Global Posts
    509 Global Posts
    I am using the Treo Wireless Bluetooth Headset with my Treo 680. It pairs up and answer phone calls nicely. The headset icon is also shown.

However, when the Treo 680 has no carrier wireless access, the bluetooth headset emits a beep-beep sound every 10 seconds or so.

Is there a way to stop this beep-beep sound?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    509 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by asiayeah View Post
    I am using the Treo Wireless Bluetooth Headset with my Treo 680. It pairs up and answer phone calls nicely. The headset icon is also shown.

However, when the Treo 680 has no carrier wireless access, the bluetooth headset emits a beep-beep sound every 10 seconds or so.

Thanks.
    I see this in the Palm Support FAQ,

Solution ID: 34432

Treo Wireless Headset makes beeping sound in ear

This article applies to the optional accessory Treo Wireless Headset.

Beeping sounds may come from a number of sources. They may be part of the mobile service/phone indicating that you have a call-waiting or that your mobile phone's battery is low. You will also hear a beeping sound when the Treo Wireless Headset's battery is low.

However, it does not cover my situation that it makes beeping sound in ear, when the phone is out of coverage.

Is there a malfunction on my headset or the phone? Does anyone else experience the same as I do?
    Are your preferences set to make a sound when you are in/out of coverage area?
    I would imagine that would make a difference.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    509 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    Are your preferences set to make a sound when you are in/out of coverage area?
    I would imagine that would make a difference.
    The suggestion makes sense, but that's not my case.

In my Phone Alerts preference, the Coverage in/out is already set to Off.

The beep sound is very frequently that happens every 6 to 7 seconds.

It's vey easy to reproduce, simply pair up the bluetooth headset and turn off the radio on the Treo.

Thanks.
    OK asiayeah,
    I did a test.
    I also have a Treo (basic) BT headset, but I'm using a Sprint 700p.

I have the headset paired and just turned off the radio.

I'm not hearing any sounds on mine.
    Maybe someone else will chime in that has a 680 and the same headset to test.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Just my two cents . . . I don't have the Treo headset, but do I have a 680 and the Jabra BT500 and I do not get any beeps like that when the radio is turned off.

Oh and Turbo . . . like your avatar. GO TIGERS!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickstreo View Post

Oh and Turbo . . . like your avatar. GO TIGERS!
    Tks rickstreo

asiayeah,
    Have you tried Palm tech support and see if they have an explanation on the headset?
    Just a thought.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by asiayeah View Post

Thanks.
    Is it the Palm branded version of the Plantronics 655 that you're using? I'm just curious, because I had that headset, also, and it did exactly what you're describing -- an incessant beeping noise when my phone was out of signal range. I think it's just a built-in function of that particular headset, because I've used about 7 bluetooth headseats on my 680 before I found the one I like the best (Aliph Jawbone) and the Palm-branded version of the 655 is the only one to do that. The Jawbone beeps 3 times any time the headset gets out of range of the phone, or if you turn off bluetooth while the headset is still on, but it stops after the 3-beep warning signal.

I'm thinking that if you don't want that continuous beeping sound when you don't have a signal, you're going to have to change headsets. That said, I hope I'm wrong and that you find a solution! Good luck!
    Global Posts
    509 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristieC View Post
    Is it the Palm branded version of the Plantronics 655 that you're using? I'm just curious, because I had that headset, also, and it did exactly what you're describing -- an incessant beeping noise when my phone was out of signal range. I think it's just a built-in function of that particular headset, because I've used about 7 bluetooth headseats on my 680 before I found the one I like the best (Aliph Jawbone) and the Palm-branded version of the 655 is the only one to do that. The Jawbone beeps 3 times any time the headset gets out of range of the phone, or if you turn off bluetooth while the headset is still on, but it stops after the 3-beep warning signal.

I'm thinking that if you don't want that continuous beeping sound when you don't have a signal, you're going to have to change headsets. That said, I hope I'm wrong and that you find a solution! Good luck!
    I see. So it sounds like I am not alone.

My headset looks like the following one,

http://store.palm.com/product/index....ductId=2419005

The beep-beep sound only happens on the Treo 680, but not on the Treo 650. This is probably due to Treo 680 is now Bluetooth 1.2 and its bluetooth is different to the 650.

Because the headset is Palm branded, I suggest Palm to add a functionality to the Treo 680 to let users turn on or off this beep-beep sound. Or at least the beep-beep sound should not happen so frequently as of now.
    Global Posts
    509 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    Tks rickstreo

asiayeah,
    Have you tried Palm tech support and see if they have an explanation on the headset?
    Just a thought.
    Good Luck
    As usual, their support is not that helpful. (This forum is far more helpful than them.)

They first gave me an instruction to reset the bluetooth headset. The instruction reads like,

1. Press and hold the multifunction button for 3 to 5 seconds
    2. Keep holding until you see a burst of 4 flashes on the blue indicator light.
    3. After the 4 flashes, the indicator light will stop flashing and will remain unlit. This indicates the headset is now turned off.

I cannot follow the instruction, because pressing and holding the multifunction button for 3 to 5 seconds is simply an instruction to turn on the headset! After the flashes, the indicator will continue to flash.

Finally, I send them a FAQ of Palm that shows the headset will emit a beep-beep sound under certain conditions! (Yes, I am educating them back) And here's their reply (still ignoring the problem),

"We understand that you have found an article in our Knowledge Library where the Treo™ Wireless headset makes beeping sound in the ear when it is low in battery or you have a call waiting. However, it does not include that it makes a beeping sound when the phone is out of coverage.

Tony, we would like to inform that we have coordinated this issue with our Level 2 Engineer and we have received a feedback that the headset would normally beep when there is no signal on the phone. This is because if the device is outside the coverage area, it would continue to search for the signal affecting behavior of the headset."