1.    #1  
    I just got a Treo 680 and am calling in the experts. I have the phone app to start contact search when typing letters, and have my main screen set to the dial pad. The problem is when I try to start type a name nothing happens, on my 700p it starts narrowing down the search. Is there any way to have it start searching contacts while on the dial pad like very other Treo? It seems I can only dial #'s while on the dial pad, and must switch to the the main screen with wallpaper (little phone icon on the bottom of the screen, or if I go to contacts (little person icon). It just seems a step back not to be able to look up contacts from the dial pad screen. Thanks in advance.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Good Question, My 680 you also have to be in the contacts page for this to work.

Maybe someone here will have the answer.
    Take a look at TakePhone and 2Day both from SHSH Software - they work well together and do some of what you want. www.shsh.com

Ben
  4.    #4  
    Thanks Bclinger for the information. It just seems like Palm took a step backwards not allowing contact search from the dial pad, but it doesn't suprise me anymore when they make changes like this.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    This works fine for me, but I don't have the screen set to dial pad, I have it set to the middle tab
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
  6.    #6  
    I changed my settings to the middle tab as well, it doesn't work if you set it to dial pad.
    Jimmie Geddes
    oh wow!
    Thanks!
    i also use the "home screen" as my default phone screen. I always thought it was stupid to have 2 places to dial a number from...now i can start looking for a contact without having to switch...i know it is now 2 things for contact search...but still cool setting.
    Jimmie:

Why'd you decide to get a 680?

I trialed a 750 for a month and am now doing the same with a 680. In two weeks I gotta decide which one to stick with. I've found pros and cons for both.

What are your thoughts?
  9.    #9  
    I got a 680 because it's so much more stable than my 700p. I have an unlocked 680 so I alternate it between the 680 and my Dash. I pay $5.99 a month for unlimited internet using T-Zones. It works perfectly on both my Dash and 680. I'm a Palm OS guy and got a great deal on an unlocked 680 so I went for it.

750 awesome machine with the HSDPA patch. I just wouldn't go with Cingular because I feel their data prices are a rip off. $5.99 for unlimited EDGE is sweet. Of course T-Mobile has been shutting this down, but I got them to re-instate it. They want smartphone users to pay the $29.99 a month, but you can get around it.

When I had the 680 Palm sent me for review the battery life sucked. After installing the camera update on my new 680 I make it through a whole day without having to charge, something I couldn't do when the 680 first came out.

The 680 is very stable compared to my 700p, and doesn't suffer spontaneous reboots like the 700p. I'm very happy with the 680.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Thanks for your comments Jimmie. I'm really struggling with which way to go. As soon as I convince myself to keep the 680 I have now, it's starts giving me problems (freezes, touch screen stops working, etc.). Then when I think about going back to the 750, the 680 starts working fine again and I start to talk myself out of the extra cost of the 750!

Man, I'm really on the fence on this one!! Damn, I've only got a week to decide.
    I forgot to say that I've gone so far as making up a list of pros and cons for each device to try to help me decide. It didn't help much though because the lists were almost equal! I'm a long time POS user and the 750 was my first WM device, so I guess that speaks well of the 750 that it could come out in a dead heat with the more "familiar" 680.
  12.    #12  
    I understand what you're going through, but I find the 680 does the job for me. There's just an elegant simplicity in the Palm OS for me when it comes to my smartphone. I love my 700wx, and Dash, but my 680 just does what I need faster. The Palm OS while viewed as ancient still requires less taps and menus for people on the go. The 750 and 700wx are great laptop replacements, and "wow" factor. They have their place and there's so many things they can do that my 680 or 700p can't do, but in terms of a great smartphone for me I find the 680 just does it right . I obviously have a smartphone addiction,lol. Don't get all hung up with bells and whistles with your choice. I'm sure you'll figure out when it comes down to it if the 680 or 750 is the right smartphone for YOU.
    Jimmie Geddes
  13.    #13  
    I find there's a wow, cool factor when it comes to WM. WM can do so much more than Palm OS. Do you really need your smartphone to do all those things? I've found that going to the 680 is just more reliable and quicker, that's my personal opinion. I need a phone that is a great phone and keeps me organized, and that's what the ancient Palm OS still has over WM. Just think about what you use your phone for, not what the phone can do.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Treo 680/750 Comparison

680 PROs
    - I'm more familiar w/ POS UI
    - $200 Cheaper
    - Higher res 320x320
    - Avail. in 4 colors
    - Uses my regular SD card

680 CONs
    - Not 3G
    - Have to use Good Mobile Messaging (GMM) for my work e-mail (sync with Exchange Server)
    - Can't assign ringtones w/ GMM
    - Can't send email attachments w/ GMM
    - Bad camera
    - Slippery

750 PROs
    - 3G (+HSDPA coming)
    - EAS (no GMM or BES Middleware required)
    - Can assign ringtones in POutlook
    - Can send email attachments from device
    - Better camera
    - Grip finish
    - Bluetooth Stereo!

750 CONs
    - More steps in WM UI
    - $200 More
    - Lower res 240x240
    - Only available in one color
    - Have to buy new mini SD card (and larger sizes like 8GB aren't yet available)
    - WM6 coming and 750 is WM5 with no upgrade availabilty confirmed
  15.    #15  
    The 750 is more of the luxury phone, the 680 isn't even meant to compete with it. I'm not not too familiar with the whole EAS, but the 680 can sync with Exchange.

You've got quite a decision on your hands, you could always be CRAZY like me and just get an unlocked 680 and Cingular 750, only kidding.

I'm almost positive Palm is going to offer a WM6 upgrade for the 750, but don't ever buy a device for what you might get in the future. WM6 has some nice features, but it's more eye candy than anything. I'm glad my Dash is getting it for free

Throw the pros and cons out the "Windows" for now. Which phone do you find more reliable, faster, and gets the job done.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by eTreo View Post
    Treo 680/750 Comparison

680 PROs
    - I'm more familiar w/ POS UI
    - $200 Cheaper
    - Higher res 320x320
    - Avail. in 4 colors
    - Uses my regular SD card

680 CONs
    - Not 3G
    - Have to use Good Mobile Messaging (GMM) for my work e-mail (sync with Exchange Server)
    - Can't assign ringtones w/ GMM
    - Can't send email attachments w/ GMM
    - Bad camera
    - Slippery
    It sounds like your problem is more with having to use Good Mobile Messaging than with the 680. Is that the only option you have?

As far as 3G, Edge speeds are not that horrible and 3G isn't even available everywhere, yet. And, Softick is making strides in getting Bluetooth stereo to work...
  17.    #17  
    Yea, I mean having 3g is GREAT, but it's more of a novelty on such a small screen. I read on the forums that softick is now working on the 680 for BT stereo.
    Jimmie Geddes