Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Dear all,

I upgraded with great joy from my 650 to the 680 (Unlocked GSM). And at first I thought this would be a great improvement with fewer crashes, much better voice quality and good usability. But in the end this is a smartPHONE and not a PDA and on the phone side it lets me down miserably in recent time:

- While the 680 is generally rock-solid, I had several crashes during a call. Most prominent: Incoming call, I press the green button - dead! Or better: Incoming call, but not responsive to any button. Dead! Also crashed sometimes when I hung up...

- Annoying, but not as worse - sometimes the Treo's reeeally late. Searching a contact for a call, I chose his number and press the Green One. Nothing. Press Center and the "call". Nothing. Try recent call list and re-dial. Nothing. What the ...? And then suddenly, 30 sec. later, the call gets established...

Come on, I can stand some resets some day (after all I owned a 650 ...), but NOT during a call. This is the most prominent feature, and is HAS to be 100% stable. I'm very annoyed and looking forward to the Nokia E90. After 10 years of Palm. Beh!!

Sorry, this had to go ...
    I am not a 680 owner, but something sounds amiss here. . . . that is not normal behavior.

Loose SIM?

Or do you have a software or hardware glitch?
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...22&postcount=5

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    I have only had to reset after getting the "gibberish" otherwise rock solid, Are there any 3rd party conflicts, etc. otherwise take it back, sounds like a bad unit.
    I have a 680 and do not have these problems. Are you using any third party software? Is this happening on a clean treo?
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I'll also chip in and say I've had zero crashes during a call, only crashes I've had is from a known bug in Agendus a 3rd party app. I'd first try a hard reset (get NVBackup or something like that first to quickly perform a backup), and if it still happens it's more then likely a defective phone or sim card issue like Perry already touched on.

I also have an unlocked GSM.
    Treo 600 --> Dell Axim x51v --> Copper 680
    My 680 has been perfect. I think you got a defective device...sometimes there are lemons
    My Treo has been flawless and has only crashed from certain 3rd party apps. What do you have installed?
  8.    #8  
    What's the problem with Agendus (v11.1)which I have installed? How could interfere that with phone calls?

Other than that I have 3rd party apps, but hardly phone related: TomTom, a Dictionary, a document viewer and some games. Also Audio Gateway, but the problems existed even before installing it.
    Hey dukat!

Another thought. . . how did you "upgrade" from your 650 to your new 680? If you did a direct sync to your 650 user id -- issues may have been created from the start.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=129942

As well, software corruption or conflict can occur in any program and affect any other program. . . . . not just the ones you might think would be associated.

Cheers, Perry.
    Crashing during a call is unusual but crashes otherwise are not all that unusual with the 680, no matter how you loaded it up. Further, you really can't tell exactly what application is "causing" a crash. Just because a crash occurs while you are in an app (and shows up with the *377 command) doesn't mean that app "caused the crash, just that the crash occurred while using it. This may be a lemon, but plenty of people have crashes with perfectly good device--using the word "good" advisedly.

I, on the other hand, have had a recent problem, with no additional apps, which is that if I dial a number and let it ring--and I am not sure whether this applies to just speakerphone or any time--it will continue to ring until the screen goes off. Once the screen goes off, it stops (audibly) ringing. But if I press the green phone button (and then the keyguard), it is clear the call was never interrupted, just the sound of the ringing, because the ringing becomes audible again. But it appears as if the phone call ended as soon as the screen times out.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    What's the problem with Agendus (v11.1)which I have installed? How could interfere that with phone calls?
    Sorry I should have been more clear, Agendus 11.1 crashes but not during phone calls (I was saying that the only crashes i got are in Agendus, never during a call) The problem is a known bug if you enable photo view for contacts it might cause the display to crash (it's about 50% of the time for me, enough that I just don't use that feature) I already brought it up with Iambic and they already knew about it. I honestly can't think of any other times the 680 has crashed on me, and never during a call (that would **** me off too) Edit to mention that I'm using the Premiere version of Agendus.

Thread Hijack complete, now back to your regularly scheduled topic

Hope you find the cause / get a replacement for crashing during calls, the 680 is a really good phone imo.
    Last edited by Reapman; 03/22/2007 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Edit to mention that I'm using the Premiere version of Agendus.
    Treo 600 --> Dell Axim x51v --> Copper 680
    mdavis, I experienced a similar problem with my screen going blank when the phone call did not connect within the first few rings. I extended the auto off feature to 1 minute and I haven't experienced the problem since. Sometimes it takes the carrier a little longer to connect the call.
    I'm not sure that's my problem or not...the carrier is still connecting. The connection remains intact, it's just that the ringer stops. But it is still ringing on the other end and it connects. If that's what you're talking about, then that's the same problem. And I am on a new carrier, but I'm not sure this started then or a bit later.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Hey dukat!

Another thought. . . how did you "upgrade" from your 650 to your new 680? If you did a direct sync to your 650 user id -- issues may have been created from the start.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=129942

Cheers, Perry.
    Yes, you're right, I did the lazy upgrade. This might actually a very good point, so I'll try again with a clean one! Hope this'll help!
  15.    #15  
    No, it's different for me I guess. The call is not connecting, as soon as I press the Green One while the phone rings, it dies - completely. VERY annoying. Especially when you're expecting an important call ...
    I found that TealLock caused resets on answering calls...
    dukat -

Did you ever do the upgrade the 'correct' non-lazy way?
  18.    #18  
    So, I did the hard reset with a sad smile on my face. The first thing that came again into view is the ugly standard Font .... Uah, this defintely has to ga again later!
    Now I've been using my phone in virgin mode for a couple of days and - surprise - I didn't get any crash until now. Is this magic? Beginning to re-install all those apllications again. I got my fingers crossed.
  19.    #19  
    And after running some days again, I'm back to the same crashes!! :-( I suspect Fonts4OS5 to be the main offender, as I installed it last. Anybody else had problems with Fonts4OS5?? I'll throw it away and 'll see again ...
    Quote Originally Posted by dukat View Post
    And after running some days again, I'm back to the same crashes!! :-( I suspect Fonts4OS5 to be the main offender, as I installed it last. Anybody else had problems with Fonts4OS5?? I'll throw it away and 'll see again ...
    Hi,

I do use fronts4OS5 and fontsmoother together - fontsmoother is the manager and fonts4OS5 is in the background somehow. I have had resets during calls, but mainly when answering at a rate of about 1/week. I will switch both fonstsmoother ansd fonts4OS5 and see what happens. Might take me a few weeks to prove it one way or the other though.

I did have a worse problem which turned out to be the SIM car being loose in it's cradle (don't know the right work for the slider thing that the SIM card sits in). Someone posted a good fix, which was to put a few layers of tape on the SIM card to thicken it up.

Regards,
    James.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast