1.    #1  
    I have a Nokia with a 3rd party program which turns the phone into a GPS like device. You can set a fixed position and then you can get relative directions back to that position. Is there such a program for the Treo.

I assume that this uses cell tower info. for the position.
    Are you asking for interactive navigation, or just looking up directions? Anything GPS related would require both software and a GPS receiver. The most popular software is TomTom, but that's typically used for driving and I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by dm_tx View Post
    I have a Nokia with a 3rd party program which turns the phone into a GPS like device. You can set a fixed position and then you can get relative directions back to that position. Is there such a program for the Treo.

No, you'll need a GPS unit. There's no access to any GPS data from the phone itself. You can get a bluetooth GPS for around $80.

There's quite a few GPS software options for the Treo, search for them and you'll find lots.
    Quote Originally Posted by dm_tx View Post

I think you're just looking for directions, not actual navigation and tracking like those allowed by GPS.

I'd suggest Google maps, it works pretty good for me.
    I don't remember the name, but what it did was triangulate (is that correct) your position using 3 or more cell towers and then display your position in a map, I believe that Emergency units use something like that for locating cellphone calls no?

In spain Movistar had a navigation pack using that system, it just sucked.

BTW, I don't know anything like that for the Treo.