Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here is my step by step process:

1. Set up gmail to collect all your POP email accounts. (a recently added feature to some gmail accounts)

2. Set up gmail to forward to Sprint PCS email. (or other service provider email)

3. Set up gmail for POP access.

4. Set up Sprint PCS email, (or other service provider email) to alert you via SMS as new emails arrive.

5. Set up Outlook or other email client to only collect Gmail.

5. Set up Versamail on Treo to collect Sprint PCS email. (or other service provider email)

For those of you who are visual: An email sent to email A@B.com is collected by gmail with it's new feature. Then, get's forwarded to my Sprint PCS email while also staying in my Gmail inbox. Then Sprint PCS alerts me via SMS. This whole proces takes about 10 to 15 seconds. I can then choose to download via versamail and/or (since it's still in my gmail inbox) download it to Outlook or other email client.

All though it is not the actual email itself, this solution has many positives...

First, I'm notified right away as new emails are available. Two, I save on battery power by not having versamail check the server every 5-30 minutes. Three, by having gmail forward a copy of the email to a different email address, (not one I am having gmail collect), I can have a copy of the email sync with Outlook on my PC. Lastly, it's free!

Enjoy!
    Need information on Real Estate, Please contact me!!!
    www.TheMMTeam.com
    I am also a fan of Sprint's SMS notification option. Well, until my Sprint inbox started collecting spam, anyway. Had to do away with that.

But good write-up.
    Or you can forward your Gmail to 123456789@messaging.sprintpcs.com, so it comes as a text to your phone without farwarding your gmail to Sprint (which has crazy spam....)
    Chatter can intercept these SMS's automatically, with one checkbox. that's how I used it, with POP3 + SMS. When the SMS came in, Chatter silently intercepts and doesn't pop up, but rather, does a receive on the mailbox you got the SMS for. Now that's push-like
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    I did something similar, but don't have to go the SMS route. I forwarded my g-mail and some other accounts to foward to my www.live.mail2web.com account. Mail2web is an web outlook service (free, btw). I then set up an activesync account on my treo. So, send an an e-mail to my gmail, it gets forwarded to my mail2web which is pushed to my phone through activesync.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    forward gmail to fusemail, and sync Chatter in online mode with the fusemail acct. Push email rec'd instantly with no sms charges.
    BB GoAmerica > BB Earthlink > Verizon Treo 600 > Sprint Treo 650 > Sprint Treo 700p > Sprint Treo 755p & Sprint MotoQ
    Doesn't Sprint charge for SMS per message? I thought it was like 15 cents per message.
    Yea, but if you have an SMS plan, it's less of an issue, especially if you have unlimited SMS.
  9.    #9  
    I discovered another solution! By installing the gmail application on my treo, I can access gmail directly. This way I can set gmail to forward the email to my 1234567890@messaging.sprintpcs.com, (like Mahootz explains above) and then just check my gmail app.

This allows me to get alerted somewhat quicker (and without spam from sprintpcs account), check my gmail in a more robust application, erase emails that I don't need to save, and still have outlook download the ones that I do need to save.

By the way, my soon to be wife has a Blackberry and I sent an email to both of us at the same time. I received the notice quicker!
    www.TheMMTeam.com
    I use Business Connect for this. Sprint pushes my business email and my Gmail to my BC app on the Treo in separate inboxes so my personal and business email are kept separate.

I do not hear of may folks using BC anymore but in the last few revisions it has gotten very stable and stays synced with my Outlook inbox, calendar and contacts in near real time.

Nothing like accepting an invite to a meeting while you are in one.......
    good tip with the gmail sms just started using it today and on my tests I sent from my schools email to gmail and I received the text on my phone like 15 seconds later.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I use Business Connect for this. Sprint pushes my business email and my Gmail to my BC app on the Treo in separate inboxes so my personal and business email are kept separate.

I do not hear of may folks using BC anymore but in the last few revisions it has gotten very stable and stays synced with my Outlook inbox, calendar and contacts in near real time.

Nothing like accepting an invite to a meeting while you are in one.......

With the exception of paying for SMS messages, (which I already used anyway), my solution is free. How much is BC Connect?
    www.TheMMTeam.com
    Quote Originally Posted by J0V3 View Post
    With the exception of paying for SMS messages, (which I already used anyway), my solution is free. How much is BC Connect?

My solution is free-er- it doesn't use SMS. BC was $15 per month, last I checked.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    My solution is free-er- it doesn't use SMS. BC was $15 per month, last I checked.
    Don't see how that's "free-er-". SMS texting is as follows:

$2.50 for 100
    $5.00 for 500
    $10.00 for 1000
    $15.00 for Unlimited

Worse case scenario they are the same price. However, if you get the ten dollar plan, that's 33 SMSs a day!
    www.TheMMTeam.com
    If you read my previous post, you would understand. I don't use or need SMS. No SMS=Free.
  16.    #16  
    My bad, I thought you were responding about the BC app.

I did try the mail2web service before I had this set up and I didn't like it for a couple of reasons. 1. It's definately not as fast as my set up. You still have to pull the server every five minutes. 2. With the exchange account in versamail, it syncs not only mail, but also contacts and calendar. I have just over 2000 contacts on my phone. By the time it got to 500ish the whole synch blew up! For me my setup is cleaner.
    www.TheMMTeam.com
    Here is my step by step process:

1. Set up gmail to collect all your POP email accounts. (a recently added feature to some gmail accounts)

2. Set up gmail to forward to Sprint PCS email. (or other service provider email)

3. Set up gmail for POP access.

4. Set up Sprint PCS email, (or other service provider email) to alert you via SMS as new emails arrive.

5. Set up Outlook or other email client to only collect Gmail.

5. Set up Versamail on Treo to collect Sprint PCS email. (or other service provider email)

For those of you who are visual: An email sent to email A@B.com is collected by gmail with it's new feature. Then, get's forwarded to my Sprint PCS email while also staying in my Gmail inbox. Then Sprint PCS alerts me via SMS. This whole proces takes about 10 to 15 seconds. I can then choose to download via versamail and/or (since it's still in my gmail inbox) download it to Outlook or other email client.

All though it is not the actual email itself, this solution has many positives...

First, I'm notified right away as new emails are available. Two, I save on battery power by not having versamail check the server every 5-30 minutes. Three, by having gmail forward a copy of the email to a different email address, (not one I am having gmail collect), I can have a copy of the email sync with Outlook on my PC. Lastly, it's free!

Enjoy!
    Sprint PCS email will also accept email from other services. you could have eliminated half of that.......
    Matty
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by matty032 View Post
    Sprint PCS email will also accept email from other services. you could have eliminated half of that.......
    Sprint PCS = SPAM
    GMAIL = Awesome SPAM Filter!
    www.TheMMTeam.com
    Don't see how that's "free-er-". SMS texting is as follows:

$2.50 for 100
    $5.00 for 500
    $10.00 for 1000
    $15.00 for Unlimited

Worse case scenario they are the same price. However, if you get the ten dollar plan, that's 33 SMSs a day!
    Call sprint up if you are paying $15 a month.. I was setting up a plan for one of my buddies and online it said unlimited was $10 a month. Being an older sprint user I only pay $5 and some pay half that or get it for free.
  20.    #20  
    I'm using a family plan...

Main line get's it for $15
    Second line for $7.50
    3rd get's $15

They also mentioned that if you are a colleg student, first line gets unlimited for $10.

Doesn't really matter anyway, I got 15% discount of my whole bill because I'm a realtor.
    www.TheMMTeam.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast