Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Greetings! I'm trying to make a decision on what I should get to boost the volume in my Palm Treo 650. One thing I know is that the Phone Tech has a lot of things which I can use (rigners, disable alarms, easy conference, easy dial, etc etc) so I'm a little inclined to getting this since it also will boost the volume in my phone. However, I don't exactly know if these 2 increase/boost the volume in the same way.

I'm not very particular about applications' volume.. except maybe for an alarm utility/application since I use it daily and very frequently. I just want to be able to increase the volume of the handset, headset, the speaker phone and an alarm utility/application in my 650. So if I get volume care, I might just get Volume Care Basic (as opposed to the Pro version).

I know that both are very good utilities and are both very reputable, so I'm hoping I could get your experiences with each? Just to help me decide which one I should get.. either the Volume care Basic or the Phone Tech? If you think I need Volume Care Pro, please let me know why?

I've read through some of the forum topics (by searching for similar topics) and I've had mixed reviews. Most of the people who wanted Phone Tech were getting it because at that time, it was around $10 only. However, today, they are equally priced at around $15.00.

So I guess, my question is, since both are equally priced now, which one would you recommend and why?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you very much.
    As far as I know (Plz someone confirm this) Phone Tech improves volume only while you are on (call) the phone application where as VC improves your Treo volume overall.

So since T650 suffers major volume issue I suggest you get VC in any case
    R
    Chan
    Treo 680 Mobitel GSM Sri Lanka.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chandana View Post
    As far as I know (Plz someone confirm this) Phone Tech improves volume only while you are on (call) the phone application where as VC improves your Treo volume overall.

So since T650 suffers major volume issue I suggest you get VC in any case

correct
    Volume Care works great, also developer is always on top of things. Stay away from VBooter(Toysoft)that will mess with your Treo's hede...actually any app from Toysoft, nothing but problems for me. I think GSM people have better luck with them.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Have not used the other two -- but have been more than greatly pleased with Volume Care and the support of Jeff Gibson. . . .
    as Chandana says, Phone Tech improves volume only while you are on a call.

In my mind it has the advantage of being simpler to use (no complex settings, you just adjust the volume with the volume keys) and doing much the same job.

Phone tech also has a bundle of other features included.
    http://www.hobbyistsoftware.com/technician-more.php

so if you want all the bells and whistles on volume control, VC is your best bet. If you want a simple booster when you are on a call, then I hope PT has more to offer.
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    Does anyone have any experience with either one of these apps on the Treo 680? Not hikacking the OP's subject...but I need some earpiece speaker volume improvement (quite a bit) while on a call in my 680. Please advise!
    Phone Technician is by far the easier software to use and in my opinion better than VC. It attaches itself to the standard volume control and you increase it from there. No need to mess around with boosts or potentially blowing out you phone speaker. It also has other cool feature such as a radio schedule.
  9.    #9  
    Thank you very much to all of you who have given your insight and opinions. I really appreciate it a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe View Post
    Phone Technician is by far the easier software to use and in my opinion better than VC. It attaches itself to the standard volume control and you increase it from there. No need to mess around with boosts or potentially blowing out you phone speaker. It also has other cool feature such as a radio schedule.
    Does the PT app "set" the volume on the earpiece to a user-chosen level, or would I have to re-adjust the earpiece volume each time I made or recieved a call?

Also, any experience with this program and the Treo 680?

Thanks.
    No, it remains set at the level you want it to be, like the normal volume setting. I have it running on a 650, and don't have a 680.
    Phone Tech was the best of all that I tried because it really boost the volume and simple to setup.
    --------------
    The Judge
    Houston, Tx.
    I don't get this "simple" business. Volume Care you just tick the one setting (Auto) and you're done. You adjust the volume from the volume buttons.

If you want to tinker around with more settings, you can. But do not have to.
    VC for me.
    If you just want phone call volume, Phone Technician is clearer.
    Quote Originally Posted by chenling View Post
    If you just want phone call volume, Phone Technician is clearer.
    That's the ticket for me, at least. Thanks!
  17.    #17  
    Thanks to everyone to have given their opinions. I guess it really depends on your needs. If you like simple volume boosting, Phone Tech is sufficient. But if you want to increase volume in particular apps, then VC is the way to go.

Well...I have tried both (trial version) and like most people, I found Phone Technician very easy to use. Its very simple and very easy to use. I really don't need much increase in the volume for the applications... so the volume boost of Phone Tech has been sufficient for me. It is very clear and I have had no problems hearing the person I'm talking to.

Maybe when the time comes that I need more specialized volume increase in certain apps, then I would go for VC.
    VC doesnt work with my 650 at all. It randomly deactivated my phone all the time and i missed many important calls. I would then have to use the reset button (and take off the back cover each time). I deleted the program and the problems went away thankfully.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by confusedvorlon View Post
    you just adjust the volume with the volume keys) and doing much the same job.
    Your manual says just press the up key to take it into red!
    Do you mean the bars turn red? I have not been able to take it into red! no matter how much I press.

John
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macded View Post
    VC doesnt work with my 650 at all. It randomly deactivated my phone all the time and i missed many important calls. I would then have to use the reset button (and take off the back cover each time). I deleted the program and the problems went away thankfully.
    Since there are currently thousands (if not more) of 650 owners using VC without any problems, I say your post is providing bad info. I would guess you had some other application causing your problems and VC just brought that problem to the surface. I used VC on a 650 for over a year without problems and I use it now on my 700P. Currently I use both VC and PT. I use VC to boost my phone volume as well as the volume on PTunes, TomTom, and VoiceDial. I bought Technician for it's other features, mainly "Stay Put". I have never used the volume boost feature since I have had VC since day one of owning a Treo, but I use several of Hobbyist's programs on my Treo and they work quite well, so I'm sure you would find Phone Technician will work for you. Rob's (Hobbyist Software) support is comparable to Jeff's. He frequents the MTDN forum for some unknown reason instead of TC, maybe because they spell center, "centre"
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast