Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Not sure which forum this belongs in but here it goes;

Has anyone experienced a slow upload speed for emailing an attachment?
    Specifically, it took 12 minutes to upload a 2.7MB attachment on my Treo
    700p Verizon using Snapper Enterprise. Is this normal or to be expected? I don't recall the upload speed on my 650 and I'm sure it was slower but I thought EVDO would have been objectively faster.
    Is this a Snapper thing, or a email/pda issue. I do a lot of emailing from my Treo, particularly large attachments and need a mail app that is the fastest to upload. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
    Just because you have an EVDO phone doesnt mean you will get EVDO coverage... You could of been in an older area that does not have the EVDO service yet. But also note that EVDO has great download speed but upload speed is lacking(Rev A increased upload speed)... With respect to download speeds you can get from 400kbps-1000kpbs+ but for upload you are looking at 100kbps-150kbps. On the older none EVDO you get max uploads at a fraction of that.. So on average to send a 3mb file it should take 3-7 mins depending on your signal and other junk.. BUt if you are downloading a 3mb file it should take less than 1 min at max 2 if you have good signal..
    2.7*1024 / 12*60 = 3.84KBs
    Yeah, that's pretty slow. Make sure your phone screen indicates EV for evdo rather than 1xRTT, but even then you should still get better than 4KBs. Whenever I have a long transfer I place the phone strategically away from other hardware/bodies and near room/building exits, or I hold the phone upright without covering the antenna if I'm somewhere where I should keep it in my hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by RawsonDR View Post
    2.7*1024 / 12*60 = 3.84KBs
    Yeah, that's pretty slow. Make sure your phone screen indicates EV for evdo rather than 1xRTT, but even then you should still get better than 4KBs. Whenever I have a long transfer I place the phone strategically away from other hardware/bodies and near room/building exits, or I hold the phone upright without covering the antenna if I'm somewhere where I should keep it in my hand.
    3.84KB= about 40kbps..... Sprint evdo is rated for 100-150kbps upload.. I test out at 90-100kbps.. But it mainly depends on your area and network traffic. At best he should get about 10KB upload.
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Thanks for the input guys. I was out in my car driving through a few towns that might have had spotty service; I noticed that my signal bars dropped down to 1-2 but I did not think to check if the green EVDO icon was present. I'm going to try a test from my home(where I get great signal) with the same file and see what the results are.
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
    weak sig will definitely slow your speed

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Quote Originally Posted by pmdied View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. I was out in my car driving through a few towns that might have had spotty service; I noticed that my signal bars dropped down to 1-2 but I did not think to check if the green EVDO icon was present. I'm going to try a test from my home(where I get great signal) with the same file and see what the results are.
    EVDO should show a BLUE not green arrow.. Green is 1x data..