1.    #1  
    I pretty sure the Preferences (Saved and Unsaved) databases on my phone contain records that are no longer current, valid or needed by any app presently loaded on the phone. If I view the preferences using Filez it shows a HUGE number of entries that (a) Look very much like junk (b) Very much like copies of each other (c) Look like left overs of apps I installed, tried and deleted. But how can I be sure what is needed and what is not? I searched and searched these threads but couldn't find any specific tips on how to clean up the preferences. I am sure this is not a new problem and must have been discussed and solved. If anyone can point me to the thread (or threads) that provide some useful tips on How to identify junk entries in the Preferences databases - it would be much appreciated. Thanks
    Satish Joshi
    How to clean it up, and how best to clean it up are two very different subjects.

One way to do it is make a backup of the entire system (NVBackup for me) and then use Resco Explorer, PrefEd, possibly other programs to delete the entries which are Unknown. Once you do that for Saved and Unsaved, do a soft reset, and run through your programs/prefs. There WILL be some programs/prefs that are lost (hidden registrations, prefs that aren't marked with the appropriate app id, etc..) but not too much.

I found on my 650 if I did this a handful of stuff in the Palm Prefs got lost but not significantly, just took a few minutes to poke through and tweak them back. And going through all of my apps I found 5-6 that needed registering again (just put the key back, no biggie).

My Saved Prefs pdb went from 350k down to 160k, I forget the Unsaved Prefs. So I had a lot of junk in there.

Might start using an uninstaller to help keep your prefs clean in the future. I keep saying I want to do it, but I already have enough stuff running, trying to limit anything else.
    with cleanup application u can delete from saved and unsaved and create backups of them incase u delete a needed one

http://www.northglide.com/products.html#Cleanup
    Be very careful deleting saved preferences tagged -none- (in FileZ) or "Unknown" (in RescoExplorer), they could be orphans OR they could belong to the OS...

Of-course a hard-reset cures everything.

- mvk

Game over!
    mvk,

You mean a hard reset does it if you rebuild from scratch, right? From what I've seen, it seems a hard reset and simple restore (hotsync) loads the saved, but not unsaved prefs file.
    Quote Originally Posted by sblanter View Post
    mvk,

You mean a hard reset does it if you rebuild from scratch, right? From what I've seen, it seems a hard reset and simple restore (hotsync) loads the saved, but not unsaved prefs file.
    Yes... of-course. No "point" restoring everything from a back-up after a hard-reset. That would be "pointless".

- mvk
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the quick help guys. I will try out cleanup but it seems to be the best way is - hard reset and re-install one by one all (and only) the apps I need. I was hoping (don't we all love cutting corners) that I could just run Filez, look at the Preference records and delete! Oh, well!
    Satish Joshi
    "Yes... of-course. No "point" restoring everything from a back-up after a hard-reset. That would be "pointless".

- mvk"

Well, I think quite a few on these boards don't realize this, so I thought I'd mention.

Also think I would use something like NVBackup to recover with less hassle . . . .
  9.    #9  
    I tried out cleanup. It did not appear particularly useful (perhaps because it works much better if you had been using uninstall manager all along). Because the entries that I am suspecting most as being junk don't even appear in the Cleanup list - for example - I found 41 records called "asc3" created by "Multimail" which I guess is Versamail. and 11 records called "asc4" created by MMNotify (which again I guess is Versamail). Of these lastnamed 11 5 actually have IDENTICAL content. I checked byte by byte. I don't see why Versamail would need 41 different records. And the funny thing is - apart from playing with it once or twice to make sure it works I don't even use it or plan to use it regularly for email. Similarly there are double digit number of records created by DocsToGo etc. So hard reset and re-install (not restore) is perhaps the best!
    Satish Joshi
    Quote Originally Posted by smjoshi View Post
    So hard reset and re-install (not restore) is perhaps the best!
    If you are *only* interested in cleaning-up the saved preferences file, you could simply delete it and reset the device. That would re-create the saved references file with the default entries and (possibly) some entries for applications initialized at start-up. You can then reconfigure (and enter the reg-codes for) the ones that you use. And don't launch programs that you don't use (Versamail, in your case).

I have around 450 entries in the Saved Preferences file and I used to regularly go over it and try to keep it clean... now-a-days I just don't bother.

- mvk

Last edited by GreenHex; 03/23/2007 at 12:40 AM.
    Game over!