1.    #1  
    Anybody seen the new Acrobat Reader for Palm Beta yet? I haven't been able to dl it. Is it good?
    There was a typo in the download link (after you fill out all that personal info...) See the note at palminfocenter.com, in the discussion thread. I'm downloading it now.
  3.    #3  
    thanks! (Man! That dl is slow! )
    I downloaded the beta, an have been playing with it using some of the PDFs I already have. The one thing that has floored me, is that the PDF files are getting bigger when they are moved to my VDX, even if I strip the graphics out? And it wasn't by a couple of KB. The files are roughly doubling in size! Has anyone else noticed this? Would using a file made with Acrobat 5 make a difference? (I notice that Adobe seems to be really pushing Acrobat 5 for making files that work "better" with this Palm version). I was excited to see that Adobe was coming out with a version for the Palm OS, but not if it doubles the file sizes.
    Sven

If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished.
  5. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by sdoersam
    I downloaded the beta, an have been playing with it using some of the PDFs I already have. The one thing that has floored me, is that the PDF files are getting bigger when they are moved to my VDX, even if I strip the graphics out? And it wasn't by a couple of KB. The files are roughly doubling in size! Has anyone else noticed this? Would using a file made with Acrobat 5 make a difference? (I notice that Adobe seems to be really pushing Acrobat 5 for making files that work "better" with this Palm version). I was excited to see that Adobe was coming out with a version for the Palm OS, but not if it doubles the file sizes.
    The few .pdf files I tried didn't get noticably larger. Maybe it's the settings you are using? Are you selecting 'full screen images' or something? I just accepted all the default settings for testing.

I have to say that the handheld viewer app is really slick. I love the idea of having a full-screen mode while still being able to temporarily bring up the control toolbar by tapping on the right side where the scrollbar would normally be.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by sdoersam
    The one thing that has floored me, is that the PDF files are getting bigger when they are moved to my VDX, even if I strip the graphics out? And it wasn't by a couple of KB. The files are roughly doubling in size! Has anyone else noticed this?
    My PDF created in 4.0 went from 230k to 310k . I'm guessing it's the "tagging" that the converter does. It's my bet that 5.0 won't help with the size issue, as it also adds the "tagging".

It's a great reader, looks and feels adobe all the way. But it's ..s..l..o..w..!. That and file size are enough for it to be easier for me to convert to isilo & images/formatting be damned!

my .02
    Originally posted by Rob

The few .pdf files I tried didn't get noticably larger. Maybe it's the settings you are using? Are you selecting 'full screen images' or something? I just accepted all the default settings for testing.

I have to say that the handheld viewer app is really slick. I love the idea of having a full-screen mode while still being able to temporarily bring up the control toolbar by tapping on the right side where the scrollbar would normally be.
    I was using the default settings also, and even tried pulling the images out, with no noticeable difference. I agree that Adobe did a great job with the interface on the handheld viewer. When I was reading through the manual playing with all the options, I was really impressed. I just did a test with the PDF manual that was included with the Acrobat for Palm OS beta, and it actually shrank in size (175K to 164K). I assume this file was created with Acrobat 5, so I wonder if this is the key? Anyone else replicate my problem?

For the record, the two other PDF files I tried were the ThinkDB_Reference manual (went from 918K to 2000K!) and a Xerox QuickNetworkInstallGuide for one of their printers (from 264K to 552K)
    Last edited by sdoersam; 04/10/2001 at 10:57 AM.
    Sven

I can't seem to load PDFs on to my Visor Prism, using the Acrobat Reader Palm Desktop. I've added a couple of PDF files to the transfer list, but after I hotsync they are still there. Any suggestions?
    Doesn't anyone use the AportisDoc PDF converter? You just drag'n'drop the *.pdf into the little box and PRESTO! you have a *.pdb file.
    I had the same problem until I exited out of the HotSync and the opened it again. The Adobe Acrobat then appeared in the Custom section of the HotSync, just like the installation program said. D'oh. Then the pdf files synced to my VDx.
    Originally posted by purplemd
    Doesn't anyone use the AportisDoc PDF converter? You just drag'n'drop the *.pdf into the little box and PRESTO! you have a *.pdb file.
    I think people like the idea of an Adobe-supported PalmOS PDF reader that displays the images that many PDF's contain.
    The page I saw for the PDF viewer said it was specifically for Windows. Any word on Linux functionality? I presume that you could use whatever Windows component they have created to do the PDF->PDB translation and that you could still install/uninstall those PDBs via coldsync or pilot-xfer under Linux...right?
    I created a 9.5mb file.. (think about it...., figure out what the problem with that is?)..

The software still needs some work...

There is always aportis..
    "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." -- Douglas Adams
    Originally posted by Shabadoo
    The page I saw for the PDF viewer said it was specifically for Windows. Any word on Linux functionality? I presume that you could use whatever Windows component they have created to do the PDF->PDB translation and that you could still install/uninstall those PDBs via coldsync or pilot-xfer under Linux...right?
    Try installing it under the CODEWEAVERS version of wine, I heard it now supports install shield installed programs..

I'd be curious to know your results, I am trying to gradually shift to Linux myself.., baby steps, using Wine as an interium solution.. Just need to find a "good" distro, I am not happy with MS and the consumer un-friendly, nickle & dime you to death product concepts they call WinXP and .NET, I figure by the time they are a reality, I'll be off their heroin OS.
    "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." -- Douglas Adams
    Originally posted by EricG
    I created a 9.5mb file.. (think about it...., figure out what the problem with that is?)..
    You mean you haven't gotten the 16MB upgrade done to your Prism yet? I thought everyone was doing that?
    Sven

Ooops, ignore...
    Size: I too have noticed that my file size has gotten bigger. I don't have PDF files from Acrobat 5 yet. I put a paper from the New England Journal on my Visor. It is 185K. The same file on the PC is 108K. I will try it without the full screen images.

Converters: I have tried Aportis, InstallBuddy, and RichReader. Most journals are written in a two column format. NONE of these read a two column format without shuffling sentences from column a and column b like a deck of cards. Not helpful. The Adobe reads regions on a page and sends the entire column for conversion, then goes to the next. Very nice. If I can figure out how to optimize the size, I could see this having a big impact in my teaching and patient care.

Kudos Adobe, now keep the price to a level my medical students can afford (free would be great,) and establish a print function, then we will be in business.

Later that same day:

Downloaded a new file from NEJM. 127K on the PC and 197K on the Palm. Took the images out of this one.
    Last edited by bigredmed; 04/11/2001 at 03:16 PM.