1.    #1  
    hi, tottaly new to this and in desperate need of help, my treo 650 is not taking or recieving calls!!,
    at the top of the screen it says no service-sos only, and occasionally when i try to fiddle with it it gives a brief message saying sumthing to do with turn radio reciever off
    I've personally encountered that message a few times back when I was with Cingular. One time was when my SIM was either not in the phone or was not making a good connection. The other time was when I plugged in a SIM for another carrier (T-Mobile) when the phone was locked to Cingular.

BTW, to turn the radio on or off, you just hold down the red phone/end button right above the "p" key.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  3.    #3  
    ive been using t mobile ever since ive had the phone (1 year now), never had any problems, but now all off a sudden this!!, just tried what u said about holding the red button but this just switches my phone on and off? help!!!
  4.    #4  
    ive also tried the hard reboot by holding down the red button while depressing the small pinhole butoon near the battery !!!!!
    Did you check the connection on your SIM card? Take it out and make sure the leads look clean. If not, you can lightly rub it with the erasor of a pencil to clean it up. On the 650 there was an issue where the sim didn't make a good contact due to the sim tray. A workaround was to get a business card and cut out a piece the same shape as the sim. Put it between the tray and the sim then put the tray back in. This forces a good connection by pushing the sim up.

If the issue is not due to a connection, then I am not sure what the issue is.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  6.    #6  
    ill give this a go, thanks for your help