1.    #1  
    Has anyone been able to get the exchange activesync update to work on Treo 650?

http://www.palm.com/us/software/eas_update

For some reason they say the update is not supported on Cingular, but if it works ok on an unlocked, then it should work on my Cingular locked model too..

If someone with an unlocked GSM 650 can install it and send the files it updated or something like that?

thanks,
    Lee
    That's a good queston. Why would this not work on a CING 650?
    This works on my Treo 650. I have Firmware 1.71 Software 1.20ENA, and my phone is unlocked.

Before you install this, you need to install Versamail 3.5, which costs $10.

Also, I have a 2400mah battery, so it can take the "always on" GPRS, but I don't think a OEM battery would fair too well with "as items arrive" push option on.
    I think there's a bug or something.

Everytime I get a mail pushed to me, there's always 2 alerts. One saying the push failed, and the other saying new mail, etc.

Other than that everything seem to work.

Does anyone else get that?
  5.    #5  
    I suspect it the reason it won't work is that the installer simply checks for CNG on your firmware, or maybe a firmware revision number. Here is my info:

I purchased both the versamail 3.5 upgrade and the exchange activesync update. versmail 3.5 works fine but the update won't install. says

“Device Not Supported”

“The Exchange ActiveSync update is not supported on this device”

My Treo is a cingular 650
    Firmware 01.51
    Software: Treo650-1b.17-CNG
    Hardware: A

Chenling, do you think you could copy the updated files from your phone (using filez, tealmover etc) and I can try it?

This guy was able to do it, but I think his was a 680 with versamail 3.5.3
    http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?p=1480130

thanks,
    Lee
    Sure, no problem...

It will take some time on my part to figure out what gets installed.

I'll see what I can do.

On another note, it seems that the regular Versamail's rendering of HTML emails are superior over the "stripped" versions that activesync pushes to Versamail. The difference in visual appeal is night and day, where the activsync emails don't embed the links, but creates a separate html link which makes the email look messier.

Anyway, small problem that probably only I care about! Everything else works great now.
    Ok, I extracted the 5 files from my 650 according to that Brighthand thread.

You have an email I can send it to?

When I have more time later, I'll try to reinstall the update to see exactly what was installed, but for now you can BACKUP and try those files from my 650.
  8.    #8  
    great. You can send to lee.murray@mail.com or I think attach zip files to posts here too.

I will give it a shot and post the results.

thanks!
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Make sure you have patched your desktop with the DST fix for Outlook and also do this for your Treo. Otherwise - you may end up with duplicate appointments.

Did any of you get the Versamail update into ROM? Or did you just load it into RAM?

I want it in ROM, but I was hoping someone else had put together one before I attempt it myself.
    Yea, I would think it's a better idea to put it into ROM since it's like 4 megabytes.

I have since removed the activesync account, because for some reason, it keeps wanting to replace the appointments on the other end with the appointments on my phone.

It's pretty annoying, but anyway if it doens't do that it's pretty cool.
    Anyone using this on Cingular Treo's using MediaNet?

Do you get push on MediaNet, or does this need the more expensive PDANet for push delivery?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I have a Cingular Branded 650 (but with ENA ROM), but it is unlocked. I am using it on MediaNet.

Does anyone know if it is possible to just replace whatever is on my device with the one in outlook? I don't want things replaced in my phone, i want it the otherway around!

Oh, by the way, I am using mail2web, I don't know how many people use mail2web AND have a 650 AND using Activesync, but help would be appreciated.
  13.    #13  
    Thanks Alex for the files. I ran a backup with nvbackup and installed the 5 .prc files you sent (attached in zip). It did enable the "as items arrive" option in the auto sync preferences, and seems to be syncing pretty quickly.

But I do get the same Alerts as you do. One says
    "EAS account: Please press the Sync button.
    and the other one I get sometimes saying there was an error synchronizing the accounts.

I wonder if this is an issue with the alert system, or another version of some additional .prc files? There are other threads out there about this, maybe Palm will issue a fix for these.

I am going to try it out for awhile today to see how long my battery lasts with the always-on gprs connection.

After that, I will probably have to restore my backup as the alerts are going to be extremely annoying.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    So, are you using this on a Cingular ROM Treo? And if so, what is the right sequence to install and get running - purchase the two items; run the installers, get the fail the regular way and then add the files in your zip?
  15.    #15  
    Here is what I have/did:

Treo 650
    Firmware 01.51
    Software: Treo650-1b.17-CNG (this is the latest updater from palm)
    Hardware: A

Purchased Versamail 3.5 and upgraded to it (from 3.1)

This works fine for syncing contacts, calendar, and mail, every 5/10/15/30 minutes etc.

I tried to download the EAS update from palm, but when you install the .prc and run it on the palm, it says something like "device not supported"

So I tried to install Chenling's files (installed nvbackup and ran a backup first). It activated the sync "as items arrive" option in the auto sync preferences, but started generating all the alerts (* in the top left of screen)

I went ahead and restored from my nvbackup for now until this alert problem is resolved. Hopefully cingular and palm will work this out. I opened a case with cingular and palm but haven't heard back yet.
    Does doing the change that way also lead to the remote management capabilities EAS is supposed to provide? My company is banking on that as a data loss prevention approach; so hopefully this will work (and allow me to retain access).

One more question - I assume these changes are all in RAM - meaning a hard reset would require a reinstall, right?
    Has anyone with a Cingular phone tried this update http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...Case=Obj(10959)
    ?
    Did anyone get this to work on a Cingular Treo 680 using Versamail 3.5 and EAS? I spent 2 days and 4 phone calls to Palm and have gotten no where. I keep getting the: AirSAMSMEmail.c 2636 1 HTTP /1.1 500 Internal Server Error message. Palm tier 2 tech support said to download and use the Certificate Modification Tool which I downloaded and extracted per their directions and when double-clicking the extracted tool I get an error message and it doesn't even open. I've disabled the SSL so I don't get the cert error I got at first only the above error. When testing the account it "successfully accesses" the server but I get the error when I do a sync. Any thoughts or suggestions? I don't think EAS will work with the Cingular Treo 680 without the update mentioned above but Palm says not to install it.
    Arrggh... I called Cingular, who called Palm, who allegedly said, "this is an emerging issue, but no ETA on a solution." There is a rumor over on howardforums that a PTT (and presumably EAS patch for the 680) to be tested in May.
    Cingular online tech support was even worse and told me that since my Palm (650)was discontinued, not to expect anything.