Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49
  1. Jolsba's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
       #1  
    Does anyone from experience knows, if I can use my Treo to surf internet and receive mails via versamai, l while airborned (after take-off and before landing)? Spring Break is here!
  2. #2  
    sure if you want to break a federal law.

    plus realisticly, youll probably loose the signal often if you can even pick it up depending on where youre flying over and how far up you are.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
  3. SMEGGIE's Avatar
    Posts
    416 Posts
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    #3  
    Yeah. Not a good idea. Stay in school. It will help you answer questions like this later in life yourself...



    SMEGGIE
    Yer pal,

    SMEGGIE


    A bigger Treo fan than I'll admit.
  4. #4  
    even if u wanted to break the law u could not surf. U have no signal at 20k + feet. u can play all the games u want and listen to any music u have on it though legally.
    _____________
    Visor -> Treo 650 Cingular UNLocked (Cing. Blue Phone on Orange Network) -> vzw 700p -> VZW Centro (much better)
  5. #5  
    What I do is surf to all the pages before I get on the plane. After they close the door turn your radio off and access the pages from your cache.

    Just make sure you load up on enough reading material before you have to shut your radio off.

    As for mail, you'll just have to wait till you land.
  6. Leke's Avatar
    Posts
    597 Posts
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by SMEGGIE View Post
    Yeah. Not a good idea. Stay in school. It will help you answer questions like this later in life yourself...



    SMEGGIE
    ROFL
  7. #7  
    As soon as you pass 5k-10k feet all hopes of our weak modern day phones working fails.. Plus a 10-15 mins after you take off you will probably be away from a populated area with cell towers. At most your cell phone will work 2-3 miles away.
  8. mg48's Avatar
    Posts
    541 Posts
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    #8  
    Being an aviator and aerospace system engineer, I can tell you that it is not a big deal to use your phone while flying. (I know some of the more conservitive on this board will cry foul) That said, if your landing in a bad storm where the pilot is likely flying blind (instruments only) until he reaches the minimum decision altitude (about 200' AGL) you should be praying to God, not trying to get a last message out to an Earthling. Tests have been done by multiple agencies trying to determine impacts to navigation by cell phone transmitions. Most indicate it is not a problem. A few have had anomolies during the test but it is hard to prove if it is the phones vs. other transmitters or solar flares, ... Aircraft regularly have glitches and that has been the case since before cell phones were used by anyone, that's why they have multiple navigation systems. (magnetic compas, directional gyro, gps, inerital navigation systems, radio navigation, ...)

    The cell towers are good for up to 8 miles which is about 40,000 feet. Most airlines cruise in the 30's, some make it to 41 these days. But the cell towers are tuned for horizontal performance not vertical. The cell companies actually don't want you to use the phone in a plane because it jumps towers too fast and can cause problems for them.

    Once you get near your cruise altitude about 20 mins after take off you won't be able to stay locked on a signal long enough to use it. But from take-off till cruise you if your in a high density area. Take of from a smaller city and you lose signal in minutes. From Houston you get about 15 mins or so.

    It's really not worth the try, but I admit I have left my phone on just to see what it will do in the airliner as opposed to in a private plane where I can talk while I fly. I can use EVDO to update weather and email friends of my location.
    Mike G

    Touch (Sprint)
  9. #9  
    i agree with this completely...

    Quote Originally Posted by mg48 View Post
    Being an aviator and aerospace system engineer, I can tell you that it is not a big deal to use your phone while flying. (I know some of the more conservitive on this board will cry foul) That said, if your landing in a bad storm where the pilot is likely flying blind (instruments only) until he reaches the minimum decision altitude (about 200' AGL) you should be praying to God, not trying to get a last message out to an Earthling. Tests have been done by multiple agencies trying to determine impacts to navigation by cell phone transmitions. Most indicate it is not a problem. A few have had anomolies during the test but it is hard to prove if it is the phones vs. other transmitters or solar flares, ... Aircraft regularly have glitches and that has been the case since before cell phones were used by anyone, that's why they have multiple navigation systems. (magnetic compas, directional gyro, gps, inerital navigation systems, radio navigation, ...)

    The cell towers are good for up to 8 miles which is about 40,000 feet. Most airlines cruise in the 30's, some make it to 41 these days. But the cell towers are tuned for horizontal performance not vertical. The cell companies actually don't want you to use the phone in a plane because it jumps towers too fast and can cause problems for them.

    Once you get near your cruise altitude about 20 mins after take off you won't be able to stay locked on a signal long enough to use it. But from take-off till cruise you if your in a high density area. Take of from a smaller city and you lose signal in minutes. From Houston you get about 15 mins or so.

    It's really not worth the try, but I admit I have left my phone on just to see what it will do in the airliner as opposed to in a private plane where I can talk while I fly. I can use EVDO to update weather and email friends of my location.
    _____________
    Visor -> Treo 650 Cingular UNLocked (Cing. Blue Phone on Orange Network) -> vzw 700p -> VZW Centro (much better)
  10. #10  
    It is legal to use a GPS device in a plane! I have a Delorme USB GPS receiver and have used it on previous flights. It's pretty cool to watch the plane flying through the US on my laptop.

    I have had success using my treo shortly after takeoff and shortly before landing. I usually try to send a few txt messages to the one who is picking me up, letting them know that I'll be landing in a few minutes. It's quite helpful since landing times can vary from the scheduled time.

    I always figured that it wasn't a big deal and that sending a txt wouldn't crash the plane. They are using quite some advanced technology in the cockpits and most likely are transmitting communications across different or federal frequencies.
  11. pump142's Avatar
    Posts
    787 Posts
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    #11  
    i use my gps / laptop from time to time just as a gee whiz watch the trip. no flight crew has ever complained. Most are facinated that i am actually able to do it. its a passive antenna so I dont think it could hurt. you will need the suction cup thing as the antenna will not receive in the can.
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
  12. leonidm's Avatar
    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    #12  
    in post 911 paranoia, you have a chnce to be thrown out of a plane while in flight for tracking your flight on a laptop )
  13. #13  
    I've already tried it during my trip from LAX to PHL and back...most of the time, I get no bars...at times, a single bar. When I did get a single bar, I rarely got Internet connectivity to work.

    What I should have tried is Tomtom 6 while in flight in my 700p...would have been neat to see. I'll try it on my next business trip.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by leonidm View Post
    in post 911 paranoia, you have a chnce to be thrown out of a plane while in flight for tracking your flight on a laptop )
    I think that is the main reason why GPS is "banned" on planes. They dont want you to know the flight routes along with exact location. I have been on some boats also that they ban GPS units for this reason. (But they were small boats going to "secret" beach location on an island.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewAz View Post
    I think that is the main reason why GPS is "banned" on planes.
    It's not banned on all passenger aircraft. GPS receivers are allowed on SWA flights, I know for a fact.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by mtsu_av8er View Post
    It's not banned on all passenger aircraft. GPS receivers are allowed on SWA flights, I know for a fact.
    Yes, SWA lists it in their magazine that it is an approved in-flight gadget, I think United may as well.
  17. #17  
    The best program for aggregating websites/pages for easy (and legal) use while in flight is Avantgo (www.avantgo.com). One of my preflight rituals is to syncronize Avantgo just before we take off so I have the most up-to-date information as possible while on my flight.
  18. #18  
    As a COMMERCIAL PILOT, flying you people around all day long, I feel like I need to say something. STOP USING YOUR CELL PHONES IN FLIGHT!!!! Seriously people, is it that important to get your e-mails and text messages in flight? Is is something worth dying for? Because yes, it really can cause interference in flight. How do I know? Because I can hear it all the time. It's usually not the navigation systems it interferes with, it's the communications system.

    The problem is usually when the cell phone is looking for a signal, like when you turn it on, turn it off, or usually around 10,000 feet when the you are too high for a signal. When this happens, I can hear static in my headset. Now why is this bad? I'll give you a situation. The weather is terrible and the visibility is at say 1/2 mile. I am about 20 seconds from landing, but still can't make out a runway. Some airplane pulls out on to the runway by mistake 3/4 mile down the runway. The tower tells me to pull up and go around because there is another airplane in the way. Right at that time, someone turns on their phone and because of the static, I don't hear the command and land the airplane on the runway and crash into the other plane. Game over. All because someone wanted to check their e-mail and couldn't wait another 20 seconds. Sorry for the rant, but it's a huge pet peeve of mine.
  19. SMEGGIE's Avatar
    Posts
    416 Posts
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Foehammer View Post
    As a COMMERCIAL PILOT, flying you people around all day long, I feel like I need to say something. STOP USING YOUR CELL PHONES IN FLIGHT!!!! Seriously people, is it that important to get your e-mails and text messages in flight? Is is something worth dying for? Because yes, it really can cause interference in flight. How do I know? Because I can hear it all the time. It's usually not the navigation systems it interferes with, it's the communications system.

    The problem is usually when the cell phone is looking for a signal, like when you turn it on, turn it off, or usually around 10,000 feet when the you are too high for a signal. When this happens, I can hear static in my headset. Now why is this bad? I'll give you a situation. The weather is terrible and the visibility is at say 1/2 mile. I am about 20 seconds from landing, but still can't make out a runway. Some airplane pulls out on to the runway by mistake 3/4 mile down the runway. The tower tells me to pull up and go around because there is another airplane in the way. Right at that time, someone turns on their phone and because of the static, I don't hear the command and land the airplane on the runway and crash into the other plane. Game over. All because someone wanted to check their e-mail and couldn't wait another 20 seconds. Sorry for the rant, but it's a huge pet peeve of mine.
    Thanks for this rant...

    This is also a pet peeve of mine and I am a business traveler. I always hear someone's stupid fuggin' ringtone BEFORE we land or right AFTER we take off and I feel like putting my pen through their temple!!

    For crying out loud...when someone tells you not to do something - don't do it!!


    SMEGGIE
    Yer pal,

    SMEGGIE


    A bigger Treo fan than I'll admit.
  20. #20  
    "As a COMMERCIAL PILOT, flying you people around all day long, I feel like I need to say something."

    I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong about this, but where is the evidence that the static you're hearing is caused by on-board cellphones & PDAs, rather than something(s) ground-based or atmospheric? In doing some very quick (and probably incomplete) Googling, I wasn't able to find any references to any studies demonstrating this "static" effect. (All the studies I could find had to do with potential navigational interference, which they've been unable to demonstrate.) Of course, if you put a Blackberry literally right next to another electronic device (i.e., just inches away), you can get some noise, but that wouldn't be the case on an airplane.

    Thanks.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions