Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Hi. I finally got my 650 customized to my delight ... so what is the best free backup out there. NVBackup, or is something else easier with a smaller footprint? I have basic apps running (dtg, avantgo, and some simple games) .. nothing too fancy. Tnx.

Rob
    I think the general consensus is that NVBackup is the best of the free ones.
    No question NVBackup
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Thirded. Really a fantastic app that has saved me countless times. It seems to work just as well with my 680 as it did my TX.
    4th i dropped the other ones I paid for after installing NVbackup
    Fifthed - NVBackup is better than the ones you have to pay for!
    NVBackup hands down. I also stopped using the one I paid for.
    NVBackup
    I'll be different and vote for NVBackup. Oh, wait...

Like others dropped paid apps (BackupBuddy, RescoBackup) in favour of this one.
    I currently have both NVBackUp and Resco (trial version) and I'm inclined to keeping both. However, I am greatly impressed with NVBackUp, considering that it is free.

Has anyone had problems with NVBackUp? Personally, I have not had any. Although, I have never had to restore with it. On the rare occasion that my phone had to do a hard reset, I was able to restore with HotSync and Resco (trial version). But I have been keeping my NVBackUp.. just in case.

If my concern is just to back up my phone on a regular schedule daily, just sufficient to restore if a hard reset happens, then is NVBackUp sufficient? Or does Resco (or any other paid application/utility like BackUpMan, BackUpBuddy, etc) do a better job than NVBackUp in this regard?

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    I guess the one thing to worry about (using NVBackup by itself), is that it is device (and maybe firmware) dependant. If you find all you ever need to do is to restore data to the same device, with the same firmware, sounds like you should be good to go with NVbackup. This is the one reason I do a separate auto backup (every night) with one of the other backup programs.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jkrj524 View Post
    If my concern is just to back up my phone on a regular schedule daily, just sufficient to restore if a hard reset happens, then is NVBackUp sufficient? Or does Resco (or any other paid application/utility like BackUpMan, BackUpBuddy, etc) do a better job than NVBackUp in this regard?

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    If I'm understanding you, then yes, in my experience NVBackup is sufficient. I've done many restores from hard resets--both with my TX, and now my 680--and NVBackup has restored things perfectly each and every time. BackUpBuddy always seemed to "forget" to restore certain things. I could never get my device back to its identical state. However, NVBackup seems to accomplish just this. Thus, like many, I ditched my paid version of BBuddy and now am very happy with NVBackup.

There's a reason why this app is so highly recommended by so many folks. It just works.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    NVBackup for sure. It's especially useful when I try installing a new piece of software. If I needed to roll back, instead of removing the app from the launcher or using Destaller, I simply did a restore from NVBackup. It's been working for me reliabily.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Yes, you understood my question perfectly well. Thank you for your opinion. I really appreciate it a lot.

I've been really impressed with NVBackUp. Its great to know that it will restore my phone to its original (prior to hard reset) state should it crash. I've had success restoring my data after using Resco but I've heard so many positive things about NVBackUp. Its tempting to let go of paid backup programs and just stick to NVBackUp.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by no_basho View Post
    If I'm understanding you, then yes, in my experience NVBackup is sufficient. I've done many restores from hard resets--both with my TX, and now my 680--and NVBackup has restored things perfectly each and every time. BackUpBuddy always seemed to "forget" to restore certain things. I could never get my device back to its identical state. However, NVBackup seems to accomplish just this. Thus, like many, I ditched my paid version of BBuddy and now am very happy with NVBackup.

There's a reason why this app is so highly recommended by so many folks. It just works.
    Will NVBackup allow backups to SD cards?

The software description on the developers site doesn't address this aspect

Cheers

Mark
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Turning money into noise and the occasional gadget
    Um, what else would it back up to?
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Um, what else would it back up to?
    The PC

I take from your reply it supports card backups

Cheers

Mark