1.    #1  
    I tried to follow the directions for Mac users.
    I took the playlist and dragged it to "send to handheld" box.
    Then I synced.
    Nothing went to my Treo.
    I tried it twice now. What am I doing wrong?
  2.    #2  
    bump!
    someone? Anyone?
    I sync iTunes to the Treo via Missing Sync. Works great.

Never tried just dragging it over. Might be an ACC/protection issue. Did you try moving over any non iTunes purchased MP3s?
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    I'm with Ohmster. Use Missing Sync and it works a treat!
    Palm IIIx > m505 > Tungsten T > T5 > Red BlackBerry Pearl 8110 (only device work IT will allow!)
  5.    #5  
    That just aggravates me that I have to by something to get this to sync.
    Not happy!
    All my iTunes are just cd's that i have burned into iTunes. I am a new mackie and I have yet to buy any music from iTunes store.
    Is there another program I should use besides iTunes?
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I don't have a Mac, but people who have a Windows PC might find this helpful.

I use my Treo for Podcasting as follows: I use iTunes, together with a product called SyncBackSE (http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/sbse.html), to synchronize specific folders of my iTunes library with my SD card. If you don't have iTunes, you should be able to do the same thing with other podcatchers (e.g., Juice).

I have iTunes set to download podcasts automatically, and SyncBackSE set to synchronize automatically whenever I insert the SD card into my card reader.

This works great, and could be used similarly with music folders in iTunes to synchronize those automatically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaisermo View Post
    That just aggravates me that I have to by something to get this to sync.
    Not happy!
    All my iTunes are just cd's that i have burned into iTunes. I am a new mackie and I have yet to buy any music from iTunes store.
    Is there another program I should use besides iTunes?
    In that case, just copy the MP3s directly to your SD card. I tried this for my wife, and it works...
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    Make sure to imort music as MP3. Default is Apple's codec.
    I was going to say that. If they've been imported as AAC files, the version of pTunes that came with the 700p won't play it. You'll either have to upgrade pTunes (not a bad idea, although, I haven't yet) or reimport/convert the files to mp3. After that, it should work great. When I was demoing the new version, it synced great, although, slowly, over the hotsync cable. I think it's much quicker through a card reader.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I'm a mac user. All I do is rip CD's in mp3, then drag and drop tracks from my library to the SD card using a card reader. Works a treat.

I couldn't get audio books to play on my Treo because of licensing issues.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    I've been thinking of reripping everything as mp3s. Ringtone managers won't read AACs. Although, with AACs, you can upload the file to the Treo and not even use ringtone managers. I MIGHT go that route. Either pay $30 for Ringo Pro, or $30 for Quicktime Pro. I'll get more use out of QP, I think, and I can keep my AACs, although, I'd have to purchase pTunes Deluxe.

Grr, why can't everything be simple.
    No need to re-rip all your CDs as MP3s. I ripped all of mine as lossless AACs and then backed-up them all up to data DVDs (if you have enough disk space you could just back them up online). Then I changed the iTunes preferences to MP3s, selected all the files in my library, and selected a menu option (I forget which one now ... perhaps on the Edit menu?) to covert everything to MP3s. It worked like a charm, although it took a day or so of CPU time to convert the tracks from my 200 CDs.

But, like many other Windows+Treo users, I would like a nicer method to transfer selected MP3 files (especially using the playlist mechanism) to pTunes. I know that there are some mechanisms using WMP, but they require multiple operational steps each time you want to do this.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jae_63 View Post
    No need to re-rip all your CDs as MP3s. I ripped all of mine as lossless AACs and then backed-up them all up to data DVDs (if you have enough disk space you could just back them up online). Then I changed the iTunes preferences to MP3s, selected all the files in my library, and selected a menu option (I forget which one now ... perhaps on the Edit menu?) to covert everything to MP3s. It worked like a charm, although it took a day or so of CPU time to convert the tracks from my 200 CDs.

But, like many other Windows+Treo users, I would like a nicer method to transfer selected MP3 files (especially using the playlist mechanism) to pTunes. I know that there are some mechanisms using WMP, but they require multiple operational steps each time you want to do this.
    The problem is that converting from one lossless format to another degrades the sound quality. I guess it depends on how picky one is about those things.
    Quote Originally Posted by richpjr View Post
    The problem is that converting from one lossless format to another degrades the sound quality. I guess it depends on how picky one is about those things.
    Nope ... I ripped in lossless AAC, and converted to (lossy) MP3. So in principle my MP3s should be of exactly the same quality as if I ripped MP3s directly from the CDs.

You're right that converting one lossy format to another lossy format will degrade quality.
    That's why I suggested reripping, since they are now in AAC, not Apple Lossless.

With Windows, I used to just use a card reader and move them over that way. Not quite as elegant and easy, but, worked pretty good.
    There is no such thing as lossless compression. That said, some compression schemes sound better than others. MP3's sound like ***. AAC's, Apple lossless, etc. are better but still lossy.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jae_63 View Post
    Nope ... I ripped in lossless AAC, and converted to (lossy) MP3. So in principle my MP3s should be of exactly the same quality as if I ripped MP3s directly from the CDs.

You're right that converting one lossy format to another lossy format will degrade quality.
    Ah, missed the lossless part. That is how I have everything - lossless master and either MP3 or ACC for my iPod.
    Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon View Post
    There is no such thing as lossless compression. That said, some compression schemes sound better than others. MP3's sound like ***. AAC's, Apple lossless, etc. are better but still lossy.
    Lossless = lossless.

Forgetting about music in particular for a while, if you take a data file and compress it using gzip or Winzip (or many others), and then uncompress it, you'll get exactly the same data file that you had originally. Thus gzip and Winzip are examples of lossless compression.

BTW, in my earlier postings I made a terminology error. I ripped my CDs using Apple lossless, not "lossless AAC." I don't believe that the latter exists; see:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Lossless