1.    #1  
    I have TomTom 5 for my Treo 680. I originally had it for my Zire, but transferred it no problem to my Treo.

The TomTom 5 maps came on 8 different CD's, When installing them, I can choose which areas or states to install, based on different configurations (ie, New England, New England+NY, Southeast+MI+TN, etc). You can't pick and choose what maps you want to combine in one large map (at least I can't see any way to do that). So I can't have FL and NJ in the same map, for example - I can load a set of maps that includes FL, and one that includes NJ, but at some point I would have to swtich maps if I was driving from FL to NJ.

So my question is, is there some way to install one large, US map on a CD Card? I currently have two maps installed (one for the southeast, one for the northeast and midatlantic states), but I would love to be able to either combine them, or to install one "USA" map with all states (not subsections).

Does anyone know how to do this with TomTom 5? I don't really want to have to buy TomTom 6, since 5 works great. Thanks.

Chris
    There is not a way to do what you are wanting with TT5. I strongly recommend upgrading to TT6. I have traveled about 1700 miles since upgrading and the upgraded POI's and upgraded maps make it well worth the $50. Plus, I put the entire U.S. on the card.

Agreed, TT5 worked well. But, there's no doubt in my mind, that TT6 is well worth the upgrade.
  3.    #3  
    How do I go about upgrading? Do i have to buy TomTom 6, or is it just an upgrade to my current maps?

Chris
    http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps/index.php?Lid=1
    You can go to the Tomtom web site and upgrade. I believe the upgrade offer runs through the end of the March. You need to have your Nav5 product code. You will get a DVD that includes the maps and Nav6. I believe the maps will work on Nav5 but there are some nice features on the new app that make it worth upgrading.
  5.    #5  
    Hmm...it looks pretty good ($49, free shipping) but it doesn't list the Treo 680 as a compatible device. I would ASSUME it is, since I have TomTom 5 on it, and I have seen posts saying it works.

What extra features does TomTom 6 have?

Chris
    You should probably read through this thread
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=131615
    There is also quite a lot of info posted on Nav6 and Nav5 that you can find by searching on Tomtom. For me, the biggest benefit of Nav6 is the ability to look up POIs without specifying a category.
    If you wanted to stick with TT5, the best you can do is to load all the regional maps (I think there are 6 or 7), which are multi-state, until you've covered the US. Still not all in one map, but better than 50 different maps.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr View Post
    If you wanted to stick with TT5, the best you can do is to load all the regional maps (I think there are 6 or 7), which are multi-state, until you've covered the US. Still not all in one map, but better than 50 different maps.
    I do not know if anyone has done this, but Tomtom's UK site indicates that the new maps can be used with Nav5. (for those devices not compatible with Nav6). If that's the case, then it might be possible to purchase the map upgrade and then use the full US map with Nav5.
  9.    #9  
    But from what people have said, if I buy the new maps for $50, then I get TomTom 6 as well. Is that not the case?
    True, if you already have TT5 and enter the TT5 code when you upgrade. By the way, I recall TT saying the $50 upgrade is temporary, then it goes up to $100+.
    Quote Originally Posted by cjvitek View Post
    But from what people have said, if I buy the new maps for $50, then I get TomTom 6 as well. Is that not the case?
    You will get Nav6 on the DVD along with the new maps. There are some problems with compatibility so if your Treo is not on their list, you might choose to try the maps with Nav5 rather than Nav6. Fixes for some issues are discussed in other related threads.

Tomtom just sent out a notice that their traffic service will no longer work with some older maps:
    Starting Monday, April 16th, users of some older map versions will no longer be able to access our traffic service. Map Versions that no longer support traffic after April 16th, 2007 range from 420.xxxx to 585.xxxx. Please refer to the first three digits of the seven digit map version number.

They also provide the following info on the map upgrade offer:
    Our latest maps of the US and Canada are available on DVD as part of a special promotion at the discount price of $49.95. We encourage you to take advantage of this offer and update your maps. You will have access to more roads, POIs, business and personal addresses, and much more. The promotion ends April 16th, so hurry and order your DVD! After April 16th, you can purchase the map update as an accessory at full price.
    Last edited by jrfaris; 03/23/2007 at 01:08 PM.
  12.    #12  
    Thanks for the suggestions and information. I think I am going to stick with TomTom 5 for a while. While 6 looks like with the features, I don't know if I can justify to the wife spending $50 just to upgrade a program that works fine on my Treo right now.

Chris
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Tell her, that you won't ever get lost again. MY wife has even nick named my tom tom. she repeats her name twice when referencing it and I even have a voice that sounds similar to her's. Besides, you do get TOmTOm 6 and it saves you from having to put up the $100.00 upgrade later, you just saved $50 bucks............
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    For me, the updated maps and poi data easily justify the $50. It's not perfect but at least there's a good chance that the business or restaurant I'm looking for will be listed. I purchased the new maps, Nav6 was just a side benefit.
    Ditto here. I strongly recommend it.
    I have a 680, am not smart enough to understand how to do the fixs so TT6 will work on my 680. Want the new maps because I have had issue with the TT5 maps being out of date due to road constructions. So is anyone running the new maps on TT5?