1.    #1  
    Hi folks,

Can I replace the 2.5 mm audio out jack? And if so, how? It has finally failed beyond tweaking. The 2.5 mm earbud/mic still works for hands-free phone conversations, but I can't get stereo sound out. I plug in any of my 4 different 2.5 mm to 3.5 mm adapters to go with my Sony Walkman style sports earbud headphones, and I get mono, not stereo, and I'm missing half the music, not just combining both L and R feeds into a mono speaker. For a while, it worked fine. Then I had to jiggle the adapter into just the right position and hope for the best. Now it just won't stay put beyond a moment or two of stereo sound. Yes, got another new adapter, no improvement, and the earphones are fine. Since I use this for running and working out, I need it to tolerate at least a little bit of jiggling.

I have long come to suspect that the entire bottom set of ports is defective. The sync cable was buggy right from the start. I went through 3 of them before realizing that it's the phone, not the cable. I solved that one with BT sync. But there are no BT sports headphones for running with my Treo 650, pTunes with mp3's in rain, snow, heat, and cold outdoor weather.

I've had this now exactly 2 years, so there ain't no warranty that will take care of this. What can I do?

-- Josh
    get the motorola S9. made for running and work outs. (coming soon - like a week)

http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/pro...alObjectId=177
    You have two options besides going the Bluetooth route. One is to have the jack repaired, since it is most likely solder connections that have broken and not the actual jack. The other option is to use the Seidio audio out adapter that plugs into the hotsync port. In your situation that may not work since you've said the port no longer works for hotsyncing.

There is a reputable repair guy on eBay, and some other places offer repair services as well.

itsnothere @ eBay
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    What can I do?
    -- Josh
    I would also give the software solution a go, it worked magically for me.

Freedom from Toysoft

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    I would also give the software solution a go, it worked magically for me.

Freedom from Toysoft

cheers
    A freeware application that I believe does basically the same thing is HeadCold.
    There used to be a guy here (nonobeez) who'd repair the 2.5 mm jack and also add a 3.5 mm jack (on the antenna stub). Search around.

This is his web site

http://treotricks.blogspot.com/2006/...ix-part-1.html
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by enynite View Post
    get the motorola S9. made for running and work outs. (coming soon - like a week)

Looks pretty nifty. Just hope the price is reasonable. I would find it hard to replace my $5-$10 Sony Walkman yellow sports earbud headphones with $100-$200 bluetooth ones (that eat batteries every six hours of use, no less).

Any idea what this BT sports earbud headset will cost?
    -- Josh
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    Looks pretty nifty. Just hope the price is reasonable. I would find it hard to replace my $5-$10 Sony Walkman yellow sports earbud headphones with $100-$200 bluetooth ones (that eat batteries every six hours of use, no less).

Any idea what this BT sports earbud headset will cost?
    -- Josh
    $99 - $130. A couple of places are doing pre-orders. its due out early april.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by enynite View Post

Wow, now that I've checked all the specs, this is one heck of a device! I'm usually a "late adopter" of technology, allowing others to work out the glitches before buying. Not this time...

Thanks!
    -- Josh