Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Shifting gears a little, what sort of experience has anyone had with the transition from Palm OS to Symbian (as in the e61 or e62, soon to be e61i) or Windows Pocket PC or Smartphone? I feel myself moving on...
    Never underestimate the power of freedom!

Treo 600, 650, 700P and now 755P.
    Sounds like you folks have a thing or two to complain about regarding your Treos.

Any of you ever experience a situation where after you synch with your MS Outlook, your Tasks bog down the PDA to point where it locks up? That's my situation. I sent back 3 Dell Axims because I thought it was a hardware defect. But, all along, it was the Task function screwing up the memory on the PDA. And, now the very same thing is occuring with my Treo which I think is so great in so many other ways.

Can anyone help? I'm quickly going insane!!

Steve
  3.    #103  
    well....5 more business days to go...
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    They can't even post an update for Vista. Sure, there's other methods, but make it simple.
    Don't hold your breath. It's been what - 7 years or so since Windows 2000, and it's still a royal PITA to install Palm's outdated software unless you routinely run with full root access. It only installs for a single user account, splooges the "quick install" desktop icon into the "all users" folder - and then people running in simple "user" mode have an icon that won't let you delete it (actually, even the icon won't show up - you just get the generic Windows non-icon icon).

Palm's been milking us for years, and from the major screwups they've released it seems that they sure didn't put much of that money into testing their devices before release or updating the PIMs or much else. I mean, how on god's green earth could they "miss" testing the NVFS 650 to be sure that it had at least as much functional "RAM" as the 600 it was to replace?!? Madness!! $650.00 for the 700p and it's about 10 months and counting without a firmware fix for even the Bluetooth problem. At least Palm's becoming consistent!

Maybe a buyout is exactly what Palm needs to get some fresh "quality-control" thinking happening there. They bought up Handspring's "swansong 600" 3-1/2 years ago and blew their massive lead by skimping on the 650's RAM, then blew it even more by apparently building the 700p on faulty WinceMob-designed hardware.

A larger and better capitalized company buying Palm will either build and test the new Treos properly, or kill them off so I can finally throw away 10 years of Palm software and go back to a Daytimer and a basic cell phone..
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Unfortunately I was talked into buying a 700p over the 700w couple months ago because a person liked the palm and used the Treos for several years. After having the 700p and playing with it I agree with every issue that has risen. My biggest concern is the BT, and the issue of getting updates out. I am in the software business with one of the largest firm in the world and when a complaint or something does not work from a client, you bet you a** that my firm with jump on it to fix it right away, no horsing around, they emphasis on making the costumer happy so they can watch the money role in.

Yes, Palm needs to listen to everyone here and there that has complained about every issue with the 700p and fix the problem. Unfortunately, when talking with palm themselves, which was like talking to a 2 yr old, and reading the forums here and other sites, I have come to my own conclusion that there will be no updates and that palm os has finally DIED.

Here again, Good old Bill Gates has succeeded once again to capture another realm of market in the world with the smart phones. It looks like that every cell phone maker is now putting all there marbles into Windows Mobile software. I knew I should have gone with the 700w, yes I probably still would have had problems with software and BT, but at least the WM has updates coming out regularly. It may not solve the issue, but it lets you know that they are listening to the complaints and working on the issue. We can’t say that with palm.

Enough of my 2 cents here, but I do have one question for everyone, and it may be a stupid one or something to think about, is there any way in converting from Palm OS to Windows Mobile (without buying a new unit)? And has it been done? Ok, that was two questions.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    3 reasons I didn't go for the W

1. its windows and hate gates. watch the movie pirates of silicon valley. steve jobs is more the personality I like. love his keynotes.

2. the screen 240 vs 320

3. I already have palm apps. I also noticed you don't have the ability of installing apps directly on the phone. you need to use a computer to install them. Is that true?
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    Quote Originally Posted by nptski View Post
    Shifting gears a little, what sort of experience has anyone had with the transition from Palm OS to Symbian (as in the e61 or e62, soon to be e61i) or Windows Pocket PC or Smartphone? I feel myself moving on...

I had an e62-- I thought it was a fantastic device. Flawed, but still pretty brilliant. Major issues I had were the width of it [made for uncomfortable phone calls when held up to the head], the lack of wifi [not a problem in the e61], and the absolutely atrocious calendar [by Palm's standards] and underwhelming contacts section. Sounds like a lot of issues, right? Well, the hardware is fantastic, and the screen and user interface were absolutely outstanding. Crystal clear screen with very sharp text. The interface was elegant. The web browser does a good job compensating for the lack of a touch screen with its innovative navigation system. The battery life is unlike any mobile phone I've ever owned, and rivals that of my Tungsten T|X. It is a very professional, yet hip phone. My guess is that Nokia have worked out the bugs in the new crop of e-models. My only hesitation in switching over would be the relative lack of 3rd party software...

-EWT
    Oh, don't get me wrong, i don't like gates either. I rather see the world of linux os than windows. I can't stand when a person steals an idea to make profit and never once Acknowledge the other person. Never like him. As for your question, sorry could not answer it. I do agree on the part that i can install programs using my 700p without a computer. On the other hand, it would also be nice like adobe to put out a flash product for web browsing. I can't stand going to a site and it requires flash. I hope that the universe browser with encompass this issue.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    you would think the flash plugin would be fairly simple... I think we would have had better luck getting Macromedia to make it vs Adobe.
  10.    #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by e2chris View Post
    you would think the flash plugin would be fairly simple... I think we would have had better luck getting Macromedia to make it vs Adobe.
    Adobe bought Macromedia a couple years ago. There is no more macromedia, only Adobe.
    I watched the Pirates of Silicon Valley & Gates didn't come off so bad. Jobs was more the hyppocrite for acting like he had the moral high ground when Gates stole his OS. As Gates put it something like, "I stole from you just like you stole from Xerox. What difference does it make?" At least Gates makes no qualms about what he did while Jobs was still telling people at the iPhone presentation that Apple invented the mouse! Anyone know who the guy was at Xerox who came up with the idea?!? I doubt Jobs even knows. If he does, he sure as heck has never mentioned him. If you want to feel bad for someone then let it be that guy. He practically invented, "the wheel", of computers and has no legacy in history. He is more deserving than Jobs or Gates.

Let's not overlook that Bill Gates is the largest philantropist in the whole world. He said his goal is to give it all way before dying. Maybe he's trying to buy his soul back but he sure is helping an awful lot of people. The only thing Jobs donates his riches to is sneaker companies.

Anwyay, I don't think your like or dislike of a CEO should be the reason to pick an OS. Neither one has ever helped any of us with anything so what does it really matter? Did Jobs help when everyone's iPod battery reached its EOL a few weeks after the warranty ended? Did Gates go over to anyone's home to push the power button when Windows 95 blue screened? That would be a big NO to both.

BTW, WM6 supports 320x320 & the 750 is going to be upgraded to it.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    That's nice to hear about the 320x320...but <yawn> i'd expect better by now. Why "upgrade" to the same size rez if you're a current 700p owner?
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I know macromedia was bought out. I was saying we would of had a better chance of them releasing a plugin than adobe.

bob I know exactly what your saying. I just like the personality/vibe I get from Jobs. that and I love mac osx brilliant os built on bsd. The os was crap before imo. I think that movie was great to see what happen in that era. I was born in 76 so I didn't witness it first hand.
    I really love that movie too. It's a system admin/computer programmer cult classic. I had never heard about the Apple flag with the skull & crossbones and Jobs telling everyone better to be a pirate than a marine. It really set up the irony at the end when Gates pirated him and he got all upset about being on the other end of it this time.

With all the money Apple makes selling music, I'll bet Jobs doesn't encourage anyone to be a pirate these days, eh?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I called Palm today, the CSR does not know of any update to fix the 700p.

I have Sprint service and their support is not the best, especially the affiliate store near me. I just got off the phone with Sprint and they have no clue about this update.

Instead of a class action lawsuit, I recommend boycotting Palm, do not purchase their products. This is a cheaper method than hiring a attorney to take majority of the $$$ if "we" win the lawsuit. If no one purchased their product it will hit them harder in their pocketbook!
    You can install apps on WM without a pc. WM uses .cab files to install directly from the device.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    for the record: Steve Jobs iPhone keynote says that they "brought the mouse to the market" not that they invented it.

I want a 750 now.... 320px was my hangup. Does the actual device already use 320px capable screen? I knew it was a software implementation, don't know about the hardware.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    wysiwyg, I certainly won't buy any more of their devices - regardless of device OS - if they don't release some sort of a fix for the 700p issues. I refuse to be suckered into paying a company money for something to replace a problematic something from the same company. I stopped recommending Treos in general many months ago.

If no update ever comes, I will switch to what my company would rather I use anyway - a BlackBerry. This is a huge statement for me as I've been using Palm devices for years, from the IIIx to the Treo 300, 600, 650, and now 700p.

Now, if an update does come out and if it fixes all of the complaints people have, Palm will still not be given a clean bill of health by me. They have lost a lot of my trust and will have to regain it. For me to buy another Palm device, the device will ahve to come out, be out for several months, receive an update, and have very few -- and very minor -- known remaining issues after than update. Only then would I consider giving Palm any money towards a new device.
    - Fushigi
    Quote Originally Posted by fushigi View Post
    Now, if an update does come out and if it fixes all of the complaints people have, Palm will still not be given a clean bill of health by me. They have lost a lot of my trust and will have to regain it. For me to buy another Palm device, the device will ahve to come out, be out for several months, receive an update, and have very few -- and very minor -- known remaining issues after than update. Only then would I consider giving Palm any money towards a new device.
    Well said. I have been using Palm products for eight years. I have no significant issues with my 700p other than BT dropping in mid-call in my car sometimes. It sickens me to know that if I did, Palm would not stand by their product. That's what this controversy is really about--Palm's unwillingness to support its NEW device.

My current plan is to keep the 700p until it dies. After this experience, I'm ready to get off the "buy a new device every year" bandwagon and keep this one for 2-3 years. If Palm is still making Treos then, I'll have to consider what's available and what the service is like at that time.
    Palm IIIx>Palm Vx>Palm m515>Tungsten T>Tungsten C>Verizon Treo 650
    ................................StarTAC 7868W>Motorola V710>Verizon Treo 650>Treo 700p>Apple iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    so what's it like 2 or 3 business days now? I like when I "show off" my 700p to people and it takes about 30 full seconds for blazer to open, or when it freezes for a good 10 seconds while acquiring signal. Palm has done very well with this piece of garbage.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast