1.    #1  
    Hi folks,

I'm sure there are dozens of threads out there about stuff like this so I apologize if I'm unnecessarily creating a new one. But here's my issue.

I bought a Treo 700p for my work cell and purchased a Jabra BT350 to go with it. Now, I'm not certain if I have a faulty BT350 or if this is by "design" but the only functionality I can get from the BT350 is call answering and redialing the last number. I cannot initiate calls with the headset (other than last number redial, and even then the call is not routed through the headset) and when I dial using my 700p's keypad/screenpad, I cannot get the call to go through to the Jabra.

I have VoiceDial for my 700p and it would be nice to use it in concert with a BT headset but it's not necessary -- at this point I would be thrilled if I could just dial up a call and then use my headset with it. It's kind of pointless to have a headset that only works when you get an incoming call (although I DO like the vibrating feature). On top of that the sound level is not high enough for me to hear in high-volume situations (I work at racetracks so I need slightly louder volume than normal).

So here's my question -- is this a known defect with the BT350, or a known defect with the 700p's BT stack? In other words, are there BT headsets out there that will let me initiate calls (or even interface with VoiceDial)? And if so, which of the billion or so BT headsets out there do this well?

Thanks, and I apologize again if I'm retreading old ground here...

EDIT: My 700p is a Verizon Wireless phone.
    Last edited by zyllyx; 03/16/2007 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Added cell carrier to post
    Quote Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
    Hi folks,

I'm sure there are dozens of threads out there about stuff like this so I apologize if I'm unnecessarily creating a new one. But here's my issue.

I bought a Treo 700p for my work cell and purchased a Jabra BT350 to go with it. Now, I'm not certain if I have a faulty BT350 or if this is by "design" but the only functionality I can get from the BT350 is call answering and redialing the last number. I cannot initiate calls with the headset (other than last number redial, and even then the call is not routed through the headset) and when I dial using my 700p's keypad/screenpad, I cannot get the call to go through to the Jabra.

I have VoiceDial for my 700p and it would be nice to use it in concert with a BT headset but it's not necessary -- at this point I would be thrilled if I could just dial up a call and then use my headset with it. It's kind of pointless to have a headset that only works when you get an incoming call (although I DO like the vibrating feature). On top of that the sound level is not high enough for me to hear in high-volume situations (I work at racetracks so I need slightly louder volume than normal).

So here's my question -- is this a known defect with the BT350, or a known defect with the 700p's BT stack? In other words, are there BT headsets out there that will let me initiate calls (or even interface with VoiceDial)? And if so, which of the billion or so BT headsets out there do this well?

Thanks, and I apologize again if I'm retreading old ground here...
    9999999999/10000000000 times it's the 700p's defective bluetooth stack. No offense intended or anything, but why does this question even need to be asked anymore?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    9999999999/10000000000 times it's the 700p's defective bluetooth stack. No offense intended or anything, but why does this question even need to be asked anymore?
    Because not everyone that posts here or registers here is a hardened Treo veteran. I myself just purchased this Treo and headset very recently and it is my first smartphone. Thus, I am not as well-versed in the history and lore of the 700p's defects and shortcomings.

Also, I felt like I ought to post something specific to my situation given that I will be the one dropping the coin for a solution (if there is one). Had I had a more generalized question, I'd have relied more on the already-posted threads that exist around here.

Plus, I see a bunch of "this works GREAT with the 700p" type posts that do not address my specific problem. I mean, for the few things the BT350 can actually DO when paired with my 700p, it works fine. But that doesn't solve my problem.
    None of them will allow you to initate calls. There are several that work well with the 700p. To tell you wich one to get, would be like telling you what shirt to wear. They all offer different comfort and functions. Read thru the posts that you mentioned which discuss "This works GREAT with the 700p" and see which fits your needs/concerns the best.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    None of them will allow you to initate calls.
    THAT'S what I needed to know. Quick follow-up -- does that mean that if I dial out on my 700p, I can't transfer the call to the headset on ANY of the available headsets out there?
    THAT'S what I needed to know. Quick follow-up -- does that mean that if I dial out on my 700p, I can't transfer the call to the headset on ANY of the available headsets out there?
    I believe you can do that with any headset. When I initiate a call it is immediately transfered to my LG headset when it's connected.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    zyllyx

Welcome to the world of Treo.

Here are a few pointers and comments regarding your problem. First, I do not know if the Jabra 350 is listed in the supported headset list from Palm... do not fret though if indeed is not listed, that just means that Palm did not get to try out that particular headset with the 700p, not that the headset is 100% incompatible.

My concern is that you in fact can answer calls and audio will get routed to your headset, but cannot make calls succesfully (i.e. use your headset and getting audio). That is definitely not a hardware problem but a BT stack issue. I do get that from time to time even when I am using Palm's own Bluetooth headset (the "chunky" one ). To fix the problem, I have to

• remove the headset form the trusted device list
    • turn off bluetooth
    • remove the Treo battery for reset and put it back (pushing the reset button seems to have no effect on this)
    • turn on Bluetooth
    • re-pair devices

I know it is a pain and I dread every time it happens. But to be clear, your BT headset should behave the exact same way as any other wired headset, in terms of placing calls and receiving calls.

Using voice through your BT headset to start calls is a feature that is certainly not supported out of the box, regardless if your headset is listed as compatible or not. I believe there's one software solution out there that will deliver what you just want, but I fail to remember which one is it. A quick browse in the Treocentral software store should give you an option or two.

So there you have it, it is well known among the Treo 700p users that the BT in the 700p is not the best thing in the world. Lot'sa problems and incompatibilities. Now that you have this piece of knowledge, go forth and spread the word.

Try to enjoy the other ammenities your Treo delivers, however...
    bottom line is it is your treo. some headsets are fully compatible & some are not. all these headsets work 200 % better with other phones. some headsets will not automatically connect to to the treo on outbound or inbound calls. this is the treo's fault. some headsets have poor volume. some headsets connect fine & have good volume but every now & then will not connect to the treo (soft reset fixes this for me). it is hit & miss. best thing to do is search for the headset in question & see what others think. also I know of a few on palms approved list that do NOT work fully with the treo. go figure! good luck. ps I use the jabra jx10 & it works pretty well.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    My concern is that you in fact can answer calls and audio will get routed to your headset, but cannot make calls succesfully (i.e. use your headset and getting audio). That is definitely not a hardware problem but a BT stack issue.
    So, in other words, it's a fundamental problem with the phone's software, and not with the Jabra? If that's so, then buying another new Bluetooth headset would be pointless.

The BT350 is certainly on the compatibility list with the phone, so I'm hesitant to buy anything else with the knowledge that it's highly likely that my new, say, $100 Motorola H700 will perform exactly like my Jabra.

I DO love my Treo -- synching with BT using MissingSync on my Mac is a pleasure and it's nice to carry my electronic rolodex with me -- but I'm thisclose to just getting a wired headset and resigning myself to looking stupid unless I can get some good odds on finding a Bluetooth one that won't have me taking it back the day after I buy it...
    zyllyx, the general rule is that when you see the bluetooth icon become a faded blue headset icon on the treo, it means the Treo knows your headset is there, and if a call comes in or if you initiate a call from the treo, it automatically transfers it to the bt headset and that faded bt headset icon becomes a darkened bt headset icon. The only times it will not work is usually when you have turned bluetooth off, then back on. The phone thinks it's transferred an incoming or outgoing call to the headset, but it hasn't due to the buggy bluetooth stack. To fix this, just soft reset (trip the reset pin underneath the battery cover).

NOTE: if this is happening to you, then everytime you manually turn bluetooth off then on again and reconnect the headset, you will need to soft reset before it works.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    None of them will allow you to initate calls.
    The JX-10 can initiate a call by pressing and holding the answer button, but it will only dial the last number previously dialed by the 700p.
    So, in other words, it's a fundamental problem with the phone's software, and not with the Jabra? If that's so, then buying another new Bluetooth headset would be pointless.
    Read around some people have reported great success with certain models. But then 50 other people say they've had bad luck with the same model. It's too bad really.

I've never had very good success with power-vision via the laptop bluetooth either.
    But tethered USB connections are awesome (via USBmodem) and I've had to stay tethered for the headset too...

Gary
    Last edited by garylapointe; 03/17/2007 at 10:39 AM.
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Well, with your answer and the fact the headset is supported by Palm, this leaves no doubt that is the Palm mis-behaving.

To take the headset out of the picture, have you used it with your PC? does it work fine for, say, Skype?

Can a friend or coworker let you try another Headset with your phone? That would help get a wider picture. MOst likely is the Treo but one cannot jump to conclusions too soon even when everything seems to follow the well known BT-suck-in-700p pattern

IF anything, try the unpairing your headset and soft resets to see what happens. If you get consistent problems definitely your phone does not want to play nice.

In terms of alternatives, I personally have the Palm Bluetooth Headset and so far it is working 95% of the time. Others report great results with Jabra JX10. I do hope however your 350 works...