Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How can go2 locate you and list movie theatres in the area you are in and other mapping software can't? Couldn't the same technology go2 uses be implemented in something like googlemaps for example?
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l View Post
    How can go2 locate you and list movie theatres in the area you are in and other mapping software can't? Couldn't the same technology go2 uses be implemented in something like googlemaps for example?
    You ask as if everyone here all ready accepts that go2 can locate you. I've either missed something or it cannot, so please explain why you think go2 locates you without you initially entering your locale.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    lol yup go2 knows where you are. Do the magic beans work also? There has to be a cookie with his zip in it. clear your cache and cookies then see if go2 can still do this.
    If I could know then, what I know now.
  4.    #4  
    if you allow go2 to locate you even after clearing cache it will. I think it is based on tower I'd so it is not a pin point location it is an area location. this would be great for googlemaps wouldn't it?
    Treoing & Loving it
  5.    #5  
    from go2 "With your permission, this application may obtain your handset location to be used throughout the application for your convenience. Your location is derived from nearest cell tower positions, with typical accuracy of 0.5 to 6 miles and 2 mile average accuracy"
    Treoing & Loving it
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    When I went to go2 it asks me to manually enter a starting point. How did you navigate to the page you are talking about?
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
  7.    #7  
    on the go2 main page I have a locate me option which is pretty accurate in my area
    Treoing & Loving it
    Where do I get 'go2' ?
  9.    #9  
    wap.go2.com/
    that's what I use.
    Treoing & Loving it
    from go2 "With your permission, this application may obtain your handset location to be used throughout the application for your convenience. Your location is derived from nearest cell tower positions, with typical accuracy of 0.5 to 6 miles and 2 mile average accuracy"
    It really wants me to put in something identifying to figure out where I am. I tried my 700p with blazer, eudora web and opera mini.

Handheld browsing would be some much better if everything could figure out approximately where I am. Sometimes these things want my Zip Code and I don't know what town I'm in let alone the zip!

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by garylapointe View Post
    It really wants me to put in something identifying to figure out where I am. I tried my 700p with blazer, eudora web and opera mini.

Handheld browsing would be some much better if everything could figure out approximately where I am. Sometimes these things want my Zip Code and I don't know what town I'm in let alone the zip!

Gary
    Thats odd because i don't remeber ever setting this up, i went to the webpage and started using it, but i has been a while and i may have set it up. In either case, if I had registered I would have entered my home Zip and the other day Iwas in a different town and it picked up the location and gave me listing for movies near the location i was at.
    Treoing & Loving it
    Man, April fools is coming early this year. You got me too gt5l
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I'd love to know where that quote came from.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
    I'd love to know where that quote came from.
    well, see attached picture showing the locate me pref, and in the help section there it displays the disclaimer i shared with you guys. FWIW I have a Sprint 700p. The address it is showing is where I am now, not home so it is not a pre-entered address, it just locates me i don't know what to tell you guys.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Treoing & Loving it
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Interesting. Mine says "1 Saved Start Points, 2 Zip Code, ..." Logged in or not, I never get "Locate Me" as an option. Sprint 700p here too.
    Last edited by martinp13; 03/19/2007 at 04:34 PM.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    That is interesting. You know you get a lot more reading room if you take off the address bar. Just hot key goto or hit the globe to enter a url. just a suggestion.
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    I've love to know how you get the "Locate Me" option to appear. I was guessing that you'd at least have to set the "Location ON" preference in the Phone Preferences, but even that hasn't helped. Still that rather wide range of accuracy (0.5 miles to 6 miles) would be why I wouldn't ever want to use it (over my GPS unit) for directions.

Even if it brought up your vicinity in Google Maps, you'd still have to figure out where you were and re-center. Also, there's no mention of how frequently it can update your location.
  18.    #18  
    e2chris, I usually have the address bar off, I turned it on for the skeptics. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Yes it is not as good as gps but for those of us without a gps receiver this is a great option. as I have always said, the treo should have built in location finding capabilities.
    Treoing & Loving it
    Very cool. Could be something that's put on trial in select areas first, although I was under the impression that location based services was commonplace for even standard phones now (never knew why not the Treos).

My guess is it's location based (no pun intended). gt5l, what happens when you dial ##4771# on your Treo?
  20.    #20  
    nothing happens when I dial ##4771#, what is supposed to happen?
    Treoing & Loving it
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast