on a way that will not involve the "tags" in the notes. I look forward to that.
    Originally posted by Rolando

I saw a note from the developer where he says that he's working on a way that will not involve the "tags" in the notes. I look forward to that.
    Hopefully, they'll follow Action Names and integrate the icon editor into the program.
    I just downloaded Action Names. I love it so far! I'm not very good at editing those icons, though!

Anyone have any tips or tricks for using AN?
    Barb,

If you haven't looked at some of these third party add ons go here to Action Names Third Party Links and download at least the ANProxy 1.0 from Mitch Blevins. This allows you to set your hardware buttons to open certain views of Action Names.

Also, here are some of my favorites suggestions:
    1. Be carefull when creating or editing icons because they load based upon the location in the underlying database. That is if you edit an existing icon it will change all of those event icons so you are better off to create a new icon and place it at the end of database.
    2. When upgrading to a newer version of Action Names be certain only to load the prc file and note the icon.pdb file otherwise your edit/created icons are lost.
    3. If your using Outlook as the destop interface be advised that if you chose under the Preferences, Todos & Calls options to "log upon completion" when you've completed a call or a todo it will automatically time stamp in the notes section of Outlook address book. If you don't run Outlook it will still log in a notes field on the Palm Desktop by contact that the item was completed or checked off.
    4. Using the above tip, you can keep track of todo's etc against your own address book entry and thus have a log of all of the stuff that you do that are not necessarily tied to a seperate contac.
    5. Enter a new call, todo or meeting directly from the address book view by first finding the contact then holding the stylus down (over the contact name not the phone #)for a split second and it will pop up a menu option. This will save some steps and see all of the choices on this pop up menu you can beam, attach note, duplicate, delete etc. Real time saver.

Those are my tips!
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast