Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    In order to find much more customer respect. I have decided to drop the palm OS after several years of addiction and live happily without everyday checking the sites/forums to find solutions to the Palm ongoing problems, and zero response from the palm company, leaving me with a feeling that they are satisfied with the quality of their products, accordingly I have decided to switch to iPhone as soon as its launched. Apple Company has already proved a very good history in quality of products and customer service, its enough that they provide continuous updates to their products which proves their responsibility and determination to quality….
    figured there would be a firmware upgrade by the end of this month for the Cingular branded phones. If you remember at the launch, Cingular siad the 680 would PTT capable with an upgrade by the end of the 1st quarter. Looks like they will probably miss that date!
    Hey, you are right about that. But technically, the quarter isn't over till 1201am on Fools Day. So you got time

In terms of customer "respect," Palm is doing nothing worse than any of the other software companies have done. Things are louder here, and much louder in your own world when you consume yourself with checking out sites like TC everyday (I have a lot of room to talk, I am on HoFo, TC, BH, and Mobility Site as I type this). However, you cannot possibly deem a company to be missing the mark when their record of software releases has been that which has not been less than 6months after release unless its an emergency issue. Will Palm patch things, I am pretty sure that they have considering the marketing that has gone into the 680 worldwide. But to think that Apple is better on the customer service end (seriously, you will not only pay them for an update to your iPhone, but do not expect the cycles to be any better than Palm's, they are worse) is not thinking rightly. They have issues just as all others do; whether you visit Apple fan sites and listen to them every day is another thing entirely.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    You want great customer service, Get a Thinkpad..... At least they don't make you stand in line at the stupid store.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    In terms of customer "respect," Palm is doing nothing worse than any of the other software companies have done. ... But to think that Apple is better on the customer service end (seriously, you will not only pay them for an update to your iPhone, but do not expect the cycles to be any better than Palm's, they are worse) is not thinking rightly. They have issues just as all others do; whether you visit Apple fan sites and listen to them every day is another thing entirely.
    And here I was just going to LOL. You hit this exactly on the mark. Sadly, the grass is not greener where it comes to the responsiveness of hardware and OS vendors to customer issues, nor on overall quality testing before product release. In my view, it's not a question so much of whether a given product will have issues... it's a question of whether you trust that vendor to work hard to resolve those issues such that you're willing to live with them until the fix comes.

Just as one could point to Palm's woefully abysmal performance in resolving 700P issues, one could also point to Apple's less than stellar track record resolving iPod problems over time. So, there is no white knight here. It's a question of which of the lesser of evils you can live with.
    Wasn't it the Ipod that made it as difficult as possible for people to deal with the disastrous battery life (deja vu all over again!) of the original units? Iphone is not what I'm looking for. But Samsung's original Palm OS PDAs actually were real trailblazers at the time and I'm looking forward to a competitor like that.
    Just bring back the light function back (sms received, missed calls etc) AND I'LL BUY ANOTHER 3 TREOS 680. Deal?
    This really doesn't belong in a forum about the 680. Can't you just talk about it in a general Palm forum somewhere?
    Palm V > Palm Tungsten E > Palm Treo 680 (Unlocked GSM) purchased 1-4-07
    -
    My 680 Stats: Firmware-MW01.50; Software: TREO680-1.04-ROW; Hardware: A
    -
    Cellular One / PrimeCo / AT&T Wireless / Sprint / Clingular / AT&T Wireless (Cingular)
    -
    Moto Startac * PrimeCo Qualcomm * Nokia 6400 * Sanyo 4500 * Sanyo 8100 * Nokia 6682 (Unlocked) * Palm Treo 680 (Unlocked)
    I'm more of the opinion that the primary reason for the 680's voluminous hate-mail is due to whoever made the decision that the device should carry a 1200 mAh battery. I can't imagine that any engineer was responsible for this.

I know Palm targeted the 680 as a cheap smartphone more for consumers than pros... but loads of us pros bought them as well, with the better shape, no poky aerial, memory, screen and sound quality, along with OS improvements, at half the price it was a no-brainer.

But try running a pro workload on a 680. Mine won't last a full business day, it is dead by 4 pm. The main culprit is push-email, which is IMO pretty much an essential requirement of any smartphone these days. I'm using ChatterMail, and my own company's IMAP servers hanging off my own network (all Macs). Nothing bizarre that'd require the Treo to work especially hard to pick up mail.

The 650 with the exact same application set would last all day and have 30% charge or so left at the end of the day when I put the Treo back on charge. Weekends away either required no push-email or carrying a charger, but I have no problem with that.

The 680 however needs a charger just to get through half the day. I have calibrated batteries, done all sorts of reset-combination voodoo, etc. I've been running Treos since one of the first 600s in the UK, and have upgraded firmware, written apps, etc. so I'm not convinced this is due to my cluelessness

The bottom line is that the 680 has a 1200 mAh battery. This is not enough for the hardware. Firmware will not fix this - Palm's advice regarding turning off power-hungry functionality gives the game away here completely. If you have to turn OFF the functionality you buy the device for, you may as well have a free rubber Nokia that lasts for weeks on a single charge. Turning smartphone functions off to make the battery last a day is not what I bought the device for...

The 680 is actually pretty good quality-wise in other respects (disclaimer - I have a Palm branded sim-free device bought off-plan, as usual). I had one of the first 600s which were beset with OS and app bugs, and went through loads of firmware updates. The 650 had some bugs requiring firmware changes, which still didn't sort out the issues (voice volume / quality) for some users.

So far, the bug regarding the camera that's been patched hits the same weak point on the phone - the battery is simply too small for the feature set.

Anyone here wishing and hoping that Palm's next (if ever) firmware update for the 680 will make it work like a 650 in terms of battery life are dreaming a hopeless dream. The 680 has 33% less battery capacity. Put the batteries side by side, the 650's is nearly twice as thick.

If you want to use a 680 as a cost-effective business tool then you need to either establish a two- or three-battery workflow with rotating charges (annoying) or get an extended battery. Unfortunately, the big fat 2400 mAh battery (that *does* solve any complaints about battery life) sticks out of the back of the 680 and makes it less stylish and heavier. As a business essential I have to live with that - those of you with nice coloured 680s as fashion devices would probably not want to.

Finally, in a long rant of a post... As to Apple producing better kit than Palm... I've been an Apple enthusiast and have been accused of being an evangelist and 'fanboy' before, though I like to think I have a balanced view on platforms. My entire office runs Mac gear and I've invested a lot of money and time in the OS X platform. And I won't be buying an iPhone, certainly not as it's been described so far.

It will be better quality (assembly and materials) - that goes without saying - but will also be significantly more expensive. No keyboard is a stopper for me re: push email - and for most business users as well. Fundamentally though - Apple have gone on record with a statement to the effect that the iPhone will be locked down to third party development. So you can't write your own apps, install stuff, etc. - it's all controlled by Apple. As a matter of principle I'm not interested in this, and the big plus of the Palm platform (the breadth of software available) is immediately lost with the iPhone. So I don't think it's really a direct competitor for Palm.

What Palm need to do is to clarify properly with us all their investment in the Palm OS for their Treos. I will not run Windows on my phone, full stop. I'm with the Treo for the Palm system. If it's being deprecated then I need to know so I can migrate off the platform...
    Ditto
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberface View Post
    I'm more of the opinion that the primary reason for the 680's voluminous hate-mail is due to whoever made the decision that the device should carry a 1200 mAh battery. I can't imagine that any engineer was responsible for this.

The bottom line is that the 680 has a 1200 mAh battery. This is not enough for the hardware.

Anyone here wishing and hoping that Palm's next (if ever) firmware update for the 680 will make it work like a 650 in terms of battery life are dreaming a hopeless dream. The 680 has 33% less battery capacity. Put the batteries side by side, the 650's is nearly twice as thick.
    Finally...some logic prevails.
  11.    #31  
    Running out of patience….

You have to be very lucky to be happy with your 680. Why? Read below:
    I have tried my Treo 680 with my built in Bluetooth car kit results were as follows:
    Paring was ok, only names on the SIM card & favorites were shown on the car screen, sound quality not bad but far from being good.
    At the same time without moving the car, calling the same number I tried another 680 it worked perfectly, sound quality is amazing to the extent that the entire contacts came over the screen (names, numbers & sub numbers-if the name has more than one number-) are shown on the car screen. Both phones are tried after hard rest – no third party applications- & with the same mobile operator -.
    Learning:
    Although the only variable was switching between 2 different 680 handhelds we had different results, which proves that palm can't maintain their quality standards either for hardware or software, which justifies why in most threads you find someone complaining from an issue then you find a reply that the other person is very pleased from the same issue, I can read these replies going back & forth all through the forum.
    I think it's about time for palm to hear us all and trust our judgments and issue the new firmware that covers most complains in this forum. I still don’t understand why palm are pushing out their loyal customers, and until when will they be loyal?

I when you buy anything you should be depending more on the quality of the brand rather than your luck

WHERE IS THE FxxxxxG FIRMWARE UPGRADE…..?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherifelabd View Post

You have to be very lucky to be happy with your 680.
    I guess I'm one of the "lucky" ones. But, even so I would have imagined Palm and/or Cingular to have been a lot more responsive to the real issues you and many others have had.

This phone has been out for some time...it is hardly a "new release" and surely Palm has to be aware of the problems you mention and others.

Camera patches, and OTA backup are wonderful innovations...but how about some real fixes in the form of a sweeping update?
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberface View Post
    .....As a matter of principle I'm not interested in this, and the big plus of the Palm platform (the breadth of software available) is immediately lost with the iPhone. So I don't think it's really a direct competitor for Palm.

What Palm need to do is to clarify properly with us all their investment in the Palm OS for their Treos. I will not run Windows on my phone, full stop. I'm with the Treo for the Palm system. If it's being deprecated then I need to know so I can migrate off the platform...

Wow. Agreed with everything you wrote. Sad that the only people really "interested" in the Palm OS are the loyal consumers and not (seemingly) Palm themselves.

-alf
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12