Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1.    #1  
    So i've gotten a few inquiries regarding my experience with the Speck See-Through Case for the Treo 680. And I will say it's perhaps one of the best cases i've tried so far. Having used Sena cases and other high-end expensive accessories to protect my investment, I decided to try out the Speck See-Through case and see if it really was as good as they advertised.

    I purchased it about 2 months ago and got it within 3 days or so, and I immediately installed it on my Treo 680. I have some pictures to show you how the case itself looks here:

    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/177/4...e0f0ae81_o.jpg

    The case covers up everything except the keyboard, the screen, the silence switch on top, the speakers, the camera, the bottom port(s), and the side buttons..and of course the stylus. The only thing that it covers up that may be essential to some people may be the SD slot on the side, but it doesn't affect me, as the card is rarely taken out from my Treo 680.

    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/158/4...e79636ef_o.jpg

    Aside from the SD card slot, it will also prevent you from doing a quick reset by removing the battery since the battery cover is stuck behind this case. I rarely have to reset my phone, so It does not affect me that much anyway.

    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/152/4...8fe0e102_o.jpg

    The case is made out of relatively hard plastic, however, not hard enough to crack if you drop it. The plastic itself is very flexible and durable, so it'll be tough to break under pressure or to break it accidentally.

    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/129/4...f71f3113_o.jpg

    The case itself is not 100% see-through as the front part of the case is a grainy see-through texture. The back is glossy-see through, which I guess is ok, but I wouldn't have minded it being grainy all over personally. The reason why i say this is because the only glossy part(s) of the case are the ones that get smudged by fingerprints. The fact that the rest of it has a grainy texture to it makes it hard to easily scratch or get grime on it from your fingers.

    The case came with a couple more things that I think are worth mentioning. Of course, it comes with a holster which proves to be very sturdy. It grips on to the case via small indentations on the side shown below.

    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/181/4...19710790_o.jpg

    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/161/4...917c1a50_o.jpg

    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/184/4...e02ea7b4_o.jpg

    The holster is made out of the same material as the case. It allows you to clip it on to your waist with a really strong grip. It also can swivel so it can be upright or on it's side on your hip. The swivel is very strong, so strong it makes a loud "CLAK!!" sound every small turn you make on it. It stays pretty locked on it's position you set it on though. It grabs both of the phone's parts together, so don't think that if the front side falls off, so will your phone.

    The only other part i should mention is, don't use the screen protector this case comes with, and i'll give 1 reason why you shouldn't use it, and none of you will fight me about it.

    Reason: The material is so thick that trying to pick something with the stylus on the screen will be impossible unless you apply about 10 pounds of force...wouldn't wanna do that..it costs 200 dollars to replace the screen. This screen protector is not the type you attach to your Treo's screen, it's more like a little window you put in the case, like you would with an iPod case. If you have a screen protector on, don't remove it for this case, as it is useless. If you don't have one, i highly recommend BoxWave screen protectors, as they have never failed me in the past.

    I hope this small review helps you all benefit from this case should you choose to buy it.

    - Cerebrum
    Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde
  2. #2  
    thanks for the great review; i guess the purpose of the thick plastic screen protector is if you're simply using the buttons below and are not using the touchscreen, this would protect the screen. is it easily insertable and removable? can you post a pic of the protector and what it looks like on and off the device? looks pretty good, i might have to pick one of these up.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by UKingdom View Post
    thanks for the great review; i guess the purpose of the thick plastic screen protector is if you're simply using the buttons below and are not using the touchscreen, this would protect the screen. is it easily insertable and removable? can you post a pic of the protector and what it looks like on and off the device? looks pretty good, i might have to pick one of these up.
    It isn't easy to remove once the case is on. The reason is because the only way you can put it on and take it off is by actually removing the case off the phone. So should you come to a situation where you can't use your buttons to help you out and you need to use the stylus, you'd have to open the case, remove the little window, and THEN it will be accessible.

    I actually tried looking for the plastic shield for the screen, but can't seem to find it, maybe I threw it away, heh. To give you an idea of how thick it is, take a CD or DVD and look at it from the side as it is flat on a table. Take that thickness and cut it in half, that's about how thick the plastic is.

    I hope that helps.

    C.M.S.
    Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum View Post
    The case covers up everything except the keyboard, the screen, the silence switch on top, the speakers, the camera, the bottom port(s), and the side buttons..and of course the stylus. The only thing that it covers up that may be essential to some people may be the SD slot on the side, but it doesn't affect me, as the card is rarely taken out from my Treo 680.

    Aside from the SD card slot, it will also prevent you from doing a quick reset by removing the battery since the battery cover is stuck behind this case. I rarely have to reset my phone, so It does not affect me that much anyway.
    - Cerebrum
    If youre the enterprising type you could put the case on your phone without the battery cover and mark with a pen where the reset hole is and take it back off and drill a hole into it. Then, put the battery cover back on, put the case back on, poke a pen thru hole you just drilled to mark the battery cover, then, obviously take that all back off. Drill a hole thru the marked battery cover.

    You could also mark out an area where the SD card goes and bore out that area if you have a dremel.

    Reason I bring this up...
    A) for anyone who wants to do it
    B) cause I want this case so bad I can taste it, cept they dont and wont make it for the 700 and lastly...
    C) this it the procedure I used to drill out my reset holes on all my hard cases and both my battery covers for my 650 and 700 so, I hope it helps those who are interested.
    Oh wait...
    D) This procedure will save you about $20 instead of buying a battery cover from Seidio that has the hole already in it!
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    If youre the enterprising type you could put the case on your phone without the battery cover and mark with a pen where the reset hole is and take it back off and drill a hole into it. Then, put the battery cover back on, put the case back on, poke a pen thru hole you just drilled to mark the battery cover, then, obviously take that all back off. Drill a hole thru the marked battery cover.

    You could also mark out an area where the SD card goes and bore out that area if you have a dremel.

    Reason I bring this up...
    A) for anyone who wants to do it
    B) cause I want this case so bad I can taste it, cept they dont and wont make it for the 700 and lastly...
    C) this it the procedure I used to drill out my reset holes on all my hard cases and both my battery covers for my 650 and 700 so, I hope it helps those who are interested.
    Oh wait...
    D) This procedure will save you about $20 instead of buying a battery cover from Seidio that has the hole already in it!
    Those suggestions may work well for 700P and 650 models, but the 680 was designed without any type of reset hole. Drilling through battery covers or cases will not help people with 680s.
  6. #6  
    oops thanks!
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
  7. #7  
    Have anyone tried it with Palm Treo 750? Is the Palm Treo 750 the same as 680 in size except for a bit heavier in weight.
  8. ktm97's Avatar
    Posts
    341 Posts
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    #8  
    How smooth is the plastic, does it have any texture, I feel the 680 is so smooth it tends to slip out of my hand, does this case provide any grip?
    thanks for the review.

Posting Permissions