1.    #1  
    Hi All,

I was really excited when I went to purchase my new 680 treo yesterday. Mostly because I was going to get TeleNav (a GPS app). However, as I'm going to order on the TeleNav site, I'm told the Treo needs a GPS Bluetooth receiver (for a mere $99.99) in order for the TeleNav to work.

Does anyone know a way around this? Another app perhaps?

Thanks!

-Patsy
    Sorry, but there is no way around it.
    An app to fill a hardware requirement? Boy that sounds familiar with what I do at work....

Ah well, no, no way around it. Get a Holux 236 for $70, it works great. There might be other options out there, but investigate before buying if you find one cheaper.
  4.    #4  
    Quoteth Alex_Matthews: "An App to fill a hardware requirement?"

Don't be so hasty. It's not that far fetched. To comply with FCC requirements, cell phone carriers decided to integrate GPS technology into cell phone handsets, rather than overhaul the tower network. However the GPS in most cell phones are not like those in your handy GPS receiver. Most cell phones do not allow the user direct access to the GPS data, accurate location determination requires the assistance of the wireless network..."

So I have heard, that if done right, you can get the GPS already in cell phones to work. So...I was just putting it out there to see if anyone had tried it with the Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pmm19 View Post
    Quoteth Alex_Matthews: "An App to fill a hardware requirement?"

Don't be so hasty. It's not that far fetched. To comply with FCC requirements, cell phone carriers decided to integrate GPS technology into cell phone handsets, rather than overhaul the tower network. However the GPS in most cell phones are not like those in your handy GPS receiver. Most cell phones do not allow the user direct access to the GPS data, accurate location determination requires the assistance of the wireless network..."

So I have heard, that if done right, you can get the GPS already in cell phones to work. So...I was just putting it out there to see if anyone had tried it with the Treo.
    You're right. To support e911 there is aGPS support in most cell phones, and the Treo does in fact have this. Unfortunately, the PDA side of the Treo can't access it.
    The GPS in the Treo is for E911, not for accuracy. E911 is basically a little better than guessing based on signal strengths. It's not even aGPS, which requires a real GPS (which means using satellites).

Of course I already knew that. And it's still not useful for much beyond knowing what 200-300 meter area you are in.

Oh, and don't forget you have to have network coverage for the fake GPS in a lot of phones. Of course, Telenav depends on data coverage too, so I suppose they're both out in that case.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    The GPS in the Treo is for E911, not for accuracy. E911 is basically a little better than guessing based on signal strengths. It's not even aGPS, which requires a real GPS (which means using satellites).

Of course I already knew that. And it's still not useful for much beyond knowing what 200-300 meter area you are in.

Oh, and don't forget you have to have network coverage for the fake GPS in a lot of phones. Of course, Telenav depends on data coverage too, so I suppose they're both out in that case.
    Ok, I'm probably wrong about it being aGPS used for e911 service. You're right, tower triangulation is not good enough to provide real GPS functionality.