1.    #1  
    Hi, I've been trying to do my own custom ROM, but I can't get my Treo talking with the ROM Tool, these are the steps I followed:
    1- Installed ROM Tool and the Treo 650 Bootloader
    2- Hard Reset the Treo
    3- Turn off Hotsync Manager
    4- Reset + Hotsync button until Bootload screen appears
    5- Vista detects a new device, a HTC USB Sync I believe
    6- Start ROM Tool

And then wait, wait, wait..... I waited more than 10 minutes, but the ROM Tool app is always waiting for phone, any ideas?

Treo 650 1.20-ENA
    Windows Vista Ultimate

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by Aspirina750; 03/13/2007 at 10:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aspirina750 View Post
    Hi, I've been trying to do my own custom ROM, but I can't get my Treo talking with the ROM Tool, these are the steps I followed:
    1- Installed ROM Tool and the Treo 650 Bootloader
    2- Hard Reset the Treo
    3- Turn off Hotsync Manager
    4- Reset + Hotsync button until Bootload screen appears
    5- Vista detects a new device, a HTC USB Sync I believe
    6- Start ROM Tool

And then wait, wait, wait..... I waited more than 10 minutes, but the ROM Tool app is always waiting for phone, any ideas?

Treo 650 1.20-ENA
    Windows Vista Ultimate

Thanks!!!
    I'm having the same problem, but with Treo Sprint 1.13. I think the issue is that the ROM Tool uses .NET version 2 and Vista uses a more recent version of .NET

Can any one confirm that the ROM Tool works on Vista? If not, why?
    No it does not and I dont know why. I know I emailed the guys at grack and they said it would be some time in the future.
    bump

what is the difference between a "Treo 650 Bootloader" (Without activesync) device and a "HTC USB Sync" (when activesync is installed)

thanks
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
    I dont know. I have RomTOol working on my Vista 32bit
    I just had to change the HTC USB Sync driver, which automatically installs when treo in bootloader is plugged in to Treo 650 Bootloader.
    And Romtool then worked fine
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Try this, thanks to the original poster.

But....there is a way to get round this and not affect any other functionality in Vista, by simply installing the XP USB Driver. Here's how.

You'll need the following:

Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC) - look for the latest version HERE (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...cecenter.mspx).
    The device drivers for use with Vista - x32 (http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...2&d=1169888879) or x64 (http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33892&d=1170385335).Here's what to do - and it's a bit lengthy but stick with it....

Unpack the drivers you downloaded to their own folder and make a note of it's location.
    Put your device in bootloader. For Orbit/Artemis, hold the power/voice recorder buttons then hold the soft reset button for 5 seconds, then release the soft reset button only (continue to hold the other two). Soon enough you'll get the three-colour screen.
    Connect your device.
    Run WMDC.
    Open connection settings and UN-CHECK "Allow USB Connections".
    Exit WMDC.
    Return to the Vista Desktop. Go to Start Search and type "Services" and select this from the resultant list. Click "continue" to display it.
    In the newly-opened window, find "Windows Mobile-based connectivity" and "Windows Mobile 2003-based connectivity". For each of these, in the startup type column, set this to "Automatic" and click "Start" in the bar on the left. Once these settings are changed, close this window.
    Return to the Vista Desktop. Go to Start Search and type "Device Manager" and select this from the list. Click "continue" to display it.
    Click the "+" next to 'Mobile Devices', and double-click on "HTC USB Sync" - this is your device.
    You know can see the properties associated with the USB Connection. Go to the 'Driver' tab and click on "Update Driver".
    In the next window, select "Browse my Computer for Driver Software", then
    Select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer", then
    Click the "Have Disk" button, then
    Click the "Browse" button and navigate to the folder created way back in step 1.
    Vista x32 users should select 'wceusbsh.inf', while x64 users need to select select 'wceusbshx64.inf', then click "Open" and click "Next" to install the driver. [Nearly there now.]
    Once the installation has completed, invoke the Task Manager using Ctrl-Alt-Del and stop the WMDC process.
    Re-open WMDC.
    Open connection settings and CHECK "Allow USB Connections" again.That's it (!). Now this process is completed, Vista will correctly detect and use the USB connection when your device is in Bootloader, something it does not do normally.

Enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsirg View Post
    I dont know. I have RomTOol working on my Vista 32bit
    I just had to change the HTC USB Sync driver, which automatically installs when treo in bootloader is plugged in to Treo 650 Bootloader.
    And Romtool then worked fine
    How did you change the HTC USB Sync driver? I've tried , but nothing is working for me.
    I just went to:
    Right click my Computer -> Manage ->Devices
    then selected the HTC Sync and then Update Driver. Then select from list and Treo 650 bootloader