1.    #1  
    Hey Guys
    I am looking for a good shareware program that is simple for keeping track of reciepts, there is a windows based one called Keep Track 2.1 but i need one for palm os any ideas?
    Palm used to have 'Expense' which was pretty basic but covered most eventualities - and it had a component in Palm Desktop from which you could view and extract data. Now, not so much. I did beam Expense from an older Palm over to my 680, but its really only good as reminder now.

I seem to recall trying other similar programs, but everyone's needs are different. You may wish to do a search for 'expense' or 'receipts' at www.freewarepalm.com and see if any of the results will fit the bill - if you'll pardon the pun.
    I tend to use Splash Money to do so since I can also have it wirelessly sync up to my BoA account. That has worked really well for me. In terms of the other accounts that I have that are not wireless, it just works as well that I can plug in the info and then check it later.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    They also have quicken available which synchs up with the quicken desktop.

http://www.landware.com/pocketquicken/palmos/index.html
    I really miss the Palm "Expense," too. don't want a full-fledged accounting solution -- just something that can export a few days' or weeks' worth of expenses. it shouldn't be that big a deal -- but I sure haven't been able to dig one up.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    I tried this last night -- it's not free (and what I require is pretty modest) but okay, for twelve bucks, sure. not really wanting to spend twenty minutes filling out all the accounts, I thought okay, just export your stuff into a QIF or CSV format for ED to import. this way I figure I can also be reasonably sure that going back and forth between ED and my desktop money application (not Quicken but it can use Quicken format) won't result in corrupt or screwed-up records.

when I tried to import, the menu proposed:

Import CSV exported from
    Adarian ID
    Splash ID
    Turbo Passwords

and two more choices I never heard of. frankly I'm not even really sure what Turbo Passwords is. nevertheless I tried, and ED choked -- it would say, "error reading line 1, do you wish to continue?" and I would select "No" yet it would continue trying to read all 600 lines until I took out the battery.

that kind of makes it 0-for-2. but I'm certainly open to guidance.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfield View Post
    I tried this last night -- it's not free (and what I require is pretty modest) but okay, for twelve bucks, sure. not really wanting to spend twenty minutes filling out all the accounts, I thought okay, just export your stuff into a QIF or CSV format for ED to import. this way I figure I can also be reasonably sure that going back and forth between ED and my desktop money application (not Quicken but it can use Quicken format) won't result in corrupt or screwed-up records.

when I tried to import, the menu proposed:

Import CSV exported from
    Adarian ID
    Splash ID
    Turbo Passwords

and two more choices I never heard of. frankly I'm not even really sure what Turbo Passwords is. nevertheless I tried, and ED choked -- it would say, "error reading line 1, do you wish to continue?" and I would select "No" yet it would continue trying to read all 600 lines until I took out the battery.

that kind of makes it 0-for-2. but I'm certainly open to guidance.
    The only other thing I can think of is just to set up an Excel spreadsheet in Docs 2 Go and do it that way. Docs 2 Go is free with the Palm (it comes on the Install CD).
    Palm V > Palm Tungsten E > Palm Treo 680 (Unlocked GSM) purchased 1-4-07
    -
    My 680 Stats: Firmware-MW01.50; Software: TREO680-1.04-ROW; Hardware: A
    -
    Cellular One / PrimeCo / AT&T Wireless / Sprint / Clingular / AT&T Wireless (Cingular)
    -
    Moto Startac * PrimeCo Qualcomm * Nokia 6400 * Sanyo 4500 * Sanyo 8100 * Nokia 6682 (Unlocked) * Palm Treo 680 (Unlocked)
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperC View Post
    Hey Guys
    I am looking for a good shareware program that is simple for keeping track of reciepts, there is a windows based one called Keep Track 2.1 but i need one for palm os any ideas?

What are your requirements for the sw? There is from simple to extensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Convert View Post
    What are your requirements for the sw? There is from simple to extensive.
    I can't speak for SuperC, but all I'd like is what that little old Palm Expense applet let me do: track expenses among a number of accounts, then let me export it in QIF format to import into my desktop accounting s/w.
    here are the prc files for the palm expense. been using it on my treo for 3 months.
    Attached Files Attached Files
  12.    #12  
    I have started using handy expense, just wondering how does palm expense compare?
    I never used handy expense, so I can't compare the two. Palm expense is free and it does what I want it to do, which is track work expenses. I have full financial tracker as well (Mobisystems Money, Great program also) which I use for everything else. Since peoples needs vary from person to person, it's hard for anyone to answer what program is best. Best answer to get is to do a full NVbackup, then install all of them on your treo and play with all of them for a week or two. Usually by the 3rd day, you realize which one best suits your needs.
    I had Expenses synching to my Palm Desktop (the Treo 680 version installed over the LifeDrive version) for a while, but I had to uninstall it all and do a clean reinstall. I don't have the LifeDrive anymore so I went with the T3's Palm Desktop then installed the Treo's over it. I don't have the Expense conduit any more though! No longer shows up in Palm Desktop, and this is rather annoying. Any way to get it back?
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
    If you spend an extra $4 at Adarian you get an Excel and Word plugin that generates expense reports easily. I used and liked Adarian's program until I went over to the dark side.
    Quote Originally Posted by +Kardboard+ View Post
    I had Expenses synching to my Palm Desktop (the Treo 680 version installed over the LifeDrive version) for a while, but I had to uninstall it all and do a clean reinstall. I don't have the LifeDrive anymore so I went with the T3's Palm Desktop then installed the Treo's over it. I don't have the Expense conduit any more though! No longer shows up in Palm Desktop, and this is rather annoying. Any way to get it back?
    Good question - but the answer would be 'seems unlikely'. Palm seems determined to dump some of its original PDA software that came built into the OS in favour of the user using 3rd party. All very well and good I suppose, if there were all that many 3rd Party companies still building for the PalmOS...

Gone are Expenses, Notes, even Graffiti for all practical purposes.

In the case of Expenses - first they got rid of the Palm Desktop element of Expenses, then they dumped the software itself. My TX still had Expenses, but the Desktop that came with it didn't have a direct way to access it. My 680 had neither.

I guess that's what happens when you simply become a smartphone builder with an eye to only providing hardware/software that increases the wireless company's bottom line.

Meanwhile, I suppose its too much to hope that an earlier Desktop (that still included Expenses) would work on the 680?
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfield View Post
    I can't speak for SuperC, but all I'd like is what that little old Palm Expense applet let me do: track expenses among a number of accounts, then let me export it in QIF format to import into my desktop accounting s/w.
    What desktop accounting s/w are you using?

John