Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 160
  1.    #1  
    Well....Palm has disappointed many of us 700p owners with lack of support or any sort of maintenance release for the 700p. Heck, call up their tech support even now and they know NOTHING about a firmware update or even any of the many persisting bugs with the device. The device is almost at 1 year now, and about to be discontinued. The only bit of communication we got indicated we would indeed get a firmware update by the end of Q1 2007. That's exactly March 31, 2007, which falls on a Saturday.

    Palm has exactly 2 weeks, that's 10 business days, to release a firmware update to fix all the aforementioned issues with the 700p on this forum and in the letter to Palm from all of us.

    At this point, though, even with a firmware update, and even assuming it fixes every issue we have with the device (which is overly optimistic), it would take a lot.....A LOT.....for me to spend this much money on any Palm device ever again simply due to the lack of support and the effort we had to put forth to even get a peep about these problems out of this company. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

    On that topic, Bob-C, have you had any other communication with Steve Sinclair recently?
  2. #2  
    +1 I am totally with you... A $650 device should have regular updates.. Heck my PS3 has an update every 3-4weeks that fixes problem before they happen along with unlocking new features. Being a long time Palm users for over 10 years I am utterly disgusted with the treo's lack of updates especially since this is my first Palm smart phone but then again I never had high expectations since it took forever to get built in Wi-Fi into the PDA. I personally wont buy another palm product if we dont get an update.


    Also I would like an update for Blazer... Its just pathetic..
  3. Noahas's Avatar
    Posts
    286 Posts
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    #3  
    I'm not sure if this is related, but does anyone have any experience with other makers devices (like HTC, makers of the 6700 & soon to come 6800) on their firmware upgrades and speed to do so when problems occur?

    I'm just wondering if leaving the Palm platform is going from the known to the unknown as far as problems go.
  4. #4  
    Not to pick a fight or anything, but a few threads down is a satisfaction survey, in which 88% of respondents state that they're satisfied with their 700. Deadlines & ultimata like you are advocating just look like a few disgruntled folks who will neve be satisfied, & who complained just as vigorously about every other Treo version.

    I don't think Palm will rush out to make a fix when, ultimately, most folks seem happy.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  5. #5  
    At this point, I really don't care anymore. I'm just waiting for a Blackberry with wifi and I'm done with Palm.
  6. #6  
    According to Dragonman -- Sprint stores have received internal communication that the update would be out in March. . . . .
  7. akula34's Avatar
    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    Well....Palm has disappointed many of us 700p owners with lack of support or any sort of maintenance release for the 700p. Heck, call up their tech support even now and they know NOTHING about a firmware update or even any of the many persisting bugs with the device. The device is almost at 1 year now, and about to be discontinued. The only bit of communication we got indicated we would indeed get a firmware update by the end of Q1 2007. That's exactly March 31, 2007, which falls on a Saturday.

    Palm has exactly 2 weeks, that's 10 business days, to release a firmware update to fix all the aforementioned issues with the 700p on this forum and in the letter to Palm from all of us.

    At this point, though, even with a firmware update, and even assuming it fixes every issue we have with the device (which is overly optimistic), it would take a lot.....A LOT.....for me to spend this much money on any Palm device ever again simply due to the lack of support and the effort we had to put forth to even get a peep about these problems out of this company. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

    On that topic, Bob-C, have you had any other communication with Steve Sinclair recently?
    Or what?? You'll continue to whine like a two year old? Your issues are being addressed... in a linux version of Palm. Your postings have gotten quite annoying to the VAST MAJORITY of users who have their devices working properly. I'm a power user and I have very few problems with mine. And the problems that I due have or due to 3rd Party applications. That's not Palm my friend.

    Enough with your whining. Sell your Treo and let the rest of us use ours in peace.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Or what?? You'll continue to whine like a two year old? Your issues are being addressed... in a linux version of Palm. Your postings have gotten quite annoying to the VAST MAJORITY of users who have their devices working properly. I'm a power user and I have very few problems with mine. And the problems that I due have or due to 3rd Party applications. That's not Palm my friend.

    Enough with your whining. Sell your Treo and let the rest of us use ours in peace.
    Do you have the SMS lockup issue?
  9. akula34's Avatar
    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    #9  
    SMS lockup issue? No... never experienced it that I can remember.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Or what?? You'll continue to whine like a two year old? Your issues are being addressed... in a linux version of Palm. Your postings have gotten quite annoying to the VAST MAJORITY of users who have their devices working properly. I'm a power user and I have very few problems with mine. And the problems that I due have or due to 3rd Party applications. That's not Palm my friend.

    Enough with your whining. Sell your Treo and let the rest of us use ours in peace.
    Now here is an intelligent post. Everybody, really read what this guy posted, really look at the language he uses to present his case against merlyn and compare that to posts by merlyn and you will see how stupid this post is.
  11. #11  
    Okay, let's all take a deep breath.

    Merlyn and others have legitimate issues that have been put forth.

    On the other hand -- it's not March 31st yet.

    I am taking the wait and see approach to see WHEN and WHAT the patch does accomplish.

    Cheers, Perry.
  12. akula34's Avatar
    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnauman View Post
    Now here is an intelligent post. Everybody, really read what this guy posted, really look at the language he uses to present his case against merlyn and compare that to posts by merlyn and you will see how stupid this post is.
    After reading the rest of your posts... I recommend you switching to Cingular when the IPhone come out. You seem like someone who could use an *****-proof device.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  13. richpjr's Avatar
    Posts
    98 Posts
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Or what?? You'll continue to whine like a two year old? Your issues are being addressed... in a linux version of Palm. Your postings have gotten quite annoying to the VAST MAJORITY of users who have their devices working properly. I'm a power user and I have very few problems with mine. And the problems that I due have or due to 3rd Party applications. That's not Palm my friend.

    Enough with your whining. Sell your Treo and let the rest of us use ours in peace.
    What good does a Linux version of Palm do for the current crop of 700p owners? I'm also a "power user" and my phone resets itself 2 or 3 times a day, sometimes when not even being used. After performing a recent hard reset and loading no 3rd party applications, it still happens. I have been too busy to swap it out and think I will just bite the bullet and pay full price for a different smart phone when the next wave comes out. If the whining bothers you so much, why bother reading a post where people with real problems are posting their complaints?
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Okay, let's all take a deep breath.

    Merlyn and others have legitimate issues that have been put forth.

    On the other hand -- it's not March 31st yet.

    I am taking the wait and see approach to see WHEN and WHAT the patch does accomplish.

    Cheers, Perry.
    Yeah lets keep waiting, this phone came out last May!!!! I'd like to be optimistic, but its getting kind of ridiculous now.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryCPA View Post
    Yeah lets keep waiting, this phone came out last May!!!! I'd like to be optimistic, but its getting kind of ridiculous now.
    My point was not about the length of time that this update has taken to get here. . . my point was it is not yet past their stated release date. I stand by my post as written -- in it's entirety.

    Cheers, Perry.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Okay, let's all take a deep breath.

    Merlyn and others have legitimate issues that have been put forth.

    On the other hand -- it's not March 31st yet.

    I am taking the wait and see approach to see WHEN and WHAT the patch does accomplish.

    Cheers, Perry.

    Thanks Perry, I'm not sure Akula34 is understanding is what the rest of us who are disappointed with Palm have pieced together. We pretty much all agree that a device whose retail value is $649 + tax (making it one of the most expensive phones on the market) should have much MUCH stronger support than what Palm has given us. It is a little over 9 months into the product's life cycle and as I said, Palm's technical support still doesn't acknowledge any of the outstanding issues or known bugs with it. It shocks me, it really does, that a company can get away with this kind of lack of support to its users, and it seems like every week I see 2-3 threads from users who've decided to finally give up on Palm forever and get a Blackberry or WM5 device.

    $649 + tax, what else can that buy?
    • 60GB PS3
    • two Nintendo Wiis (which, btw, have only been out for 3-4 months and have seen something like 4 software updates not only fixing any bugs, but adding more features)
    • Mac Mini (and we all know how great Apple's support is, just walk into any apple store to get it, probably a big factor in why the iPhone will do well)
    • six of those Jabra JX-10 headsets (which btw, have had a software update to enhance the DSP functionality of the headset, not to mention I had to pay nearly $100 just to buy one of these so I would have a working BT headset with the 700p, that ups my total cost to $749 + tax retail on a 700p
    • two samsung A900m's at retail, which have seen something like 4-5 software updates to fix various bugs and improve UI speed
    • 6700 which has seen 2 (or 3?) software updated to again improve UI speed and fix bugs, AND add functionality (smart dialer, voice dialing)
    • iPhone, which if my past experience with Apple is any indication, will have excellent support backing it up.


    I'm sure there are many others but the point here is that a device that's $649 + tax, especially in the phone category, should either come working perfectly out of the box, with no outstanding issues, or should be supported far better than what it is.
  17. #17  
    Nice examples, Merlyn. Puts it all into proper perspective.
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
  18. ink883's Avatar
    Posts
    872 Posts
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    #18  
    I agree with Merlyn,
    I have been a big supporter of the treo. In fact, several people I know have bought one because of my praise of the device. Lately, I have stopped recommending the treo and have began looking at other devices for when I am ready to upgrade.

    My biggest complaint is that 700p is suffering performance issues because it seems they have created a single architecture to enable Windows OS the run on the device. One of the reasons I have stayed with the Palm OS is because performance has never been a problem. I have found app switching to be painfully slow, especially when going to the phone app. The shortcuts, no longer feel like a “shortcut.” I understood why the 650 was slower then the 600, and I was willing to trade off some performance and even some initial stability for NVFS. However, in this case, I am gaining no benefit from a unified architecture.

    Based on the letter written by the Palm regarding the update, it seems they will not be able to fix the lag because of the hardware design. In addition, with a new Palm device coming to Sprint, I am worried the 700p will end up being the “slot-processor” of the palm world.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
  19. #19  
    Merlyn,

    The purchase price of the device is actually small compared to the
    contract I almost lost (6 figures) because Palm's bluetooth stack is
    "unfit for ANY particular purpose" (to use the legal vernacular).

    Customer calls as planned - bluetooth stack resets phone and you have
    no record of a missed call, no notification of the call, no nothing. Luckily
    I forced a call to VM and found a message in there. Customer relationship
    saved with no thanks to the fine people at Palm or Sprint.

    As to "akula34" if/when you conduct serious business on your phone you'll run
    square into the problems everyone else does. The bluetooth "reboots" are
    the killer for me. For others, the SMS hangs and wierdness.

    Jim
  20. #20  
    I will say this...I have not had a lot of issues with this phone - a missed call, never tried bt b/c of the horror stories, music skips, etc. But the other day I was in sketchy coverage and the phone became almost completely unresponsive, which to me is unexcusable. I mean, all of the toys on the Treo are fun, but if you can't even get to the phone function...what's up with that?
    <a href="http://www.wapswap.com/">
    <img src="http://wapswap.com/blog/images/logo_only.jpg" border="0"></a>
    built for easy acess
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions