Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    I am trying to use OpenDNS with my Sprint Treo 700p. The instructions posted on OpenDNS' site are for a cingular (GSM) Treo. Anyone have any idea how to change DNS on a Sprint Treo? Did a search and couldn't find answer in the forums.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I believe you can start a new connection and enter it in that way, but you will have to know all your other settings to enter as well. Maybe by duplicating current setting, then edit the new one's dns
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    I've gotten MOST of the settings to match the shown settings on their instructions, but I get a PPP Timeout 0x1231. Anyone get their Sprint 700p to connect using OpenDNS?
    check your pdpget settings it the "View log" in the pulldown menu of the Network preferences. I have not been able to edit it ?

Are you using EVDO or 1X? (before you changed the DNS?)
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    any help for someone on verizon ??
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Did anyone find the answer to this questions, I'm trying to this as well on my 700p sprint phone, no dns options, and a duplicate with no changes doesn't work
    can I ask why you wish to change your dns settings? what do you think is the benifit of changing it?
    Ditto. Why would you want to go out and use DNS on the net instead of the ones on your local (Sprint/Verizon) subnet? You're just increasing the number of hops to resolve (and thus, slowing your connection) by making your phone use a non-local DNS server.

I could see if you were having issues, but this tweak will not increase performance, it will only degrade it.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon View Post
    but this tweak will not increase performance, it will only degrade it.
    a. that is not a true statement
    b. http://opendns.com especially http://www.opendns.com/how/faster/global-footprint/
    It is a true statement, in that you are having to leave your provider's subnet however many hops it is to the closest open DNS server. Don't believe everything you read. Your network traffic is going to have to traverse your provider's routers and out to the internet where there are possible bottlenecks, even before open DNS picks up your request and routes it to their server, and then (finally) sends your packet back. It is also entirely possible that some of the addresses that need to be resolved could live on the provider network (addressed with a private IP) and not have a record on the open DNS servers, causing further problems/failure of requests.

Do what you want...I'll stick with the local servers. If you're hosting a site I could see the advantage to openDNS, but not for a device on a mobile phone network.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    You do have more hops, but the faster response time of the OpenDNS servers more than makes up for it. I don't use OpenDNS anymore, but I do use Verizon's (4.2.2.1) as well as one from Mindspring. This gives me redundancy as well as faster response time than Sprint's DNS servers. You can find tons of posts across the Internet of users doing this. You will see that almost every one of them reported faster DNS resolution than with their carrier's DNS servers.

If the carrier's DNS servers response time were as fast as those offered by OpenDNS or others like Verizon's 4.2.2.1 then it would be better to use them.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer