Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Hi guys.
    I am a die-hard 650 poweruser. I have a lot of great apps on my 650 that I've used for years on other Palm organizers.

My 650 is getting beat up and I'd love to have 700p's high-speed internet but remember all of the stability issues the 700p's firmware was having.

Are these problems still happening? I haven't seen much in terms of firmware updates, but may have missed something.

Can someone tell me how stable their 700p's are?
    ~Steve
    Get @ me
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    They are as stable as they were since release date

What I have personally been suggesting other Treocentral users that have the same question as you, is to wait a couple of months until the ROM update gets released. Then let the "power users" (as Palm defines us) play with the update and make a veredict on it. If the ROM does not address the key items as we all expect, then it is a matter of serious consideration changing platforms completely (I personally eye an HTC phone)

And what are the problems? Here's the short list:

• Bluetooth is a joke. Paired devices get un-paired, car kits don't work properly, you need to pair devices several times to get it right, etc.
    • Audio skips/stutters. Playing audio files with Ptunes and other audio players causes random skips and stuttering. Annoying to say the least
    • Lag. The phone LAAAAAAAGS. If in a marginal coverage area, it can take seconds (10-30) before the phone becomes responsive. Switching apps takes not forever but you can feel the lag (specially after coming from a 600 like me! I mean, my 600 was more responsive!)

So that's my 2.5 cents April seems to be the realistic timeframe when we will have the ROM update.
    Other threads that relate:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=138766
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=138567

Hi Steve!

Also, if you can hang on -- supposedly a new device is coming to Sprint in June as the 700P at Sprint has supposedly been listed as End of Life for May at Sprint and this rumored 755 is to take it's place. http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=138521

The 700P ROM fix is supposed to be out this month. So two more months would give you much additional data to make your decision with. . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 03/15/2007 at 01:43 PM.
    Hi guys,

I'm in the exact same boat. I've had my 650 since Jan of 05, and have been itching to upgrade since the 700p first came out. I'm also a power user with a custom ROM and 50+ 3rd party apps. I could really use the extra memory and EVDO on Sprint. Once I started hearing about the lag, BT, and audio stutter issues, I decided to wait (for what I thought would be a few months) for the first ROM update before making my move. Guess not!

At any rate, I'm kind of glad I waited now because I'm curious about this new device and what it might have over and above the 700p. At the same time though, I could care less about an internal antenna. I've also spent a small fortune on SD cards, and do NOT want to move to mini SD. I also keep my 650 in a hard magnesium case and like the easy accessibility of the SD slot on top of the Treo.

If the 700p ROM update fixes the current issues some are experiencing, and if the new Sherlock/755p isn't that much of an improvement, you can bet I will be picking up a 700p on the cheap. I'm also hoping this new update will allow for custom ROM creation. I can't imagine having to look at that stupid GetBC icon again living with the knowledge that even a sliver of my phones ROM is occupied by force-fed advertising. That really annoys me.
    Steve, my 700p is infinitely more stable then my old 650. I still get crashes, and I do experience the lag sometimes jumping between apps, but overall I'm a happy camper. I started using Hobbyist Software's Reset Doctor to protect against really bad crashes (I know, I shouldnt HAVE to use something like that!). For me, the bluetooth connection to my Acura has been rock-solid. I have never experienced the audio problems that many have reported.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    thanks for the feedback guys.

I think I'm going to hang out for a while and wait.

You know what my fear of all this is?? Well, ever since Palmone announced that it would be making a Treo for the Windows platform, I've been preparing for the reality that the Palm OS will start to phaze out, allowing the Windows-based handhelds to dominate the market.

Microsoft has done it in the past with other technologies and with the smartphone segment growing every year, its only a matter of time I'm affraid until Microsoft tries to acquire and assimilate our favorite pda OS.

Lets face it. The Treo is one of the best selling handhelds in the history of pda technology and I find it odd that Palmone STILL has yet to make a firmware update. The issue can't be technical....its political. Microsoft doesn't want there to be any additional updates.....they want their own OS to be supported.

....I'm scared..... I'm scared for the continued health of the OS I've come to love and build my life around. Changing platforms now would be like moving to Canada....great place to be, but not quite home.
    ~Steve
    Get @ me
    Quote Originally Posted by hypesteve View Post
    thanks for the feedback guys.

I think I'm going to hang out for a while and wait.

You know what my fear of all this is?? Well, ever since Palmone announced that it would be making a Treo for the Windows platform, I've been preparing for the reality that the Palm OS will start to phaze out, allowing the Windows-based handhelds to dominate the market.

Microsoft has done it in the past with other technologies and with the smartphone segment growing every year, its only a matter of time I'm affraid until Microsoft tries to acquire and assimilate our favorite pda OS.

Lets face it. The Treo is one of the best selling handhelds in the history of pda technology and I find it odd that Palmone STILL has yet to make a firmware update. The issue can't be technical....its political. Microsoft doesn't want there to be any additional updates.....they want their own OS to be supported.

....I'm scared..... I'm scared for the continued health of the OS I've come to love and build my life around. Changing platforms now would be like moving to Canada....great place to be, but not quite home.
    Hey Steve!

I hear you, but it would also be interesting to know how many 700Ps are being sold vs. the 700w/wx. There is a 10 year base of PalmOS users and 3rd party software providers out there -- I can't see Palm walking away from that. A Palm/Linux OS -- yes, but not a walk away. If Palm ruins my ability to migrate my PalmOS library of software forward -- then I am free to pick ANY Windows Mobile device -- not just one provided by Palm -- or the iPhone. . . or the. . . . .

You get my drift. . . . . I cannot see them doing a walk away from the PalmOS community. If they do -- they will deserve the results.

The rumored 755p on Sprint, in my mind, will not be the Palm/LinuxOS. I see that as another 6 to 9 months down the road. But ya never know, they could surprise us all.

But, I also see, that whenever the Palm/Linux device gets here -- it had better be great. If it is middle of the road or less -- I'm afraid it will be too little, too late.

Cheers, Perry.
    I'd wait for the 755p or at least the 700p firmware update. I'd bet the 755p will basically be a firmware updated 700p with some extra add on features. Kind of like 700wx to the 700w.

BTW Perry, from Hawkins interview in the General Forum, his explanation concerning Palm buying back Garnet seems to allude to dropping any Linux plans IMO.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Hey Bob!

Well, if they found a way to make Garnet multi-task and implement current and future phone and multi-media capabilities -- then they certainly would not need Linux . . . . . but making FrankenGarnet sing and dance like Fred Astaire would be a truly amazing feat. . . . . .
    Haha. Very true Perry. Especially considering that they couldn't even make Cobalt get out of bed, let alone dance! Palm/Linux is really the only logical next step going forward. I just hope it happens this year. Too long of a delay, or less than a perfect product will only make it harder for people to hang on to the Palm platform.

Personally, I have too much invested to EVER give up. Not to mention that despite hours playing with Windows Mobile I still don't like it. The iPhone looks interesting, but I can already do almost everything it can on my 650 (and more in some cases) and I can do it all faster with one-handed navigation. Who really wants a flat non-touch responsive keyboard with fingerprints smeared all over it anyway?
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Wait whatever you do. I am done, 700P should be a great solution but the lag/freeze causes too much frustration, lost calls, and other issues and there has been far more than enough time to fix it.

I am going to look at the VX6700 and if it not a viable solution, the Dash seems like something that makes some sense. I have had it with Palm, I have been stupidly loyal and for what? Palm is in no position to lose a customer but they have. No news, no acknowledgement of a serious problem, and no fixes, what in the world am I doing this for? To save a couple of hundred buck in early termination fees and a phone that is seriously problematic? I see posts that say everything is peachy and that's simply bull! I use this device far more than the average and it is slow and buggy and no one can fix it. Deleting a few 3rd party apps that comprise a lot of the reason I bought a device like this is hardly a solution.

See ya' Palm...
    Never underestimate the power of freedom!

Treo 600, 650, 700P and now 755P.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Well, this weekend I made the switch from my 650 (after 2 years 3 months) to a 700p I bought here from fkpalm. Sold my Treo 650 on ebay in a couple hours, and kept the one I bought from Perry since it was in better condition. Anyway, I love the 700p so far. It does have some lag, and at times if I'm not patient, I'll end up somewhere I don't want to be from multiple screen taps. BUT, battery life with the Seidio 2400mAh actually seems to be better than it was on my 650. Power Vision is awesome. Forced roaming and data roaming on Verizon is awesome. My Jabra BT125 doesn't sound quite as good as it did with my 650, but it works better. The 700p will maintain a bluetooth connection with the headset AND a GPS receiver at the same time. Can only use one at a time, but this is an improvement over the 650. LOTS MORE MEMORY!!!!!! Stability actually seems to be just as good, if not better, and I did a partial restore (no system files except for preferences) from SD Card. I'm glad I made the switch. I do prefer the old key layout, but I'm already getting used to the new one.
    I probably qualify for a free upgrade from a 650 to a 700p via Sprint's insurance since my 'p' key has recently become unreliable. My 2-year anniversary with Sprint is this September for new equipment, but I just signed a new 2-year-contract this week to add a Moto Q for my wife.

Pros of trying to make this switch:
    * get rid of this annoying keyboard problem
    * lots more memory on 700p so hopefully I won't need to spend so much time 'maintaining' my Treo's memory (deleting photos, emails, judicious planning of Zlauncher shortcuts, etc.)
    * higher bandwidth would be nice, but I'm not sure I'd have time to play with ORB, etc.
    * sufficient RAM for Java and Opera in additional to all the apps I use now
    * if a new phone comes out this fall (e.g., the 755p) then I can get that for cheap from Sprint, and get a better Ebay price for my 700p than for a 650.

Cons:
    * extra $15/month for PowerVision
    * reported lags
    * SAG probably doesn't work on the 700p (I never got it to work on the 650 since my Jensen stereo headset broke 10 minutes after I opened the box)

Anything else that I'm overlooking?

TIA ...
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    unless you NEED evdo, dont do it. my 650 ran way better than my 700p
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Hi guys.
    I am a die-hard 650 poweruser.
    Might I suggest that you also become a die-hard PowerReader of this forum, Steve. (It looks like you already have )

IF the firmware update ever sees the light of day and IF it actually fixes anything we consider to be wrong with the 700P, then, and only then, would I recommend buying a 700P. You really have to be a poweruser of the 700P to put up with it's inherent BS, but I would certainly wait to see if Palm is going to be a hero or continue to be a zero.

FYI: I have put all of my bets on zero.

SMEGGIE
    Yer pal,

SMEGGIE

A bigger Treo fan than I'll admit.
    If you have a 650, update its software to 1.05a and keep it. Don't upgrade to a 700p, that's my advice.

Having had both a 650p and a 750p, I think I'm qualified to say that. With its final updates, the 650p is a more mature phone. It doesn't have the lag issues that some experience with the 700p (especially the horrible SMS-lockup issue Verizon owners have had on the 700p since Day 1), and it's got double the battery life of the 700p due to a larger battery. Bluetooth (with the 1.05a update) is a bit better than the 700p too. The 650p has issues too, don't get me wrong. Stability is far from perfect (though the 1.05a update helped some of that for me). But I don't see compelling reasons to go up to a 700p from the 650. I'd wait until six months after the next (755p?) product comes out to make a decision. Six months should be enough for us to tell whether that product is a dream or a dud.

I like the new keyboard of the 700p, and that it has more internal memory. But if offered a brand new 650p, I'd probably take it back in trade. Palm has let 700p owners down with lousy phone support as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf15 View Post
    . . . the 650p is a more mature phone. . . it's got double the battery life of the 700p due to a larger battery.
    That's incorrect. Both the 650 and the 700p shipped with the same battery.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    One other advantage of the 700p over the 650 that I forgot to mention - phone calls will ring through when you're using Power Vision...on the 650, they would go right to voicemail. That along with the increase in memory, forced roaming, and EVDO make it worth the price of admission to me.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Streaming XM radio! I'm loving this 700p!
    Hi guys.
    I am a die-hard 650 poweruser. I have a lot of great apps on my 650 that I've used for years on other Palm organizers.

My 650 is getting beat up and I'd love to have 700p's high-speed internet but remember all of the stability issues the 700p's firmware was having.

Are these problems still happening? I haven't seen much in terms of firmware updates, but may have missed something.

Can someone tell me how stable their 700p's are?

I wouldn't. With Palms recent purchase to control the OS I was very hopeful that a firmware update would be released. Now with the impending buyout and release of a new phone, I doubt the 700P will ever have an update.

This will of course force me to jump ship from the beloved Treo line.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast