Global Posts
    509 Global Posts
    Hi,

After using the Treo 680 for 1 or 2 weeks, I found it's much slower than 650 in switching application.

Switching to Email takes 3 seconds.
    Switching to Blazer takes 5 seconds.

However, a hard-reset will make switching to Email much faster.

Does anyone experience the same? Any solution?

Thanks.

Tony
    Last edited by asiayeah; 03/21/2007 at 07:25 AM.
    What programs do you have installed? Some apps use hede incorrectly causing the system to slow down, as well as installing the wrong combination of apps. Versamail is also known to slow down your treo.
    Switching to Agendus takes 10 seconds. Great. Time to get a coffee.
    Quote Originally Posted by dukat View Post
    Switching to Agendus takes 10 seconds. Great. Time to get a coffee.
    Switching to Chatter - 1 second
    Switching to Blazer - 1.5 seconds
    Switching to LauncherX - 1.5 to 2 seconds
    Switching to PTunes - 2 seconds

Something abnormal is causing your treo slow down.

Agendus is 3rd party.
    Agendus Pro V11 was slow on my 680 so I switched to DateBk6, but it wasn't that slow. It took 3-3 1/2 seconds to come up. But DateBk6 is about 1 sec, same as Phone and DataShield. ZLauncher takes 1 1/2 - 2 sec.

What else is on your 680? Any 3rd party add-ons that might be slowing things down? Have you tried running the freebie PalmInternals and looking at list under hede. That supposed to be what causes the most slowdown. Go to mytreo.net and search for "Inside Your Treo". There are a couple of articles about notifications and cache that might help. Also serach for PalmInternals here and on mytreo.net.

Bob
    Palm IIIc=>Sony Clie T665=>Palm T3=>Palm Treo 680
    Global Posts
    509 Global Posts
    I think I've got some good ideas.

Basically, the Treo 680 switches applications slower than the Treo 650. It is easily noticable if you compare with a Treo 650 side-by-side. I don't understand the technical reasons behind it. Is it due to slower or more memory? Or a patch is needed for this?

I think it's expected for the Email (Versmail) to load 2-3 seconds on the Treo 680. It is the same after I did a hard-reset and followed by setting an IMAP account on it.

Regarding the delay in launching the Blazer, there's another thread on it, http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...d.php?t=135066. After disabling the "Auto-complete" feature, Blazer goes back to launch in 1.5 to 2 seconds.
    Do the search on mytreo.net for "Inside your Treo". One of the articles explains the memory setup. Basically the Treo uses a Non-Volatile Fiel System (NVFS) and although apps and databses reside there, they must be moved to the dynamic cache to be used. That will cause a slowdown on initial launch. The advantage is that you don't lose anything if your battery runs out.

Bob
    Palm IIIc=>Sony Clie T665=>Palm T3=>Palm Treo 680
    Global Posts
    509 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbd View Post
    Do the search on mytreo.net for "Inside your Treo". One of the articles explains the memory setup. Basically the Treo uses a Non-Volatile Fiel System (NVFS) and although apps and databses reside there, they must be moved to the dynamic cache to be used. That will cause a slowdown on initial launch. The advantage is that you don't lose anything if your battery runs out.

Bob
    Thanks.

Yes, it's like a PC reading from a HD before it can launches a program. I think it also depends on how many databases that the program needs to open before it launches.

However, both Treo 650 and 680 uses NVFS, so I wonder why 680 is slower than 650 in terms of launching programs.
    I've been wavering between a Treo680 and E61 for a while. If the Treo had WiFi I would have got one already. I was about to bite the bullet and get a Treo based partly on the fact that it is quicker and more straight forward to do most things.

Can anyone who has used an E61 compare it's speed to the slowing 680s?

Jonathan
    frustratingly undecided