Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Got the latest version of Launcher III ( http://www.benc.hr/lnchiii.htm ). I had been struggling along with version 1.5x but was excited at the possibility of support for 16 shades of gray for my VPL promised in the new version.

Unfortunately, looks like it's going to be advertware. There is an advertisement at the bottom of each tab's contents. Not what I was expecting at all.

Granted, its silly to be disappointed by free (as in beer) software, but I'm not sure I agree with using the term "freeware" when it has advertisements.

Did I miss an option to turn them off?

Anyway, just thought I'd share. Back to lurking.
    (Post deleted due to my own stupidity)
    Last edited by homer; 04/10/2001 at 10:10 PM.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by homer
    This post?:

http://discussion.visorcentral.com/v...threadid=13940

It's still there. RIGHT BELOW this post. Did you mean to post it in the Buy/Sell forum instead?
    Say what? I'm lost as to what you're talking about.
    Yup. I am lost myself.

I finally posted a message to the wrong thread.

Sorry 'bout that!

To put this back on topic, I'll ask if there were any features that really warrant the upgrade. I've been real happy with Launcher III on my visor, but agree with you that ad-ware is really silly on this type of application. The point of using Launcher III is to provide better use of the screen real-estate...not to take it up with ads.

I'd pay for an upgrade if it omitted the ads.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Well, I didn't get far enough to see the ads. It crashed my Prism every time I tried to launch it, and haven't gotten around to looking for conflicts. If there really are ads, maybe I won't bother. I'm currently using the Launc'Em 3 beta (I wonder why it's still beta? It runs on my machine without a hitch) but thought this might be a nice alternative once the beta expires. With an ad, I think I'd rather pay $10 for LaunchEm. BTW, how do they propose to update the ads, or will they just stay there for the life of the software?
    ("ads" only show if there is room. There's only 2 ads. The very last tab show "PalmGear", all other tabs show Bozidar's web page address)

Re: any bugs, crashes; Bozidar has always been very responsive. Also remember it is a dot-0 (.0) version and some bugs will get by the most thorough testing, especially when you go public with such a variety of platforms and environments of other installed software.

-----
    from PalmGear:
    Reviews
    11-Apr-01 by Mike McCollister
    Launcher III 2.0 is great! There some much needed improvements over the previous version. While there are some minor issues that I think should be addressed (such as ability to force Launcher into black and white mode and the bottom line of the icons not being displayed) this is a must have. Note that the advertisements will be displayed if and only if (iff) there is room. If your icons need the space, then the advertisements are not visible. Remember that you are getting use of this software for free while the developer has spent numerous hours on it. Please understand that he needs to be compensated for his hard work. Thanks Bozidar!
    Steve
    "Gort, Klatu verada nictu."
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by ss@rr

-----
    from PalmGear:
    Reviews
    11-Apr-01 by Mike McCollister
    Launcher III 2.0 is great! There some much needed improvements over the previous version. While there are some minor issues that I think should be addressed (such as ability to force Launcher into black and white mode and the bottom line of the icons not being displayed) this is a must have. Note that the advertisements will be displayed if and only if (iff) there is room. If your icons need the space, then the advertisements are not visible. Remember that you are getting use of this software for free while the developer has spent numerous hours on it. Please understand that he needs to be compensated for his hard work. Thanks Bozidar!
    Well, that's not quite true. Here's a quick test for you guys playing at home. Install Launcher III 2.0. Start it up. Now, mine started up with all applications under the Apps tab and I have enough that not all of them were visible at one time in that one tab. But, you'll note that if you press the "scroll down" button on your Palm/Visor or tap the "Down arrow" icon in the lower right corner of the screen (which appears, I believe, only if there are more icons than can be shown on the current tab) then you'll get to see the applications at the end of the list on the Apps tab and...an advertisement!

So the comment above from PalmGear is right in the sense that "if you fill up the tab completely but not so far as to push more applications off the list at the bottom then you'll never see the advertisement"...but that's not a very useful "feature".
    "ads" only show if there is room. There's only 2 ads. The very last tab show "PalmGear", all other tabs show Bozidar's web page address
    OK. I can live with that. It sounds like that the ad is placed on the bottom of the tab, even if you need to scroll to see it. That's a fair trade for good, free software.

So, what ARE the new features beyond the ad?
    -David Byrne
    Ads: true enough, if you have to scroll you'll get an ad. If you just use up the screen (even 1 app into the ad space) then you won't see the ad. BTW - palmgear shows up on my first tab when I set it to 2 columns in order to see the scroll effect.

New features (not necessarily a complete list):
    - you can hide the icons on a tab (all or none); the tab still shows
    - the hammer is gone; individual icons for gadgets; more gadget selections (trash can, beam, info, backlight, contrast, brightness, off, off&lock, security); you can show up to 5
    - individual tab settings (# columns or list)
    - tap the home/launcher silkscreen button repeatedly cycles through the selected tab
    - you can drag an app to the "i" (info) gadget and get a screen of info on the app (much like Z'Catalog)
    - 2 kinds of delete:
    1) drag app to trash can and app + databases/prefs are deleted
    2) tap trash can, delete from list - only app/selected item is deleted, NOT all associated data/prefs
    - you can select your hack manager or doc reader in which case the hacks or docs show on the tabs and will launch the associated hack manager or reader (doc/hack will be selected if the manager/reader supports a certain system call)
    Steve
    "Gort, Klatu verada nictu."
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I upgraded to support the grey scale on my new Platinum.
    I hate the adds, I'm changing back to 1.52.
    It also feels like the refresh rate is not as good as with the previous version.
    When I leave a app, the app icons on launcher take some time to appear on the screen.

Also, I don't like the fact that if I have 4 tabs like I did with 1.52, the last I have to scroll to the righ,t in the top left corner of the launcher to see the fourth tab.
    With 1.52 i saw them all at the same time.
    I was horrified to discover that Launcher III is now adware! I am tired of seeing ads for goodness sakes. The last place I want to see ads is on my PDA. I think this adware for Palm OS app thing is setting a very dangerous precendent. Lets hope that other freeware developers do not go this route. I would rather pay $5 bucks or more for a quality app that see annoying ads.
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by yardie
    I was horrified to discover that Launcher III is now adware! I am tired of seeing ads for goodness sakes. The last place I want to see ads is on my PDA. I think this adware for Palm OS app thing is setting a very dangerous precendent. Lets hope that other freeware developers do not go this route. I would rather pay $5 bucks or more for a quality app that see annoying ads.
    FWIW, someone on USENET got an email back from the developer stating that the next version of Launcher III would come with an option to disable the adverts. No ETA was given. I suspect there is an agreement to leave the current version out for a while with the adverts present.
    Originally posted by Shabadoo
    FWIW, someone on USENET got an email back from the developer stating that the next version of Launcher III would come with an option to disable the adverts. No ETA was given. I suspect there is an agreement to leave the current version out for a while with the adverts present.
    I've seen email from Bozidar Benc, the developer, that said "The next version, which will be available soon, will have an option to turn off ads. ... Launcher III is free, and will always be free."
    I loved Launcher III 1.5 when I had it on my IIIxe. Now that I have the prism, thank god 2.0 is out.

Look folks, they guy develops this and gives it away for free. Why gripe about 1 ad ( and it is only one ad, the other "ad" is for the developer's company. Thats not an ad its called branding. Is the windows logo an "ad"? How about the Mac logo?) for Palm gear - a site you probably visit at least couple times a week.
  16.    #16  
    Originally posted by hamiltondj
    Look folks, they guy develops this and gives it away for free. Why gripe about 1 ad ( and it is only one ad, the other "ad" is for the developer's company. Thats not an ad its called branding. Is the windows logo an "ad"? How about the Mac logo?) for Palm gear - a site you probably visit at least couple times a week.
    Well, FWIW, I don't consider "advertware" and "freeware" to be synonyms. Feel free to disagree.

And no, I don't go to PalmGear. It's slow, error-prone, and generally difficult to navigate. At least it was two months ago when I reminded myself how much I hate going there. VC is the only PDA-related site in my bookmarks.

Hope that clears up why I bothered to say something here about Launcher III 2.0 in the first place.
    While this thread went into hibernation, LauncherIII 2.1 was just released:

New in the version 2.1:

* DOC files didn't open properly. Fixed.
    * LIII allowd deletion of ALL tabs and then crashed. Fixed.
    * The bar beneath the free memory (in K) was not diplayed correctly. Fixed.
    * Banners can be turned off. Find out how! :-)
    * If a device has flash RAM, and FlashPro is installed, and the "Enable API" checkbox is checked in the FlashPro "Preferences", then Launcher III will also display free flash memory, and the letter "F" will be shown infront of the memory display.
    * To find an application quickly, just write its beginning letter and it will
    be shown at the top of the tab.

Just as an FYI, I couldn't download the file from

http://www.benc.hr/lnchiii.htm

using IE5 on a Mac. It seemed to work fine in NN4, though.
    Last edited by homer; 04/27/2001 at 12:56 AM.
    -David Byrne
  18.    #18  
    While this thread went into hibernation, LauncherIII 2.1 was just released:

New in the version 2.1:

* Banners can be turned off. Find out how! :-)
    Well, I'm confused. I just installed it and I don't see any banners. What am I missing?

Also, why do I have to use "force greyscale" now? I thought the previous version would use the 4-bit shades by default on my VPL. Am I doing something hackish (i.e. not completely kosher) by having to force it?

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like it could replace Launch 'Em if it works well enough.
    I'm not sure what he means by turning off the banner, either...they didn't appear at all on mine.

The FORCE grayscale option appears on mine, but then quickly disappears. Apparently I can't use that feature on a VDX?

Anyways, I've been playing with it and like it. It's nice. The only problem I have is that sometimes the UP and DOWN buttons will scroll the tab, and sometimes they bring up the tab options. Not sure why.
    -David Byrne
  20.    #20  

Anyways, I've been playing with it and like it. It's nice. The only problem I have is that sometimes the UP and DOWN buttons will scroll the tab, and sometimes they bring up the tab options. Not sure why.
    I'm seeing that behaviour here as well. Frustrating, no?

Anyway, the only thing I miss now about Launch 'Em beta is having the tabs along the righthand side instead of along the top. :^(

Still good freeware.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast